Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I agree with the above post that the only way to improve this forward group from last year is for Glass to make the team. I assume Glass could play on the wall if need be at the beginning.

I know he is 7-8 years younger and does not have NHL regular season experience but it still seems to me that playing Pirri over Glass hurts the team. Glass is a much better 2-way player, much more defensively competent and responsible.

Pirri, to me, is a liability when on the ice. If he does not chip in a goal you can pretty much be assured that he hurt the team more than helped during his shifts.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree with the above post that the only way to improve this forward group from last year is for Glass to make the team. I assume Glass could play on the wall if need be at the beginning.

I know he is 7-8 years younger and does not have NHL regular season experience but it still seems to me that playing Pirri over Glass hurts the team. Glass is a much better 2-way player, much more defensively competent and responsible.

Pirri, to me, is a liability when on the ice. If he does not chip in a goal you can pretty much be assured that he hurt the team more than helped during his shifts.

I wouldn't hold your breath on him permanently making the roster out of camp. I'm sure McPhee, McCrimmon, and Gallant would all prefer he get some more time developing with semi pros in the AHL.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I wouldn't hold your breath on him permanently making the roster out of camp. I'm sure McPhee, McCrimmon, and Gallant would all prefer he get some more time developing with semi pros in the AHL.
anakin-skywalker-crying.png

They're holding me back

Reactions: HanSolo

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

I’m sure they do. But he can force the issue, as can Hague or Schuldt. We need an infusion of young blood on this team.

I mean, despite our success, we are still an expansion team. We SHOULD be playing some rookies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I’m sure they do. But he can force the issue, as can Hague or Schuldt. We need an infusion of young blood on this team.

I mean, despite our success, we are still an expansion team. We SHOULD be playing some rookies.

All it takes is a few good preseason games where he looks like a wizard on the PP, and they'll have a really hard time sending him to the AHL again. Plus they're very physical in the minors too (the Grand Rapids playoff series was some of the most bush league hockey you'll ever see).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Don't forget Gallant helped bring Gallagher and Galchenyuk into the NHL, and stuck them on a line with Prust to protect them.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
They gave him a deal very similar to Shipachyov's-----He's no longer a Golden Knight.

Vegas signed Gustav to ELS which has maximums on salary (as he was 26). $925k base salary (including $92.5k signing bonus).

Vadim Shipachyov - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Shipachov signed at age 30 (didn't have to go through ELS system). Kept $86k of $2m signing bonus and retired.

How is that "the same"?

(Or are you referring to the deal he got with NJD? :sarcasm: )

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Priskie is an RD who is apparently available. I think Whitecloud is our RD prospect, with Korczak further along.

We have no good established RD on the team. I realize it is adding another rookie to fight it out but there is a top 4 spot that he could win and it is at a need.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The deal he's talking about is obviously the one that they'll find a trade if playing in Vegas isn't an option.

Shippy got the same deal, but he only wanted to play here if he played in the NHL so he peaced out.

Hopefully third time's the charm though and we can actually have Dorofeyev here.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Priskie is an RD who is apparently available. I think Whitecloud is our RD prospect, with Korczak further along.

We have no good established RD on the team. I realize it is adding another rookie to fight it out but there is a top 4 spot that he could win and it is at a need.
Both Schmidt & Theo are more than capable at playing RD, though, so the top4 spot is available for LD's as well.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The deal he's talking about is obviously the one that they'll find a trade if playing in Vegas isn't an option.

Shippy got the same deal, but he only wanted to play here if he played in the NHL so he peaced out.

Hopefully third time's the charm though and we can actually have Dorofeyev here.

I'm becoming convinced they never thought he'd play for them next season, they just wanted to coax him over and flip him to another team to get the assets.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I'm becoming convinced they never thought he'd play for them next season, they just wanted to coax him over and flip him to another team to get the assets.
Considering GMGM's comments about an open bottom 6 spot when Pirri re-signed it seems very plausible, yeah.

Sure, they sent out feelers on Reaves to try and fit Gusev, but I doubt it was anything serious.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
It seems to me now that we fans probably built Gusev up more than we should have, hoping that we lucked out and got another Panarin as a throw in. But only 2 offers tells us a lot. 4 million a year is not bad for a top 6 forward and you would think someone could have stepped up a beaten NJ's offer.

I also don't think they tried very hard to move Reaves. And Eakin it seems was never on the market. If they value 1 year of Eakin over 2 of Gusev them team really must not have had much faith that his game could translate.

Smaller rink, much bigger, faster players...Gusev was never going to equal his KHL production in the NHL but the question is how big of a drop off will there be?

Reactions: Bart9349

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It seems to me now that we fans probably built Gusev up more than we should have, hoping that we lucked out and got another Panarin as a throw in. But only 2 offers tells us a lot. 4 million a year is not bad for a top 6 forward and you would think someone could have stepped up a beaten NJ's offer.

I also don't think they tried very hard to move Reaves. And Eakin it seems was never on the market. If they value 1 year of Eakin over 2 of Gusev them team really must not have had much faith that his game could translate.

Smaller rink, much bigger, faster players...Gusev was never going to equal his KHL production in the NHL but the question is how big of a drop off will there be?

I think if he can be a 20 goal, 50-60 point player that would be another Marchessault player. Would Marchessault lite for two 3rds (you generally subtract one round per year out in value) be considered good? I think Tatar brought a 1st, it isn't likely to be a good value trade for us even if he is decent.

I think they didn't give him enough credit to try to fit him on the team but at this point I'm hoping they refrain from turning around and wasting what assets we did get in the trade on a mediocre rental for the team.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think if he can be a 20 goal, 50-60 point player that would be another Marchessault player. Would Marchessault lite for two 3rds (you generally subtract one round per year out in value) be considered good? I think Tatar brought a 1st, it isn't likely to be a good value trade for us even if he is decent.

I think they didn't give him enough credit to try to fit him on the team but at this point I'm hoping they refrain from turning around and wasting what assets we did get in the trade on a mediocre rental for the team.

What if he put up those points but didn't do much in his own end? He'd be David Perron all over again at about the same price. Marchessault isn't the greatest in his own end, but he's facing other teams #1s so being a slightly negative Corsi is somewhat acceptable, but if you lead the third line to put up a negative Corsi/Fenwick you'll be in the doghouse quickly. Put simply the team doesn't need a lot of production from the third line, they just need to make sure they drive positive play and score more than they allow.

I think that is what they saw in Tatar, but it just didn't work out because he didn't mesh with his linemates whenever he got into the lineup. He has been a very effective player in forcing action and scoring elsewhere. Maybe some of the blame can fall on guys that got shipped off since then. But its clear management and the coaching staff really do value two way play and positive play generation, so putting Gusev into the mix just represented too much risk in their minds.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
What if he put up those points but didn't do much in his own end? He'd be David Perron all over again at about the same price. Marchessault isn't the greatest in his own end, but he's facing other teams #1s so being a slightly negative Corsi is somewhat acceptable, but if you lead the third line to put up a negative Corsi/Fenwick you'll be in the doghouse quickly. Put simply the team doesn't need a lot of production from the third line, they just need to make sure they drive positive play and score more than they allow.

I think that is what they saw in Tatar, but it just didn't work out because he didn't mesh with his linemates whenever he got into the lineup. He has been a very effective player in forcing action and scoring elsewhere. Maybe some of the blame can fall on guys that got shipped off since then. But its clear management and the coaching staff really do value two way play and positive play generation, so putting Gusev into the mix just represented too much risk in their minds.

I think they got less value than they should have but I think I'm prepared to move on and not concern myself with it (until Gusev lights up the league and the trade looks bad) but barring that, I don't want them to spend the picks we have to rent a bottom pairing RD or third line winger (lol) at the trade deadline. We have given up so many young assets in our time, I want us to build so we can be a good team now and going forward for a long time.

EDIT: Third line scoring is a problem the team has always had and it is something that has propelled other teams to Cups, the last four Cup winners all had deep scoring lines and I think we do need to find a solution, maybe it is Glass and Tuch/Smith/Pirri with Nosek but they need more from that line to win.

Pacioretty-Stastny-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Tuch
Nosek-Glass-Smith
Carrier-Eakin-Reaves
Pirri, Zykov

Could be interesting to start out with these lines and see if we can ease Glass into a third line role with plenty of defensive help this way and beef up the fourth line.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad