Guess the date Chia gets fired pool

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia has already done irreparable damage for this season. An interim GM wont have the assets or time to fix it. Key is not letting him make more boneheaded moves whether he is fired tommorow or April. Doesnt make a lick of difference.

He should be fired now anyway.

It's like a toxic cloud that's just hanging over the franchise.

Fire him, make Keith Gretzky the acting interim GM for the time being and start interviewing candidates for the GM position.

We can't even really make trades in good faith because every GM is looking to take us to the cleaners given the current GM's track record.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Talking to a friend of mine whose in the Edmonton sports media and he is guessing Chiarelli might be canned once the team heads into the All Star Break. Anyone have this Wednesday as the date?

(note I underlined guessing as he does not have any inside information that it might happen, just his hunch)

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I figure April 15th is the day it'll be officially announced, with his replacement announced on the 23rd. I'd prefer sooner, but I think he gets the remainder of the season to dig an even deeper hole for the next GM.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Talking to a friend of mine whose in the Edmonton sports media and he is guessing Chiarelli might be canned once the team heads into the All Star Break. Anyone have this Wednesday as the date?

(note I underlined guessing as he does not have any inside information that it might happen, just his hunch)

Now would be a good time as any to do it. All-Star break gives them time to regroup.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
If Detroit annihilates us tomorrow, agreed with above the posters, that he'll get fired during the all-star break

But I would feel really bad for the new GM right off the hop. He's going to inherit the mess baldy mcgee has built and there's little to nothing he can do until the off-season. Most fans will understand this and just be glad Chia is gone, but some donkey fans will blame the new GM too, for not altering this team into a playoff one, mid-season with 30 games left

Reactions: McFuhryous

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Detroit annihilates us tomorrow, agreed with above the posters, that he'll get fired during the all-star break

But I would feel really bad for the new GM right off the hop. He's going to inherit the mess baldy mcgee has built and there's little to nothing he can do until the off-season. Most fans will understand this and just be glad Chia is gone, but some donkey fans will blame the new GM too, for not altering this team into a playoff one, mid-season with 30 games left

I think most people can see this is probably a 2 year job minimum to get the ship righted properly.

And y'know the best way to get fans off your ass and keep them off your ass is to make a good move even 50% of the time.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Apparently #FireChiarelli gained some serious traction on Twitter as Sunday went on. In Calgary of all places, lol.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Time: January 21st, 8:00 am; press conference 12:00 that day.

Attendees: Nicholson, W. Gretzky
Fired: Chia
Replacement: Keith Gretzky

Forensic audit:0
Process:3
Patience:2
The Plan:1
Mr. Katz:4

8:00am is coming up fast. Will keep ears open for press conference.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Well. I think it may happen sooner than later now. I expected post season pre draft.
But Chia making it out of the season seems far less possible.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I’ll take a floating target, and say the day after the team goes under .500 (they have treaded this line for the last month, but always stayed at/above it).

Personally I think going into the All-Star break makes the most sense. Gives the replacement a chance to settle in while the heat’s dialed down, and even some time to prepare for the TDL.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Rishaug on 1260: Hasn't seen such an apathetic fan base with this team in his entire career covering the team and that has to catch Katz's and Nicholson's attention (yeah, right).

Mckenzie: Sounded genuinely sad the Oilers are barely competing for a wild card spot after year 4 of McDavid, but hasn't heard if there's any imminent changes coming.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Rishaug on 1260: Hasn't seen such an apathetic fan base with this team in his entire career covering the team and that has to catch Katz's and Nicholson's attention (yeah, right).

Mckenzie: Sounded genuinely sad the Oilers are barely competing for a wild card spot after year 4 of McDavid, but hasn't heard if there's any imminent changes coming.
They're committed to "Playoffs or bust", which unless the Oilers go into a huge tailspin, means that Chiarelli still gets to manage through the TDL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Sounds about right. This fan base isn’t angry. It’s a kicked dog that’s resigned itself to its existence and doesn’t expect any better.

At this point you fire Chiarelli so he doesn’t deal what will almost surely be a top ten pick for Wayne Simmonds and Puljujarvi for Dale Weise.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't even know if I'm interested in Chiarelli's firing anymore when he's likely to be the ONLY one fired.

If he’s the only one fired it’s pointless. Hopefully the new GM has the ability to clean house rather than deal with the OBC in their appointed invented positions by the owner who’d rather have his buddies and their brothers hanging around drinking red wine than building a winning hockey team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If he’s the only one fired it’s pointless. Hopefully the new GM has the ability to clean house rather than deal with the OBC in their appointed invented positions by the owner who’d rather have his buddies and their brothers hanging around drinking red wine than building a winning hockey team.
Agreed with the bolded. His trades are terrible but there have to be people making these recommendations.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sounds about right. This fan base isn’t angry. It’s a kicked dog that’s resigned itself to its existence and doesn’t expect any better.

At this point you fire Chiarelli so he doesn’t deal what will almost surely be a top ten pick for Wayne Simmonds and Puljujarvi for Dale Weise.

I think this fan base might have reached a tipping point this weekend. The only problem is Katz is now an absentee owner on top of being tone deaf to the anger at his brand. He doesn’t even show up here anymore. Just watches the team in NYC and LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad