Prospect Info: Gundstrom: Where is the love?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If we can't sign Rick Nash by trade deadline, we should call Grundstrom up. It'd be good to get him some playoff experience, and he adds a bit more grit to the lineup. He'd look good on that 4th line LW.

Reactions: smitty10

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Let's not rush every good prospect to the NHL. Bad personnel and cap management. We want to bring them up when they are fully cooked and on their ELC.

That being said, Grundstrom should have ample opportunity to impress in training camp next year and make the squad out of camp. I would be looking to bring up the older Mason Marchment if we need more sand paper in the lineup towards year end.

Fortunately, that's what management has been doing. Witness Dermott, Kapanen and Johnsson.

Grundstrom hasn't even played half a season on North American ice and has yet to dominate at that level. Once he starts dominating at that level he'll be promoted.

At this point his development is better served with the Marlies playing in all situations vs. being in the NHL playing only 10 to 12 minutes like Leivo or Ennis.

Reactions: smitty10

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
After last year I was super excited and thought he might get called up this year....but he had a really lack lustre camp. I agree with others here that he’ll over bake with the Marlies and only get a call up this year if injuries/trades come up.

My favourite forward prospect - can’t wait to see him when he makes the jump

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
If we play Boston, we gotta have Marchment. Guy has really improved, he's almost as good as Grundstrom and way nastier.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Grundy not ready yet.
If Boston is matchup then 4th line will be Marchment Goat and Clarkie.
The fists will fly early in that series.
I hope we load up with McQuaid and Simmons too. Because thats what it will take to fight through them.
Once we beat them then all those guys can watch the Tampa series as they are not needed bring up Moore and bring back Lindhol and Ennis.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'd say he's higher than 7th. Moore mostly plays RW these days. Brown is a pure RW too, even though he played his off wing once out of necessity. So that would place him 5th, with one of those a pending UFA, and the others not necessarily long term options for the Leafs.

If the Leafs at some point trade Johnsson or Brown in a larger deal (i.e. for a defenseman), Grundstrom could be the guy they like the most. He could be the power forward they want on the team, without having to pay a ridiculous trade price.
Yup. I have him 5th in depth as well. I bet he gets a look this year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Johnsson Matthews kapanen
:dunno:
fair point, but I think Nylander is a tier or two above those wingers so I'd like to see him included. Also love the idea of the third guy on that line having enough speed to back defenders off so Matthews & Nylander have more room to work, either Kapanen or Johnsson would work imo

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
fair point, but I think Nylander is a tier or two above those wingers so I'd like to see him included. Also love the idea of the third guy on that line having enough speed to back defenders off so Matthews & Nylander have more room to work, either Kapanen or Johnsson would work imo
I think that was the original plan but if willie gets Marleau and Kadri going we might see him stay there.
Personally I wouldn't mind that as we would be a disaster to match up against

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think that was the original plan but if willie gets Marleau and Kadri going we might see him stay there.
Personally I wouldn't mind that as we would be a disaster to match up against
I sort of feel like all 3 of the top lines could use a Marner/Nylander type winger who can get clean zone entry and feed the puck to the middle dangerously. Matthews, Tavares and Kadri are all good finishers within 25 feet when touching the puck for short periods of time, so it would be nice to have a 3rd one. Bracco fits that mold if he turns out, but the Johnsson/Kapanen/Grundstrom/Brown group are more scorers than puck handlers

I guess it will never be perfect

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I sort of feel like all 3 of the top lines could use a Marner/Nylander type winger who can get clean zone entry and feed the puck to the middle dangerously. Matthews, Tavares and Kadri are all good finishers within 25 feet when touching the puck for short periods of time, so it would be nice to have a 3rd one. Bracco fits that mold if he turns out, but the Johnsson/Kapanen/Grundstrom/Brown group are more scorers than puck handlers

I guess it will never be perfect
Well Bracco has turned it up a notch so fingers crossed because I agree that would be a thing of beauty.
I guess this is a good problem to have and one that can be solved internally with a little luck and hard work

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Well Bracco has turned it up a notch so fingers crossed because I agree that would be a thing of beauty.
I guess this is a good problem to have and one that can be solved internally with a little luck and hard work
ya, almost feels like the lines were planned that way and they hoped that another guy that carries the puck into the zone and distributes well would turn out, could be a coincidence but I find it odd that the centers are stylistically similar

and ya for sure, lots of good problems. I didn't think there was much chemistry when Kadri was playing with two of Marleau/Kapanen/Johnsson/Brown so I do see a synergy value with one of those distributor types, Bracco would be ideal if he gets there

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Grundstrom?

Is he that youngest forward on the Marlies playing his first full season on the small ice?

Isn't he coming along nicely in the development league?

that is exactly correct sir!

I guess because there's not 4 threads on him everyday, it seems to some that he's being ignored

let him develop, let him learn the pro game before he starts seeing NHL time, it's not as if he's making mincemeat out of the AHL, he still has a way's to go

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs are kinda stacked on the wing...hence giving Leivo away. Instead of having Grundstrom playing minimal minutes in the NHL, the AHL is the best place for him right now. Not sure if they will be NHLers but wingers Moore, Engall and Bracco have a chance to be NHLers too.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
ya, almost feels like the lines were planned that way and they hoped that another guy that carries the puck into the zone and distributes well would turn out, could be a coincidence but I find it odd that the centers are stylistically similar

and ya for sure, lots of good problems. I didn't think there was much chemistry when Kadri was playing with two of Marleau/Kapanen/Johnsson/Brown so I do see a synergy value with one of those distributor types, Bracco would be ideal if he gets there
I have high Hope's for Bracco. Lots of posters didn't like his decreased scoring, but since he was traded to Windsor he seems to have been working on and improving his 200 foot game.
Putting up points is natural for him so I'm glad he took the other parts of the game seriously too

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I have high Hope's for Bracco. Lots of posters didn't like his decreased scoring, but since he was traded to Windsor he seems to have been working on and improving his 200 foot game.
Putting up points is natural for him so I'm glad he took the other parts of the game seriously too
as a rule I don't pay any attention to scoring rates for first/second year forwards on the Marlies unless they're positive like Grundstrom's. It seems like the organization uses those years to teach guys to play two-way, so the offense-only guys get little scoring opportunity in that window. And really look what that did for Kapanen, he was criticized for his defensive game and now he's a 2 way stud, so it's hard not to like the results.

I do like Bracco starting to roll offensively though, if he can be just good enough defensively and his offense translates then he could be very good

Reactions: saltming

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think we would be better off if he can play the same role on a different line.
I'd really like to have the scoring lines have 3 guys who can at least put away the chances created for them efficiently, Hyman I don't think does that so I'd move him down at least to try it out if Grundstrom got to the big club

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad