Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Why? The salary cap would go up and we would have a few ELC contracts and the ability to move other contracts at that point.

Sure the salary cap is going up, but the Knights cannot afford another 8+ million dollar contract, which i am willing to bet that Gusev is going to want that type of money after two years.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Sure the salary cap is going up, but the Knights cannot afford another 8+ million dollar contract, which i am willing to bet that Gusev is going to want that type of money after two years.

Tatar would be off our books, saving 500k, and we could move on from Pacioretty or Smith in two years, teams turn over a lot in two years. It wouldn't have been a problem if he was worth it. We could easily have kept him, or we could have traded him for a 2nd and 3rd if he was even a decent player in a year or two.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Just ask yourself, would you rather have Tuch or Gusev over the next two years? Keep in mind Tuch's signed a lot longer so no worry about him costing Patches money after two seasons. I know some are taking the view of its being low risk because its a two year deal, but really the risk is on the back end, not the front end, unless there is a worry he completely crashes out and is out of the league in two seasons. But from a production standpoint, I think Tuch's numbers last season are about the high end of what Gusev is capable of at this point. If he doesn't produce close to that on average for the next two seasons, this is not a good contract. Then think about the value of Tuch in that he has better raw skills in terms of his speed and size, plus he doesn't need to adjust to NHL ice or pick up his game in his own end.

Simple point being most are just enamored with what the guy could be and ignoring the importance of contracts in a salary cap world. Basically the difference between how fans saw the game in the past and the people who accept the NHL how it is today. Unless you are talking about a true super star, top 10 player, no player is really worth that much because you have to pay him market rate for his services unless he's under a true rookie contract. Gusev and his agents basically shortcut that stipulation, no one should be happy about that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just ask yourself, would you rather have Tuch or Gusev over the next two years? Keep in mind Tuch's signed a lot longer so no worry about him costing Patches money after two seasons. I know some are taking the view of its being low risk because its a two year deal, but really the risk is on the back end, not the front end, unless there is a worry he completely crashes out and is out of the league in two seasons. But from a production standpoint, I think Tuch's numbers last season are about the high end of what Gusev is capable of at this point. If he doesn't produce close to that on average for the next two seasons, this is not a good contract. Then think about the value of Tuch in that he has better raw skills in terms of his speed and size, plus he doesn't need to adjust to NHL ice or pick up his game in his own end.

Simple point being most are just enamored with what the guy could be and ignoring the importance of contracts in a salary cap world. Basically the difference between how fans saw the game in the past and the people who accept the NHL how it is today. Unless you are talking about a true super star, top 10 player, no player is really worth that much because you have to pay him market rate for his services unless he's under a true rookie contract. Gusev and his agents basically shortcut that stipulation, no one should be happy about that.

We don't know that. All we know is Lawless wrote an article about how great it was that they claimed Zykov to help convince him to burn off his 1 year ELC so he could re-sign for 2 years.

We don't know whether or not he would have come over next season on a 1 year bonus-laden ELC.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
We don't know that. All we know is Lawless wrote an article about how great it was that they claimed Zykov to help convince him to burn off his 1 year ELC so he could re-sign for 2 years.

We don't know whether or not he would have come over next season on a 1 year bonus-laden ELC.

That's irrelevant. Fact is most rookies play out 4 controlled years. He's playing basically one and its barely controlled at that. He's not playing any seasons for under $1m at the NHL level like every other talented player did and for good reason. Even the best of the best needed a couple of seasons to reach elite level and the Devils are paying him for those seasons at 5 times what a first rounder will.

Reactions: mundyc3

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That's irrelevant. Fact is most rookies play out 4 controlled years. He's playing basically one and its barely controlled at that. He's not playing any seasons for under $1m at the NHL level like every other talented player did and for good reason. Even the best of the best needed a couple of seasons to reach elite level and the Devils are paying him for those seasons at 5 times what a first rounder will.

It's not so different from an RFA signing a 2 year bridge before a team commits big money and term. I think a 'bridge' contract is fair given his consistent production in the KHL and internationally against some of the top players in the world.

Vegas mismanaged their cap and they now look to Pirri to fill that 3LW hole over both Gusev and Haula.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
It seems the Knights are a tight knit team

But Gusev practiced with them, and in a crucial game did not blow doors off enough to play game 7
I think he’s a talent for certain, but for you guys, this a a solid move to keep a pretty great top 9.

Gusev wouldn’t have added likelybin middle 6. But something would have had to go too

Cost of early success. Well worth watching from Ducks side fwiw

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I don't think the return is great, but what NJ signed him for? Yeesh- THAT is taking a risk. Yeah, GMGM overpayed some guys to construct this roster, but it's a good team. If he moved guys to sign Goose to a $4.5 AAV deal, I would have been more pissed. Anyway, this kinda seals Eakin as the lame duck 3C. I love him as a player, as I'm sure Gallant does, but he's playing for a contract and we will not have room for him in 2020.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Wait a minute. They could have gotten NJ to take the Clarkson contract as well.

Gawdammit.

Probably would have cost more to trade him away. The Leafs did it cause it apparently helps them sign Marner. Well that is according to the people who know how the cap works.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

If Gusev is worth a $8m contract in two years then that’s a good thing, not a bad thing. Because he would be worth a lot more in a trade then a 2nd round pick two years away and a 3rd next year.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If Gusev is worth a $8m contract in two years then that’s a good thing, not a bad thing. Because he would be worth a lot more in a trade then a 2nd round pick two years away and a 3rd next year.

Absolutely. It also means that the Knights would've had a 60-70 point winger to possibly help win them a Cup.

This is a brutal return, plain & simple. Could've been easily avoided had we not overpaid Reaves, Holden & Flower.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Absolutely. It also means that the Knights would've had a 60-70 point winger to possibly help win them a Cup.

This is a brutal return, plain & simple. Could've been easily avoided had we not overpaid Reaves, Holden & Flower.

Don't you believe the trade market was fully explored? Where was this other side with better picks in light of the outsized contract? And sure it's easy to say MAF was overpaid, but how do you know what the demands were? Should they have played hard ball and said take it or leave it? Then if he left everyone would say what a stupid GM he was.

I just want to know what alternate universe league you guys all follow? Where other GMs give up first rounders for all our trades and don't offer contracts to our players so we can sign them cheap.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I recall the Buffalo GM getting criticized for sending Evander Kane to the Sharks for return he garnered (conditional 1st, 4th and prospect). GM said the Sharks offered the best deal.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

So Gusev is a 60-70 point winger eh? You sure about that? I've seen and heard a lot of ridiculous things but acting like this guy is a guaranteed 60-70 points has gotta be up there. It's possible, sure, but it's also possible the dude isn't nearly as capable of potting the puck when he's getting outworked, outhustled, and straight beaten to the puck on a team who identifies with those things.

Anyway. I have no idea what he's going to be, it's impossible to say. But what is really interesting in all this is how much information McPhee gave out in the interview. He basically said Gusev wasn't big nor fast, and that they didn't project him to the level of success that so many around here obviously do.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Don't you believe the trade market was fully explored? Where was this other side with better picks in light of the outsized contract? And sure it's easy to say MAF was overpaid, but how do you know what the demands were? Should they have played hard ball and said take it or leave it? Then if he left everyone would say what a stupid GM he was.

I just want to know what alternate universe league you guys all follow? Where other GMs give up first rounders for all our trades and don't offer contracts to our players so we can sign them cheap.

Obviously the market was explored (I'm assuming VGK didn't want to trade him to a Western Conference foe), but the return is peanuts considering the potential upside of Gusev.

The Knights were over a barrel. There was no way to get fair value in return...which is why I made the point about overpaying those players last offseason. McPhee blew it last summer, not today.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
So Gusev is a 60-70 point winger eh? You sure about that? I've seen and heard a lot of ridiculous things but acting like this guy is a guaranteed 60-70 points has gotta be up there. It's possible, sure, but it's also possible the dude isn't nearly as capable of potting the puck when he's getting outworked, outhustled, and straight beaten to the puck on a team who identifies with those things.

Anyway. I have no idea what he's going to be, it's impossible to say. But what is really interesting in all this is how much information McPhee gave out in the interview. He basically said Gusev wasn't big nor fast, and that they didn't project him to the level of success that so many around here obviously do.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I see. Super Cake made the point that Gusev might've demanded $8 million when this 2 year contract ended. My point was IF, a big if, but IF Gusev was in line for an $8 million dollar deal, he obviously played extremely well. I NEVER guaranteed he would score 60-70 points. But I digress...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

There were two teams willing to pay real assets for this player who has never played in North America and is two years away from likely exiting his prime as an offensive forward. He might be awesome, but there’s very little meaningful data on him and obviously there’s concerns about his combination of being a bit small and not being very fast. We just do not know.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think the return is great, but what NJ signed him for? Yeesh- THAT is taking a risk. Yeah, GMGM overpayed some guys to construct this roster, but it's a good team. If he moved guys to sign Goose to a $4.5 AAV deal, I would have been more pissed. Anyway, this kinda seals Eakin as the lame duck 3C. I love him as a player, as I'm sure Gallant does, but he's playing for a contract and we will not have room for him in 2020.

We could have fit his 4M with Eakin traded. Glass in the 3C spot with Gusev and Tuch or Smith on his wings. Probably a good way to get him NHL experience.

We chose one year of Eakin over two years of Gusev. And if we needed to pay him 7M after that and trade Pacioretty that's a good thing.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall

Only two teams inquired about Gusev. Sounds like other deal was maybe fewer picks. Tried trading Holden or Reaves, no takers to alleviate cap. Not willing to trade Pacioretty, like chemistry of team.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
We could have fit his 4M with Eakin traded. Glass in the 3C spot with Gusev and Tuch or Smith on his wings. Probably a good way to get him NHL experience.

We chose one year of Eakin over two years of Gusev. And if we needed to pay him 7M after that and trade Pacioretty that's a good thing.

I've been pissed all day after I heard this trade. The team clearly doesn't trust Glass to be the 3rd line center and who knows why they value Reaves and Holden so much.

I stand by my statement that McPhee is a good drafter and an awful trader. I hope Gusev lights the league and all of the McPhee worshippers on Twitter will see how bad he is.

Keeping Eakin makes no sense at all because there's no way that he will get a raise and play on the 3rd line next season. Even the most uneducated hockey fan can see that Eakin won't be back regardless even if he scores 70 points this season.

Management and likely Foley as well believes that this team can win the cup this season because they are banking on known quantities and not willing to take chances on players who haven't played at the NHL level.

Sooner or later the team will have to give Glass a legitimate chance to crack the roster and the same goes for 2 or 3 dmen this year.

I'm glad that I see more people feeling the same way that I do about Reaves, Holden, and Flower being overpaid. I need to find the post on sinbin where I got into it with Ken on twitter about overpaying players will end up hurting the team someday and he said overpaying a few players wouldn't hurt us in the future and link it to him.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
We can play Glass on the Wing over Pirri. In fact, that would be the responsible thing to do. Glass can do other things than just shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad