Speculation: Gustafsson

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
People are forgetting about the expansion draft here I think.

We can only protect 3 Dmen.
Keith, Seabrook, and Jokiharju/Murphy/Gus.

We can't hold onto all these guys, one of the 3 guys are going to have to be traded, unless Keith and Seabs do the Hawks a huge solid and waive their NMC for the draft.

You are going to have to lose one player to the expansion draft no matter how you play it. I don't understand the idea of not signing good players, so the player you lose will be worse.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You are going to have to lose one player to the expansion draft no matter how you play it. I don't understand the idea of not signing good players, so the player you lose will be worse.
The idea is trade the player (Murphy or Gus) for futures (assets) and give them a much shittier player instead. At least you get something (assets) in return and don't lose something of great value for nothing.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Florida gave them Riley Smith in order for them to take Marsechault (sp?) and not a Dman. That was awful.
Columbus gave them William Karlsson to take Clarksons contract, and not Josh Anderson.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea to start doing that.

And what would it take for Seattle to not take Murphy or Gus? Here, take Jokiharju instead? Boqvist, Mitchell?

The only way to ensure that the player we lose to Seattle doesn't hurt us is to have shitty players except for the guys they are protecting. So we shouldn't sign anyone we can't protect and ensure the team won't be good? That's backwards thinking.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The idea is trade the player (Murphy or Gus) for futures (assets) and give them a much ****tier player instead. At least you get something (assets) in return and don't lose something of great value for nothing.

Ok so if you trade Gus, then one of Joker and Murphy is still exposed. So trade 2 of them? Where does it end?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Florida gave them Riley Smith in order for them to take Marsechault (sp?) and not a Dman. That was awful.
Columbus gave them William Karlsson to take Clarksons contract, and not Josh Anderson.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea to start doing that.

And what would it take for Seattle to not take Murphy or Gus? Here, take Jokiharju instead? Boqvist, Mitchell?

The prospect will be protected already. Even if Boqvist or Mitchell play next year, they won't be 2 year pros by the time the expansion draft comes about.

And bad GMs making mistakes is different than what I'm talking about...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The only way to ensure that the player we lose to Seattle is to have ****ty players except for the guys they are protecting. So we shouldn't sign anyone we can't protect and ensure the team won't be good? That's backwards thinking.
No, but you have to be aware of it. We can sign Panarin still and not have to worry about it. But they should absolutely prepare for it and get assets for players they may lose that offseason instead of losing them for nothing. If we are competing for a Cup, which I don't see by that time, it's a different story obviously.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The prospect will be protected already. Even if Boqvist or Mitchell play next year, they won't be 2 year pros by the time the expansion draft comes about.

And bad GMs making mistakes is different than what I'm talking about...
I know they will be protected, but you have to give the other team something to not take a player you want to keep.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
When it comes to the expansion draft, you're going to lose a player you don't want to, more likely than not. Pretty much every team does... I'm not gonna concern myself with it right now.

I know they will be protected, but you have to give the other team something to not take a player you want to keep.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that fact...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
When it comes to the expansion draft, you're going to lose a player you don't want to, more likely than not. Pretty much every team does... I'm not gonna concern myself with it right now.
You bet your ass Bowman is concerning himself with it, just like he did the last expansion draft, we barely lost anything in that draft.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The idea is trade the player (Murphy or Gus) for futures (assets) and give them a much ****tier player instead. At least you get something (assets) in return and don't lose something of great value for nothing.

So don't have a good team because then you will lose a good player to the expansion draft? Seems backwards to me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So don't have a good team because then you will lose a good player to the expansion draft? Seems backwards to me.
That's where we differ, I don't see this team contending for a Cup before the expansion draft, whereas maybe you do.

If we aren't competing, why not take the assets and improve the team with those assets after the draft?
If we are contending for the Cup prior to the draft, then yeah, you take a different approach.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I think we should have so many good players that when we lose one, we will still be okay. Seems like a better goal to work towards than having all but 11 guys on your team be shit just to stick it to Seattle.

AKA who cares if we lose a murphy or gus lol like damn we'll be able to recover.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't know, why are we concerning our selves about Gus, since we are not Bowman? It's a messegeboard where we discuss **** like this. :laugh:

:laugh:

Well yeah. I just mean it's a long ways off, so I'm not that worried about it right now. It's not a hot point of discussion for me, and I'm not gonna spend a lot of time debating it.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
That's where we differ, I don't see this team contending for a Cup before the expansion draft, whereas maybe you do.

If we aren't competing, why not take the assets and improve the team with those assets after the draft?
If we are contending for the Cup prior to the draft, then yeah, you take a different approach.
If we aren't competing in 20-21 then trade WAY more than Gus.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
:laugh:

Well yeah. I just mean it's a long ways off, so I'm not that worried about it right now. It's not a hot point of discussion for me, and I'm not gonna spend a lot of time debating it.
I'm just saying it's something that should be considered when you are debating whether or not to trade Gus (or Murphy) now or next year.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't know, whats better?
You are losing them regardless, so lose them for nothing, or get a really good haul for them via trade?

If you trade Gus, then you are still losing Joker/Murp for nothing. There's going to be a guy left without a chair when the music stops whatever they do.

But the expansion draft is 2 years from now. You don't know what Joker will be. Murphy is coming off a back injury. Deciding to move Gus two years in advance of the draft because of expansion draft concerns isn't smart. There's too many moving parts.

I you you think you can sign Gus for good value you do it. Then you make the expansion decision when you have to and you have more information to make a better decision 2 years from now. If you think he wants to much to sign, trade him next year. Expansion draft shouldn't play into it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If you trade Gus, then you are still losing Joker/Murp for nothing. There's going to be a guy left without a chair when the music stops whatever they do.

But the expansion draft is 2 years from now. You don't know what Joker will be. Murphy is coming off a back injury. Deciding to move Gus two years in advance of the draft because of expansion draft concerns isn't smart. There's too many moving parts.

I you you think you can sign Gus for good value you do it. Then you make the expansion decision when you have to and you have more information to make a better decision 2 years from now. If you think he wants to much to sign, trade him next year. Expansion draft shouldn't play into it.
I'd be OK with trading both Murphy and Gus for hauls if we aren't contending next year. You can always trade the futures you get for replacements after the exp draft.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Why would Hawks entertain the thought of trading Murph? It makes no sense whatsoever, IMO.

I still think it's a matter of shopping one of either Gus or Forsling .... and the improved offense of Gus is giving reason to think he may be the better choice to keep.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why would Hawks entertain the thought of trading Murph? It makes no sense whatsoever, IMO.

I still think it's a matter of shopping one of either Gus or Forsling .... and the improved offense of Gus is giving reason to think he may be the better choice to keep.
The thought is they could lose him (Murphy) for nothing in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad