Strome
DeBrincat
Keith
Seabs
Murphy
Joki

Delia

Problem solved

That works assuming we don’t sign any free agents. I didn’t realize it before, but even middle 6 guys are going to get NMCs with the expansion draft looming. So cross guys like Dzingel and Silfverberg of your lists. They are going to go to a team that does the 7-3-1 setup and get their NMC through the expansion draft year.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Isn't there an 8 skaters and a goalie option? If so:
Toews
Kane
Strome
DeBrincat
Keith
Seabs
Murphy
Joki

Delia

Problem solved
Possible, I guess. I'm assuming we are signing a decent free agent forward this year, or next. We'd probably still lose Gus in that situation, so still best to trade him or Murph before it to get assets out of it instead of losing them for nothing.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Possible, I guess. I'm assuming we are signing a decent free agent forward this year, or next. We'd probably still lose Gus in that situation, so still best to trade him or Murph before it to get assets out of it instead of losing them for nothing.
Agreed. I really don't want to lose Murphy and I'd almost rather trade Joki for a similarly talented young F. The Hawks have nobody that brings what Murphy does in the system.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
A lot can happen in two years.
So people can't have a different opinion on where this team will be in two years?
If this team shows a lot more next year, I may change my opinion on the matter.

But as of right now, you have to look ahead to the expansion draft and have a Plan B if this team isn't competing for a Cup next year.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
So people can't have a different opinion on where this team will be in two years?
I think the point people have made time and time again is if you don't think the team can compete in the next 2-3 years, then you have to commit to a full rebuild. Gus should go in that case, but so should a ton of other guys, so focusing on Gus becomes a bit silly.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think the point people have made time and time again is if you don't think the team can compete in the next 2-3 years, then you have to commit to a full rebuild. Gus should go in that case, but so should a ton of other guys, so focusing on Gus becomes a bit silly.
Who else should go? Toews? no, Kane? no. Cat? No, Strome? no. Basically everyone else on this roster I could careless about.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

You can have whatever opinion you want. It’s just very hard to know what the roster will be that far out is all I’m saying. I wouldn’t not sign a free agent just because of the expansion draft or trade someone because of it. I’d rather pay to keep guys because I think we will be competing. A guy like Murphy might not even be here considering what we have in the pipeline.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You can have whatever opinion you want. It’s just very hard to know what the roster will be that far out is all I’m saying. I wouldn’t not sign a free agent just because of the expansion draft or trade someone because of it. I’d rather pay to keep guys because I think we will be competing. A guy like Murphy might not even be here considering what we have in the pipeline.
Of course it is, but it's a discussion board. And GMs absolutely are trading or signing guys with the expansion draft in mind. I'd rather keep a Murphy over a Gus, so it's a discussion point where you have to keep the expansion draft in mind.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Who else should go? Toews? no, Kane? no. Cat? No, Strome? no. Basically everyone else on this roster I could careless about.
Why wouldn't you consider trading some of those guys if you don't believe the team can compete in the next 2-3 years?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

The idea that this team can compete in the next 2 years is predicated on getting Panarin or Stone.

Conservative estimates:

Panarin 10M
Debrincat 7.5M
Strome 6M
Gustafsson 4.5M

Now, I’m not saying I think we will get these guys that cheap, but if we somehow could, do we have room for another 28M in salary after next year?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why wouldn't you consider trading some of those guys if you don't believe the team can compete in the next 2-3 years?
I think Strome and Cat are self explanatory. Kane will still be a world class player in 3-4 years. Toews probably will still be very good, and would be the best mentor for the young guys coming in. Toews is really the only one you could realistically trade, but it won't happen, ever.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
The idea that this team can compete in the next 2 years is predicated on getting Panarin or Stone.

Conservative estimates:

Panarin 10M
Debrincat 7.5M
Strome 6M
Gustafsson 4.5M

Now, I’m not saying I think we will get these guys that cheap, but if we somehow could, do we have room for another 28M in salary after next year?
Chicago Blackhawks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's not incredibly unrealistic given the current salary cap structure.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Strome should be bridged 3x2 this summer and I think he will take it. We saved his career

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Strome should be bridged 3x2 this summer and I think he will take it. We saved his career

It’s incredibly rare for someone to sign an extension with a year left on their ELC, let alone a bridge. I’m not even sure Cat would take a long term deal now.

Strome has every reason to play a full year here next year then cash in.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I think Strome and Cat are self explanatory. Kane will still be a world class player in 3-4 years. Toews probably will still be very good, and would be the best mentor for the young guys coming in. Toews is really the only one you could realistically trade, but it won't happen, ever.
At the start of the 21-22 season, Toews will be 33 and Kane will be 32. As I have shown previously, players performance tends to decline significantly in their early 30s. Maybe both Kane and Toews will continue to be elite players, but it's a major risk. How much more with Keith and Seabrook have declined by then?

Sure you could lock up Strome and Cat, but what are you accomplishing if you do that? They are great players but they are, IMO, not the types of guys who LEAD you to Cups. Basically, they are not a Toews/Kane level combo, even if they are both really really good.

So what are you hoping for? Realistically, with you plan, your only window is when Toews and Kane are still viable with would be 21-22 and 22-23. You are hoping they have not declined to where they are no longer elite players, you are hoping Keith and Seabrook have not declined.

It's just really not a very good plan.

Reactions: LDF

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
It’s incredibly rare for someone to sign an extension with a year left on their ELC, let alone a bridge. I’m not even sure Cat would take a long term deal now.

I wouldn’t say it’s rare. A lot of guys do it for the security.

Reactions: Idionym

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Cat and Strome taking 3 year bridge deals would be interesting.

It would take them to free agency, however those deals would expire at the same time as the Toews and Kane contracts so there'd be a lot more space to lock Strome and Cat up long term.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Cat and Strome taking 3 year bridge deals would be interesting.

It would take them to free agency, however those deals would expire at the same time as the Toews and Kane contracts so there'd be a lot more space to lock Strome and Cat up long term.
I have absolutely no idea why DeBrincat would take a bridge deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad