Gustav Nyquist to the Red Wings, is it time?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Kinda weird that ended up in the CBA. I thought for sure they'd grandfather the old deals. It was always my defense of why the contracts weren't such a big deal, but with the changes, uh oh, yeah... :(

On the upside, most other major teams are in the same boat. Like Minnesota, boy howdy, those two contracts are looking pretty monstrous right now. Those guys both have to play until they are 41. No big deal, right?

I think Bettman was pissed by GMs working around the last CBA so blatantly and so quickly. Just look at how ridiculous the penalty was that they eventually slammed NJ with. I'm sorta surprised he got the owners to sign off on it, but it doesn't surprise me that it's something the league pushed for.

And I'd be nervous about the Parise deal if I'm Minny. That guy relies a lot on his legs, and skating tends to slip when players hit their thirties. And we think the Franzen deal is scary.

we like our team*

parise scores a lot of his goals around the net though which i don't think skating will effect much. who knows though

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
parise scores a lot of his goals around the net though which i don't think skating will effect much. who knows though

Modano was the Parise, but better, of his day and he wasn't better than a 30-40 point guy by 40. That's a best case scenario I think.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Modano was the Parise, but better, of his day and he wasn't better than a 30-40 point guy by 40. That's a best case scenario I think.

Best situation would be Minny trading him for the last ~3 years of his contract to a team looking for a vet middle 6 forward, while eating up to half of his salary. They might even get good value in a situation like that. But at that time, his contract will look worse than even Heatley's does now, I'd imagine.

Aug 6, 2012
Three straight 3-point nights for Gus. He now leads the AHL in points by 1 and in PPG by a considerable margin. 55 points (21 goals) in 52 games, I think he deserves to play in Detroit. He may still be a bit weak but not so much that he can't succeed in the NHL. If Gus were to get called up I wouldn't mind seeing something like this (using Babcock's tendencies):

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Nyquist - Datsyuk - Cleary
Tatar - Andersson/Filppula - Eaves
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Tootoo

I think its a real possibility seeing as Helm, Bert, and Sammy aren't close to returning. It would just move Miller to the press-box. I don't know the situation with Filppula, but if he does return and the Helm situation doesn't get any better, maybe he plays 3C even though I never thought it would happen. It would make him cheaper to resign (hopefully he'd still want to), Cleary gets to stay next to Datsyuk (for Babs), and Andersson can finish the year in the AHL. But if I were Babs is do something like this:

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filppula - Zetterberg - Tatar
Miller - Andersson - Eaves

Our problem is if we move Tats up the lineup our 3rd line is gonna be a weakness again. Its a choice between having competent wingers for Datsyuk or having a 3rd line that can chip in a little more offensively.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
But if I were Babs is do something like this:

Filppula - Zetterberg - Tatar
Miller - Andersson - Eaves

Our problem is if we move Tats up the lineup our 3rd line is gonna be a weakness again. Its a choice between having competent wingers for Datsyuk or having a 3rd line that can chip in a little more offensively.
Your missing Brunner.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's frustrating that when he actually does get a call-up he gets 9 minutes of ice times with turds, maybe 1 shift with some actual good players, and if he doesn't have a goal or assist by the 3rd period he gets benched and then gets sent to GR. Guy will provide you offense at the NHL level if you give him a couple games to get settled in, and some linemates to establish chemistry with.

As far as the whole weakness agrument concerns. Yeah he's not the strongest guy at this stage in his career, but their are plenty of guys physically like him succeeding in the NHL. If you want proof just look on our team at Brunner. Yeah the guy loses board battles and gets knocked around a bit. That sucks. But the guy has 10 goals, and if you get him the puck around the net he is dynamite.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My bad. With Nyquist up I'd like to see this but its never gonna happen.

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner
Tatar - Andersson - Tootoo
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Eaves

Wow I like that line-up.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I am going to say that he is not quite ready. He is awfully close but he is worse than cleary about gaining the zone circling and being pushed off the puck. He has good potential and offensive upside but the last time I watched him play with the wings he looked very soft. If he gains ten pounds this offseason he may be a second line player.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If he was healthy I think a line of Tatar-Helm-Tootoo would be ****ing awesome.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I'd probably switch Tootoo and Eaves, 3rd line has worked well that way and Tootoo probably will be at his best on the 4th line, maybe inspire Abby to hit a bit. But something like that is exactly what I want too.

That lineup won't happen unless Sammy stays injured and Cleary gets injured as well.

Babcock has some mad manlove for Danny boy. Sigh.

Aug 6, 2012
I'd probably switch Tootoo and Eaves, 3rd line has worked well that way and Tootoo probably will be at his best on the 4th line, maybe inspire Abby to hit a bit. But something like that is exactly what I want too.

That lineup won't happen unless Sammy stays injured and Cleary gets injured as well.

Babcock has some mad manlove for Danny boy. Sigh.

Good point, that third line has been awesome.

Yeah its never going to happen, but that lineup is definitely better than anything we're icing right now. Its depressing to think about :laugh:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Nyquist leading the AHL in points? Guess he needs to develop more.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The "not strong enough" argument is bunk. He's 23 years old - not 19. He's not going to get stronger naturally. He's not going to get stronger playing against AHLers who he CLEARLY can already dominate. You know how he's going to get stronger? By playing against NHL caliber players each night.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The "not strong enough" argument is bunk. He's 23 years old - not 19. He's not going to get stronger naturally. He's not going to get stronger playing against AHLers who he CLEARLY can already dominate. You know how he's going to get stronger? By playing against NHL caliber players each night.

But he's so much smaller than Tatar. Obviously he needs to do some more strengthening over the next couple decades before he's ready.

This is not about age, strength, or performance anymore. Nyquist has at every single level, proven himself able. What he needs now is a consistent chance. I was completely aware of how weak he looked in his couple of games up this year. I pointed it out here. But all he's doing in the AHL right now is treading water. He's got to sink or swim in the NHL.

Give him a stretch of 10 games with a scoring line. Hell, Babcock has already shown he doesn't care about production, he's had Datsyuk with Abby and Cleary for a bunch of games already and they've put up nothing at ES. Give Nyquist that same opportunity. If he can't do anything with it, then that's that. He's a likely bust. But let's at least TRY?

It's just amazing that some players never have to prove themselves, like Cleary, Abby, Franzen, Quincey, Kronwall. And other players are constantly in the doghouse. Kindl, Filppula, Nyquist. It's like, if you're on Babcock's secret list, no matter how terrible you play, you're not getting scratched or demoted. But if you're not on it, heaven forbid you don't score a hattrick every shift, because if you don't, good luck seeing the ice again.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Probably going to be a situation similar to Kadri where the organization doesn't like him for whatever reason. Then when he finally comes up he produces and everyone wonders why the hell he wasn't up sooner.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Probably going to be a situation similar to Kadri where the organization doesn't like him for whatever reason. Then when he finally comes up he produces and everyone wonders why the hell he wasn't up sooner.

They want him to dominate at lower level. And we are pretty near of those days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad