Prospect Info: Gundstrom: Where is the love?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Carl Grunstrom seems to be the type of guy the Leafs currently need. He's a talented forward with sandpaper like qualities with a dash of Komarov mixed in.

SCOUTING REPORT Carl Grundstrom Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Toronto Maple Leafs | The Sports Forecaster

Has offensive ability, plus an excellent work rate. Can play either wing position, which adds to his overall value. Isn't shy about physical contact. Is also a pretty good defensive forward. Doesn't have ideal size (6-0, 194 pounds) for the National Hockey League game, so he must add more bulk and strength to maximize output. Needs to become a more consistent scorer.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The defensive and physical contact parts in the scouting report IMO makes this guy look like an ideal 3rd liner alongside of Kadri, they both have gritty, aggressive, skilled, bully type qualities.

Last year in the AHL he scored 1G, 2A in 2GP but in the playoffs his potential blossomed with, 8G, 6A in 20GP. This year he is continuing with last years playoff success with 7G, 11A in 23GP in the 2018-19 regular season.

On the LW depth chart he is 7th behind: 1) Marleau, 2) Hyman, 3) Johnsson, 4) Brown, 5) Ennis, 6) Moore, 7) Grundstrom.

I think you could successfully argue that besides Marleau and Hyman, no one ahead of Grundstrom on the depth chart is an untouchable or guaranteed a roster spot next year. I think it is reasonable to expect Grundstrom to challenge for a 3rd line winger job next year.

I'm looking forward to this guy.

What are your thoughts on this prospect?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I ask that question all the time.

He seems to be holding himself back.

The opportunity has obviously been there when you have a Hyman suspension, a Matthews injury, Ennis playing many nights, Johnsson as a healthy scratch, and Leivo traded.

It's obvious that you're in his corner, but why isn't he playing for the big club?

Probably like most players: he's not good enough yet, or he's not overripe enough for Babs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There's plenty of love for Grundstrom. He had a pretty bad training camp this season but he's been really good for the Marlies. I'd expect him to start pushing for a job next season. With that said, he could be someone dangled in a package deal to acquire immediate NHL help... but we'll see.

Leafs have some pretty underrated LWers coming up in Grundstrom, Marchment and Moore. The latter 2 are probably more in the lower end potential but they should provide quality depth.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Just because Grundstrom is 7th behind others on the LW depth chart, it doesn't mean he needs to play LW to crack the Leafs top 4 lines. Understand in the scouting report it clearly states that he has the ability to play both wing positions. On the right side he is behind Nylander, Marner, and Kapanen. Brown plays his off wing on 4th line when there to allow Ennis to play his LW position.

Trades will be happening soon, that will clear up some positions for his leap to the NHL. There is no doubt that he will be part of the Leafs either by last quarter of this season as Johnsson was last season. Or by beginning of next season.

Keep in mind Marleau only has one more year, Ennis is only signed this season, Brown/Johnsson/Kapanen/Nylander can be included in deals if the right deals come along.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think we'd all love to see Grundstrom challenge for Hyman's job

Wrong, I would love to see Grundstrom added to what Hyman brings. If every player added the tenacity Hyman possesses for his line, we wouldn't be talking so much that the Leafs are soft.

Hyman doesn't need to be replaced, we need more like him for that character trait.

Hyman's puck retrieval, hitting and defensive ability is what drives the Tavares-Marner line. Everyone seems to think that its Marner, but I disagree. Matthews is feeling 5 vs 5 the loss of Hyman on his wing.

Groom Grundstrom to be Matthews winger, and we have a winner.

Grundstrom-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Moore-Brooks-Marchment

This should be our future lineup after next season for the forwards group.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The WJC often separates the wheat from the chaff, and Grundstrom was an absolute bull on skates at the tourney. I don't think him being under 194 pounds is an issue, as the guy is a bloody rock. I expect him to become a top-6 forward as soon as next year.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Carl Grunstrom seems to be the type of guy the Leafs currently need. He's a talented forward with sandpaper like qualities with a dash of Komarov mixed in.

SCOUTING REPORT Carl Grundstrom Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Toronto Maple Leafs | The Sports Forecaster

Has offensive ability, plus an excellent work rate. Can play either wing position, which adds to his overall value. Isn't shy about physical contact. Is also a pretty good defensive forward. Doesn't have ideal size (6-0, 194 pounds) for the National Hockey League game, so he must add more bulk and strength to maximize output. Needs to become a more consistent scorer.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The defensive and physical contact parts in the scouting report IMO makes this guy look like an ideal 3rd liner alongside of Kadri, they both have gritty, aggressive, skilled, bully type qualities.

Last year in the AHL he scored 1G, 2A in 2GP but in the playoffs his potential blossomed with, 8G, 6A in 20GP. This year he is continuing with last years playoff success with 7G, 11A in 23GP in the 2018-19 regular season.

On the LW depth chart he is 7th behind: 1) Marleau, 2) Hyman, 3) Johnsson, 4) Brown, 5) Ennis, 6) Moore, 7) Grundstrom.

I think you could successfully argue that besides Marleau and Hyman, no one ahead of Grundstrom on the depth chart is an untouchable or guaranteed a roster spot next year. I think it is reasonable to expect Grundstrom to challenge for a 3rd line winger job next year.

I'm looking forward to this guy.

What are your thoughts on this prospect?

I'd say he's higher than 7th. Moore mostly plays RW these days. Brown is a pure RW too, even though he played his off wing once out of necessity. So that would place him 5th, with one of those a pending UFA, and the others not necessarily long term options for the Leafs.

If the Leafs at some point trade Johnsson or Brown in a larger deal (i.e. for a defenseman), Grundstrom could be the guy they like the most. He could be the power forward they want on the team, without having to pay a ridiculous trade price.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wrong, I would love to see Grundstrom added to what Hyman brings. If every player added the tenacity Hyman possesses for his line, we wouldn't be talking so much that the Leafs are soft.

Hyman doesn't need to be replaced, we need more like him for that character trait.

Hyman's puck retrieval, hitting and defensive ability is what drives the Tavares-Marner line. Everyone seems to think that its Marner, but I disagree. Matthews is feeling 5 vs 5 the loss of Hyman on his wing.

Groom Grundstrom to be Matthews winger, and we have a winner.

Grundstrom-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Moore-Brooks-Marchment

This should be our future lineup after next season for the forwards group.
I'd love to see Grundstrom add Hyman to the bottom 6 where he belongs. His puck retrieval skills are overrated, he's good at getting to defensemen on dump ins to not let them move the puck and tying it up until reinforcements arrive but he's not very good at takeaways on his own

his defense and PK abilities I agree with, which is why he should be on a checking type line and kill penalties. Hyman's a good player used in the wrong capacity, and his offense has been better this year but leaves a lot to be desired. I'd love to see a Matthews line where the defense has to worry about all 3 players

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
There's plenty of love for Grundstrom. He had a pretty bad training camp this season but he's been really good for the Marlies. I'd expect him to start pushing for a job next season. With that said, he could be someone dangled in a package deal to acquire immediate NHL help... but we'll see.

Leafs have some pretty underrated LWers coming up in Grundstrom, Marchment and Moore. The latter 2 are probably more in the lower end potential but they should provide quality depth.
he looks kinda slow

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Grundstrom is not slow. In fact his speed is one of his best attributes. I have found him a little bit inconsistent in the games I've watched this year. Overall he's been really good but has a tendency to disappear for a period or 2 and sometimes for a game or 2. That can't happen at this level. He needs to work on his bad habits to try and remove them from his game. Finish out the year in the AHL with maybe a cup of coffee with the Leafs toward the end and be available for the playoffs like Kapanen and Johnsson before him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There is plenty of love for Grundstrom and he will be fighting for someone's job next year. Don't forget the expansion draft means we don't want to rush anyone, especially since we don't need to anymore.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Solomon Grundy is a solid prospect that Leafs will need soon enough when cap space becomes scarce.

He is likely Leafs best forward prospect not in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Solomon Grundy is a solid prospect that Leafs will need soon enough when cap space becomes scarce.

I'm hoping Grundstrom/Marchment/Moore can provide for us what Sheary/Rust/Khunackle provided for the Pens during their Cup runs.
You need solid depth and depth that has aggression/forechecking compliment.
People love the skill and rightfully so but you need guys that get involved and do the dirty work people like to give minimal credit for like Hyman.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

This.....

Also, right now they’d lose a player to waivers if he comes up now.
The cap is calculated daily so his 925 in the minors is worse than Goats 650.....not much difference.... but maybe enough to make a difference at the trade deadline.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Brown is likely to be LW for only one more game with Hyman's return to the lineup following that. Ennis is a pending UFA. Should be an opportunity to promote a (left?) winger from within going into next season. Don't see why that couldn't be Grundstrom (and/or perhaps Moore).

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Let's not rush every good prospect to the NHL. Bad personnel and cap management. We want to bring them up when they are fully cooked and on their ELC.

That being said, Grundstrom should have ample opportunity to impress in training camp next year and make the squad out of camp. I would be looking to bring up the older Mason Marchment if we need more sand paper in the lineup towards year end.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Never watch the Marlies but flipped it over last night for a minute and it look like about 40 people in the stands, is that the norm?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad