Prospect Info: Gundstrom: Where is the love?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I like the young wingers here + the ones coming up;

Marner, 21
Nylander, 22
Kapanen, 22
Johnsson, 23
Grundstrom, 21

pretty insane.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I like the young wingers here + the ones coming up;

Marner, 21
Nylander, 22
Kapanen, 22
Johnsson, 23
Grundstrom, 21

pretty insane.

You can see the Shanny plan unfolding with those guys. Lou and Shanny both believe you build from the goalie out. When they started the plan they picked up Andersen, check. Based on news reports they tried to acquire young d-men but no one was trading at a price they could swallow, next step was to build the forward group. While the rest of the league was targeting big forwards, they concentrated on highly skilled fast and effective forwards, forwards other teams passed on because they were small in the NHL world, which is why guys like Bracco fell to us, none of the guys you listed above are big by NHL standards but they are highly skilled, fast and effective.

So basically the Leafs plan was not to follow the typical NHL plan but look for highly skilled players regardless of size.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I ask that question all the time.

He seems to be holding himself back.

The opportunity has obviously been there when you have a Hyman suspension, a Matthews injury, Ennis playing many nights, Johnsson as a healthy scratch, and Leivo traded.

It's obvious that you're in his corner, but why isn't he playing for the big club?

Probably like most players: he's not good enough yet, or he's not overripe enough for Babs.
Huh? He just turned 21 two weeks ago, and he’s played for only about half a season in the AHL. He’s a late 2nd round pick, guys picked in this range are rarely phenoms who make the league at 18-20, most of them get their shot at more like 21-23. Don’t see how he’s “holding himself back”, he’s just young and not yet ready.

To me he looks very promising, like a slightly poor man’s Hornqvist. I think he makes the team at some point next season, but stays in the AHL for the remainder of this year.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
H
Huh? He just turned 21 two weeks ago, and he’s played for only about half a season in the AHL. He’s a late 2nd round pick, guys picked in this range are rarely phenoms who make the league at 18-20, most of them get their shot at more like 21-23. Don’t see how he’s “holding himself back”, he’s just young and not yet ready.

To me he looks very promising, like a slightly poor man’s Hornqvist. I think he makes the team at some point next season, but stays in the AHL for the remainder of this year.

Huh?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A little reality check here. Bracco will never be a good defensive player. I don't like being the bearer of bad news but it will not happen. He can setup and he can finish. What I really like about Bracco is when a BIG game is on the line he is a clutch player. He accelerates his game in the big moment. He still needs to get stronger on his skates. Strengthening his body and legs. He needs to get rid of the baby fat and become a man. When he does look out. He can be every bit as good as Marner.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Just thought it was weird to say “he seems to be holding himself back.” In all the Marlies games I’ve seen of him, he’s been working hard and playing well, haven’t seen any evidence that he’s dogging it. That he hasn’t made the NHL is expected - he’s a late 2nd round pick who only just turned 21, and has only played about half a season in the AHL, he’s not quite NHL ready yet.

For some further perspective about his age, Grundstrom is a 2016 pick, Kapanen a 2014 pick, Johnsson 2013. Kappy was 50/50 NHL/AHL last year, Johnsson almost entirely AHL. So if Grundstrom plays half a season with the Leafs next year, he’d be on a similar path to Kappy, and ahead of Johnsson.

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
A little reality check here. Bracco will never be a good defensive player. I don't like being the bearer of bad news but it will not happen. He can setup and he can finish. What I really like about Bracco is when a BIG game is on the line he is a clutch player. He accelerates his game in the big moment. He still needs to get stronger on his skates. Strengthening his body and legs. He needs to get rid of the baby fat and become a man. When he does look out. He can be every bit as good as Marner.
High praise. I like his skill set ,but Marner? I doubt it. Aren't they the same age? One has two full seasons of NHL experience and is presently in the top 10 of points ,while the other is yet to play an NHL game. Long way to go for Bracco to be viewed as a potential Marner. Late bloomer? That would be cool.I just don't see him having the same motor as Mitch or lateral skating ability and Marner obviously controls the play. I don't see Bracco ever doing that in the NHL. Could still be useful,but there is only room for two skilled players per line on a Babcock team.

Reactions: jaric1862

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think someones getting called up though for that 4th line LW spot whether it be Grundstrom or someone like Marchment or Moore. Similar to what they did with Johnsson last year and Kapanen the year before. Gonna be some internal competition between those guys to see who gets that spot/some playoff experience

Reactions: pacman25

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think someones getting called up though for that 4th line LW spot whether it be Grundstrom or someone like Marchment or Moore. Similar to what they did with Johnsson last year and Kapanen the year before. Gonna be some internal competition between those guys to see who gets that spot/some playoff experience
Was pulling for Marchment . Thought the sandpaper would be useful. Actually,I bet He,Moore and Grundstrom would as good if not better as a fourth line than the one I saw against Tampa.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I like Hyman. I see those guys as modular parts on the line that play the same type of role. It'd be nice if he could pot 15 goals a year, though.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He surely knows he has a nice path laid out for him, as long as he develops nicely in the AHL.

Imo he is cooking just enough and will be ready once spots open up.

I.e
Ennis next year
Marleau the following year.

Reactions: Mork

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's no rush to bring him up.

The Leafs have had more stability on their roster with each passing year since Babcock arrived, and I think that helps make them a better team.

This season there is not a single player who played for both the Leafs and the Marlies. Moore was called up but didn't play. Absent injuries, I don't mind if they keep the players under development on the Marlies for the full year, and then promote at training camp.

Furthermore, there is only one player who actually played for the Leafs this season and is no longer with the team: Josh Leivo. I like that.

By comparison, 15 of the 33 players who played at least one game for the Leafs last year are either with the Marlies or with another organization.

It's 21 of 34 for the season before that, and 36 of the 46 players who took the ice in Babcock's first season are gone as well.

That's a lot of players.

I'm not saying the Leafs should not make any roster moves -- but just that I like the fact that they do have a very stable roster.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No, they really can't...
Skating fast to sometimes retrieve a puck is basic plugger type hockey.Not exactly a rare ability! If he gets possession (which isn't as often as some think) the play still dies.His net presence is a desperate attempt to get a garbage goal but he has sub par hand/eye co-ordination. There are many options for Jt and Marner to be even more productive.They could be dominant. I'm betting he wouldn't bring back any top 6 winger in the league in a one for one swap. Every time that line sees a stacked opponents line(3 talents instead of 2) they get embarrassed.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Brown wasn't too effective
Yeah,leave it to Babs to select the next least likely to succeed to put with two all-stars..If he actually put someone offensively capable he risks being questioned about why Zach is on that line! At least Brown can make a decent pass/shot and reads the play before he acts. Over time I bet Brown would make that line more successful! Zach would be a capable fourth liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad