Gustav Nyquist to the Red Wings, is it time?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Probably going to be a situation similar to Kadri where the organization doesn't like him for whatever reason. Then when he finally comes up he produces and everyone wonders why the hell he wasn't up sooner.

To bad we don't have someone like Don Cherry actively campaigning for Nyquist and calling the Wings organization Pejorative Slured.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But he's so much smaller than Tatar. Obviously he needs to do some more strengthening over the next couple decades before he's ready.

This is not about age, strength, or performance anymore. Nyquist has at every single level, proven himself able. What he needs now is a consistent chance. I was completely aware of how weak he looked in his couple of games up this year. I pointed it out here. But all he's doing in the AHL right now is treading water. He's got to sink or swim in the NHL.

Give him a stretch of 10 games with a scoring line. Hell, Babcock has already shown he doesn't care about production, he's had Datsyuk with Abby and Cleary for a bunch of games already and they've put up nothing at ES. Give Nyquist that same opportunity. If he can't do anything with it, then that's that. He's a likely bust. But let's at least TRY?

It's just amazing that some players never have to prove themselves, like Cleary, Abby, Franzen, Quincey, Kronwall. And other players are constantly in the doghouse. Kindl, Filppula, Nyquist. It's like, if you're on Babcock's secret list, no matter how terrible you play, you're not getting scratched or demoted. But if you're not on it, heaven forbid you don't score a hattrick every shift, because if you don't, good luck seeing the ice again.

Until we get enough healthy bodies back to where Abby and Cleary aren't in the top6, I doubt we see anyone else called up unless it's a necessity.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The "not strong enough" argument is bunk. He's 23 years old - not 19. He's not going to get stronger naturally. He's not going to get stronger playing against AHLers who he CLEARLY can already dominate. You know how he's going to get stronger? By playing against NHL caliber players each night.

Tomas Tatar- 5'10", 186 lbs... has shown the ability to compete and be effective in the NHL

Brad Marchand- 5'9" 183 lbs... also not a large guy, but I would trade any Detroit winger for him straight up (we'd actually have to go Detroit winger+ to get him in a deal) and not think twice about it. Plays way bigger than his size would indicate.

Gustav Nyquist- 5'11" 185 lbs... clearly is not physically ready for the NHL, needs to bulk up, no comparable players his size in the league to reference... :sarcasm:

Gus would help out an offense that is struggling to score lately. Don't think he'd make or break the season for the Wings, but I'd like to see his NHL career get started.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We need Nyquist up bad. I watch the Wings and I see 1 line out of 4 that generates actual legitimate scoring chances. It is a problem. I know Babs wants to play 'safe' hockey and try to win games 2-1 or 1-0 right now. But if they take Zetterberg's line out of the game we have no answer. We need to switch it up here. We have too many guys in the line-up who don't hurt you, but don't help you either. We need a game-breaker or a playmaker offensively. Tatar is a nice spark. It'd be nice to have another.

CloneHakanPlease*

Still boggles my mind he hasn't been given more of a shot.

If I were him I'd be pissed and starting to question how much longer I can take riding the buses. It's not like he is oblivious to Abdelkader playing top 6 minutes and having one assist all season.

Last edited by a moderator:

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Nyquist? Dude we got Abby bro. It's just bad luck that he hasn't scored yet... just bad luck. lol.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Nyquist? Dude we got Abby bro. It's just bad luck that he hasn't scored yet... just bad luck. lol.

He was our grinder/fighter but now we got Tootoo so what's the point. Why put a person with that low of skill on Datsyuk's wing. If you can't score with Datsyuk as your center you're hopeless.

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
Datsyukhas to be frustrated also. I mean when I played when I was younger I was a good player on a bad team. I had two wingers that stunk, and even though I liked em personally, I would get so frustrated during games and start becoming selfish

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Nyquist may have weight, he doesn't have strength. You people need to realize that.

He's physically adapted to the AHL. Given a solid stint in the NHL will help him adapt to the NHL's physicality and get his physique into NHL caliber it needs to be at to play at that level. He will only get stronger at a higher level.

DatsyukianDeke*

Nyquist may have weight, he doesn't have strength. You people need to realize that.

Where is Abby's weight and 'strength' getting him ? 1 assist. Why not Anderson on Pavel's wing then ? he has 6 points in 12 games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Neither does Brunner. You know the guy making things happen every shift he plays.

He also has Franzen (or Flip) and Z next to him. If we could get healthy enough to have Datsyuk and Flip lineup next to either Nyquist or Tatar, it makes it a lot easier to send the rookie out there.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Neither does Brunner. You know the guy making things happen every shift he plays.

Brunner? The guy who has lost us several points this season because of his awful defensive play? Also I never said Abdelkader should be playing with Datsyuk, Abdelkader is a hell of a lot better than Nyquist along the boards.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Abby is I think, the lowest skill forward on our team. Compared to anyone in the top6? Yes, for sure. Tatar? Yes. Tootoo? Yes. Eaves, Miller, yes. Even the injured guys like Bert, Sammy, Filp. Of course yes. Emmerton? Andersson? Maybe, but I still think yes.

Okay, so don't call up Nyquist, don't move up Tatar. Whatever. Just put someone else up there for Abby. He is the lowest skill guy you could put on that line. It is so frustrating to watch.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brunner? The guy who has lost us several points this season because of his awful defensive play?

You don't really need a great defensive winger when you're top 2 centers are zettrerberg and datsyuk. He has scored more goals than he has cost us.

Abdelkader is a hell of a lot better than Nyquist along the boards.

Yup Abdelkader is good defensively and along the boards. But the point of playing on a scoring line, is to contribute to scoring. Guy has 1 pt in 23 games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Brunner? The guy who has lost us several points this season because of his awful defensive play? Also I never said Abdelkader should be playing with Datsyuk, Abdelkader is a hell of a lot better than Nyquist along the boards.

Brunner was fantastic last game back checking and being physical. The message of his defensive woes has been sent and he's acting accordingly. It's pretty obvious that he wants to improve his 2-way game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->