Speculation: Gustafsson

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah, we're not arguing Gus is good, we're arguing that he's "fine" and when we mean fine we don't mean it in Q speak, we mean actually fine. He's not good, but he's not bad either. Just acceptable. When you can QB a PP and put up points like Gus does, that is all you can ask. If he was actually good on D he'd be a Norris contender.
very true !!!!

and as fans, he is with Kane and Toews is bringing the excitement to this team and we needed it,.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Fine, compare Gus to a poor-man's Josi. I don't care, my main point was that offensive defensemen like Gus (I look at Campbell and Leddy as recent examples from the Hawks) are an asset to a team despite the fact that they aren't killing penalties, shot-blocking, and aren't particularly amazing at winning puck battles.

Karlsson doesn't kill penalties (or at least he didn't in Ottawa, don't know what he's doing in San Jose), shot block, and he's not the best at winning puck battles. But I admit that his skating and vision allows him to move the puck very efficiently out of his own end. I just used him as an example to try to help prove a point.

Karlsson can block shoots, in 16/17 season he come at 2nd place in the entire league in that stat. Not that i think blocking shots is something you should make your best player do.

But i agree even if Gus would be bad defensivly, he still holds value.

BigAlSecord

Apr 11, 2015
The PP has turned this team around. Simple as that. We’re still doing the drop pass that you all hate and somehow managing to score. He keeps the puck in, makes plays and gets pucks on net. Jeez, years of Dunc sucking at it and now you’re complaining. In the tight scoring NHL, it can’t be underrated.

Look at guys who have left Chicago, how have they faired defensively? From what I can tell, most have gotten worse numbers-wise. D is a system, mindset, coaching. Q was pretty good at it. Let’s see if JC can do the same.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The PP has turned this team around. Simple as that. We’re still doing the drop pass that you all hate and somehow managing to score. He keeps the puck in, makes plays and gets pucks on net. Jeez, years of Dunc sucking at it and now you’re complaining. In the tight scoring NHL, it can’t be underrated.

Look at guys who have left Chicago, how have they faired defensively? From what I can tell, most have gotten worse numbers-wise. D is a system, mindset, coaching. Q was pretty good at it. Let’s see if JC can do the same.

Actually if you look a little closer, Hawks have added a twist to the drop back play on the PP. They have added an extra layer that they utilize if the first drop back is covered by ops. They enter the ops zone in waves and it has worked beautifully. If that's JC's doing I'm impressed.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

who specifically are you talking about? Kempny? Leddy? Frolik? Danault? Tevo? all have gotten better defensively (Frolik likely staying the same) away from us, Tevo even gets played on the pk now...Panarin is Panarin and always will be..just not sure who you are talking about? Schmaltz is too soon to tell.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Leddy hasn't gotten better defensively, he's almost the same player he was when he left here. Frolik was a top PKer and shut down guy here, can't get much better defensively than what he was when he was here, Danault was never really here, and TT has just naturally grown as a player.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Leddy hasn't gotten better defensively, he's almost the same player he was when he left here. Frolik was a top PKer and shut down guy here, can't get much better defensively than what he was when he was here, Danault was never really here, and TT has just naturally grown as a player.

So you can’t think of anyone who has gotten worse defensively either?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Leddy has improved leaps and bounds this year...night and day player from before.

I just asked who he was talking about, not sure what he was suggesting.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Leddy has improved leaps and bounds this year...night and day player from before.

I just asked who he was talking about, not sure what he was suggesting.
I don't think so, as a team they play better, but he's the same as he was his last year here and his first year away from CHI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad