Gustav Nyquist to the Red Wings, is it time?

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I think it's time to put a winged wheel on Gustav Nyquist's chest. I'm tired of seeing a PPG+ player in Grand Rapids not being utilized by the struggling Red Wings. He has dressed and played for a game here and there but never given a serious stint. He has more offensive skills and pro potential than many of the players already in the Red Wings lineup (Tatar, Miller, Eaves, Abdelkader, Emmerton, Andersson...not to mention Cleary and Sammy). I realize that he doesn't have the NHL games that these guys do under his belt, but there's only one way he is going to get them and that is to play. He as earned a solid stint with the team, not 1 game this month and a game 2 weeks later.... Its time to call him up for a solid stint. The Red Wings need offense nearly as bad as consistent defense. The PP is a perfect example of the shameful conversion of scoring chances, and even strength conversion often struggles as well. The way I see it the Wings might as well get him playing and acclimated to NHL play before the playoffs and next years full season (possibly in a faster, more competitive division and conference). Anyone else agree with me?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Nearly everyone on this board will agree with you. The two biggest people we have to convince are Ken and Mike.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Someone explain this to me-

Nyquist last season plays 19 games, we haven't seen Tatar since 2010-11, and he only played 1 game! WTH? Shouldn't Nyquist have continued his development and been 1st to earn a spot this season? Instead somehow Tatar (and Andersson) leapfrogged him. What is going on with Nyquist? Or better yet, what is the strategy of playing only 1 of these players at a time? I thought Nyquil was our top prospect (next to Smith), How is it that it is actually Tatar?

polymath

Feb 15, 2013
Someone explain this to me-

Nyquist last season plays 19 games, we haven't seen Tatar since 2010-11, and he only played 1 game! WTH? Shouldn't Nyquist have continued his development and been 1st to earn a spot this season? Instead somehow Tatar (and Andersson) leapfrogged him. What is going on with Nyquist? Or better yet, what is the strategy of playing only 1 of these players at a time? I thought Nyquil was our top prospect (next to Smith), How is it that it is actually Tatar?

Determination, also I think that Tatar benefited from the last years World Champ. Slovakia is currently playing a lot of young guys which was not the case before mainly because of a lack of good prospects years however recently 95 and 96 is looking as a very strong year. (Reway, Dano, Cehlarik Koys and many more)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
you're crazy if you think we need a guy like Nyquist in the lineup

Cleary and Abdelkader are among the best top 6 players in the entire NHL

I think Cleary has a legit shot at the Hart trophy

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nyquist deserves to be up, but this isn't the time to bring him up. We're a mash unit right now, and we'd just be throwing him to the wolves. If he was a bit bigger, or a bit stronger, yeah, I think he could handle it. Right now I'd pull Sheahan up before him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The main point that many seem to be missing is that Tatar is playing on the third line. To complain about wanting Tatar on a scoring line would likely result in him heading back down to Grand Rapids. Nyquist is a scoring line forward while Tatar is more of a Jiri Hudler middle 6 guy.

It's obvious Babcock wants some bigger bodies on the scoring lines to be able to go toe to toe with bigger forwards around the league. Kopitar is 6'3". Thornton is 6'4". Guys like Z and Pavs are strong enough to hold their own. Nyquist isn't, and so the way I see Nyquist on a scoring line is when we have a big body on the other wing. To put a line out there with Filppula (nursing an injury), Pavs and Nyquist would likely result in us getting outmuscled and teams getting plenty of great scoring chances in the slot area.

That's why I've been pushing for Sheahan to get a shot. He's got the size and defensive capability to hold his own. He's also got more scoring upside than Abby or Cleary. We have been getting pucks to the net and juicy rebounds, we just don't have guys who can bury them.

I personally think Mule gets bought out. Wouldn't it be good to find out if Sheahan can play in our top 6 if you need to part ways with Franzen? If we get lucky and can sign Perry this summer then you can go with.

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Brunner
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Perry
Tatar-Filppula-Samuelsson
Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo
Emmerton or Andersson

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wouldn't mind Franzen being bought out. Guy put in another lazy performance last night. I don't get how a guy his size can be so weak on his skates all the time.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
I wouldn't mind Franzen being bought out. Guy put in another lazy performance last night. I don't get how a guy his size can be so weak on his skates all the time.

My first order of business 7/1/13 would be signing the buyout paperwork for Franzen that my staff had printed on January 20, 2013. I keep it in a glass case with a smooth Cuban on full display.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

My first order of business 7/1/13 would be signing the buyout paperwork for Franzen that my staff had printed on January 20, 2013. I keep it in a glass case with a smooth Cuban on full display.

I gotta think we could get futures from a team like Pittsburgh or Vancouver, even with his contract. What's the cap penalty if he retires early?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, after a hip flexor injury, it would be absolutely superb idea to push your body with 110% effort in the first game.

Mule being bought out, when will this unreasonable buyout-discussion end? It will never happen.

I understand if you want to trade him, but this buyout-discussion is just total waste of time. Like beliving in Santa Claus.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
great idea

let's buy out our guy that has paced 30+ goals 5 seasons in a row and is 98th among forwards in the NHL in cap hit :laugh:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
great idea

let's buy out our guy that has paced 30+ goals 5 seasons in a row and is 98th among forwards in the NHL in cap hit :laugh:

I think what drives a lot of it is worry about him retiring early. Someone ran numbers on him and Z retiring with two years left on their contracts, and the cap hit we'd be penalized with for Franzen was under $3m. Something annoying, but manageable. Z's was over $5m...

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
The main point that many seem to be missing is that Tatar is playing on the third line. To complain about wanting Tatar on a scoring line would likely result in him heading back down to Grand Rapids. Nyquist is a scoring line forward while Tatar is more of a Jiri Hudler Valtteri Filppula middle 6 guy.

Fixed that for you.

It's obvious Babcock wants some bigger bodies on the scoring lines to be able to go toe to toe with bigger forwards around the league. Kopitar is 6'3". Thornton is 6'4". Guys like Z and Pavs are strong enough to hold their own. Nyquist isn't, and so the way I see Nyquist on a scoring line is when we have a big body on the other wing. To put a line out there with Filppula (nursing an injury), Pavs and Nyquist would likely result in us getting outmuscled and teams getting plenty of great scoring chances in the slot area.

Yeah... Filppula on one wing and an undersized guy who shall remain nameless on the other wing made such a bad combination last year. :sarcasm:

That's why I've been pushing for Sheahan to get a shot. He's got the size and defensive capability to hold his own. He's also got more scoring upside than Abby or Cleary. We have been getting pucks to the net and juicy rebounds, we just don't have guys who can bury them.

I personally think Mule gets bought out. Wouldn't it be good to find out if Sheahan can play in our top 6 if you need to part ways with Franzen? If we get lucky and can sign Perry this summer then you can go with.

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Brunner

Please dear god no.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Perry

Works for me.

Tatar-Filppula-Samuelsson

Sure.

Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo

I've been pushing this line since July.

Emmerton or Andersson

Problems:

So far this season, I think Emmerton has significantly outplayed Abdelkader. Also, despite how nice the fit seems, I don't think Helm is pushed back down to line 4 in the near future. The most logical solution to Helm on the third line, yet still keeping him with Tootoo, signing Perry, and buying out Franzen, is this:

Filppula/Nyquist-Zetterberg-Brunner
Nyquist/Filppula-Datsyuk-Perry
Tatar-Helm-Tootoo
Bertuzzi-Emmerton-Samuelsson

Two first lines and two third lines. Emmerton makes far more sense between Bert and Sammy than Abby does; he's a better playmaker and offensive player in general, so he can use them for that strength. But he's a solid defensive player - probably better defensively than Abs, although not so physical, and works out just fine in the bottom six.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, after a hip flexor injury, it would be absolutely superb idea to push your body with 110% effort in the first game.

Mule being bought out, when will this unreasonable buyout-discussion end? It will never happen.

I understand if you want to trade him, but this buyout-discussion is just total waste of time. Like beliving in Santa Claus.

I never said it was realistic, just that I wanted it to happen.

And your hip flexor excuse is just dumb.

1. He didn't play any worse than he has before. He looked the same. So unless his hip has been a problem for 2+ years, you've got nothing there.

2. If his hip is actually bothering him so much he can't even take or give contact without falling down and taking 5 seconds to get up, he should have stayed off the ice.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I think it's a no brainier to play Gustav Nyquist now. He's earned it and the wings need him.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I like Andersson over Emmerton. He's more physical. He's better defensively. And he produces. I think his overall hockey IQ is better too. The only thing is the face-off dot. I;m sure Andersson will be better at that in the long run.

Emmerton has better hands, sure. But he doesn't use them. I think Andersson has a heavier shot; plus he has a good shot too.

So make him the 4th line guy/center going forward.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I like Andersson over Emmerton. He's more physical. He's better defensively. And he produces. I think his overall hockey IQ is better too. The only thing is the face-off dot. I;m sure Andersson will be better at that in the long run.

Emmerton has better hands, sure. But he doesn't use them. I think Andersson has a heavier shot; plus he has a good shot too.

So make him the 4th line guy/center going forward.

So your saying put Emmerton back in GR and put Nyquist on the wings roster?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think what drives a lot of it is worry about him retiring early. Someone ran numbers on him and Z retiring with two years left on their contracts, and the cap hit we'd be penalized with for Franzen was under $3m. Something annoying, but manageable. Z's was over $5m...

Kinda weird that ended up in the CBA. I thought for sure they'd grandfather the old deals. It was always my defense of why the contracts weren't such a big deal, but with the changes, uh oh, yeah... :(

On the upside, most other major teams are in the same boat. Like Minnesota, boy howdy, those two contracts are looking pretty monstrous right now. Those guys both have to play until they are 41. No big deal, right?

we like our team*

it's time

time to bring him up for one game, bench him halfway through and send him back to the ahl :sarcasm:

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I think it is. We'll never know what we have until we give him an extended chance at the NHL level.

The problem is that we are stuck with Mike "Try the same thing again and again until it works" Babcock.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
it's time

time to bring him up for one game, bench him halfway through and send him back to the ahl :sarcasm:
yes that makes sense, it wont confuse him or make him feel bummed out, and one game gives him tonnes of time to get used to the nhl and develop. An excellent player developing strategy. I'm very impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad