Guess the date Chia gets fired pool

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Bored waiting for my 3rd delayed flight of the day.

So...Guess the date, who makes the announcement, who his replacement is, who all gets fired and how many times certain buzzwords we’ve all come to know and love are used.

Guess the date and time (within 1 hour): 20 points
Guess the date exactly: 10 points
Miss by a day: 9 points
Miss by 2 days: 8 points
Miss by 3 days: 7 points
Miss by 4-5 days: 5 points
Miss by 6-7 days: 4 points
Miss by 7-30 days: 3 points
Miss by a month - 2 months: 2 points
Miss by more than 2 months: 1 point

Guess the name of the person(s) who are there on the podium to make the announcement: 5 points for every person correct. -5 points for every person incorrect.

Guess the names of everyone who gets fired: 5 points for every person correct. -5 points for every person incorrect.

Guess who the replacement is including if it’s an “interim”. If you choose “Conducting an intensive search for a candidate” and that is what it is that is worth 10 points.
Kieth Gretzky is worth 5 points.
Craig MacTavish is worth 5 points.
Kevin Lowe is worth 5 points
You guess it’s also an Interim GM 5 bonus points.
Anyone else who is not an OBC or Hockey Kanada Krew is worth 10 points
-5 points for an incorrect guess.
NOTE 1 name only OR choose Conducting an intensive search for a candidate. Can choose the Interim tag for bonus points.

Guess the number of times the words “forensic audit” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points
-1 for every number you are off by.

Guess the number of times “process” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Guess the number of times “patience” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Guess the number of times “The Plan” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Guess the number of times “Mr Katz” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Winner receives a pair of Loge seats to an upcoming Oil Kings game And Loge tickets to a preseason Oilers game.

Reactions: Mez

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
When is the deadline for entries? As time goes on the best before date on Chia should be getting closer.

Oh and can family and friends of the OBC participate? (hope not)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well he will not be fired at all. He will be reassigned. Katz doesn;t seem to believe in firing too many people. He'll make him a scout or something and then let his contract run out.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
If we miss the playoffs:
April 7th 2019
3pm MTN

Attendees: ?

Let Go: Chia, Sutter, Howson, Scott, Green

Replacement: Drivesaitl :sarcasm: , "Great" Keith Gretzky

Mentions: Forensic Audit (0), Process (5), Patience (2), The Plan (2), Mr.Katz (0)

Last edited:

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
Man I don't wanna be "that guy" but I doubt it even happens. I mean he makes continuous bad trades and is still around. How? Idk.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bored waiting for my 3rd delayed flight of the day.

So...Guess the date, who makes the announcement, who his replacement is, who all gets fired and how many times certain buzzwords we’ve all come to know and love are used.

Guess the date and time (within 1 hour): 20 points
Guess the date exactly: 10 points
Miss by a day: 9 points
Miss by 2 days: 8 points
Miss by 3 days: 7 points
Miss by 4-5 days: 5 points
Miss by 6-7 days: 4 points
Miss by 7-30 days: 3 points
Miss by a month - 2 months: 2 points
Miss by more than 2 months: 1 point

Guess the name of the person(s) who are there on the podium to make the announcement: 5 points for every person correct. -5 points for every person incorrect.

Guess the names of everyone who gets fired: 5 points for every person correct. -5 points for every person incorrect.

Guess who the replacement is including if it’s an “interim”. If you choose “Conducting an intensive search for a candidate” and that is what it is that is worth 10 points.
Kieth Gretzky is worth 5 points.
Craig MacTavish is worth 5 points.
Kevin Lowe is worth 5 points
You guess it’s also an Interim GM 5 bonus points.
Anyone else who is not an OBC or Hockey Kanada Krew is worth 10 points
-5 points for an incorrect guess.
NOTE 1 name only OR choose Conducting an intensive search for a candidate. Can choose the Interim tag for bonus points.

Guess the number of times the words “forensic audit” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Guess the number of times “process” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Guess the number of times “patience” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Guess the number of times “The Plan” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Guess the number of times “Mr Katz” is used at the press conference.
Exact # - 5 points

Winner receives a pair of Loge seats to an upcoming Oil Kings game And Loge tickets to a preseason Oilers game.

Date: Monday, April 8 2019
Time: Announcement at 9 a.m., presser at 11:00 a.m.
Attendees: The triad of goombas (Lowe, MacT, Nicholson)
Fired: only Chiarelli.
Replacement: Keith Gretzky named interim, and conductive search is on fir the next GM.

Forensic audit: Used zero times.
Process: 8 times
Patience: 5 times
The Plan: 12 times
Mr. Katz: 6 times

***In the extremely unlikely event I win, I live in Med Hat so please donate my tickets to a family or two who could use a night out because they have a child staying at the Stollery Hospital long term.***

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
OP asks some loaded questions. I’m really curious about how all of this plays out.

Who holds the press conference will obviously correlate to how deep the axe cuts. Part of me thinks Lowe was kept around so long so Katz could avoid any kind of public spotlight. Nicholson was brought in as the public face after Lowe became toxic publicly. It can be argued Bobby Nix isn’t any popular than Lowe is now and even if that’s not the case there have been rumours he could be leaving himself. So if not him, then who? Gretzky has become a part owner so he’d be the logical choice but I have a hard time believing he’d want anything to do with having to be involved in a state of the union type of address to the fans. He doesn’t seem like the type to want that kind of responsibility and have to answer those kinds of questions in Edmonton.

We may just get a press release announcing that changes are made or perhaps full page ads in the Sun and Journal explaining them and reminding us that Katz cares deeply and is fully committed to building a winner. One thing I’m certain of is that it won’t be Katz behind a microphone answering any questions. That’s why I’ve stopped spending money on this team.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Pretty sad that I'm almost hoping we don't make the playoffs because I don't see them firing Chia if we do. I'd rather a higher pick and Chia gone then Chia staying another year.

I'm going to go bold and say Feb 18th. A week before the deadline and the Oilers have played themselves out of it by this point. K. Gretzky named interm GM for deadline moves.

Reactions: boredem

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'll play but I don't think they are gonna fire him. He'll "step down" from the GM job and continue to be the POHO.

Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019
Time: 10am announcement, 12pm press conference
Attendees: Bob Nicholson
Fired: Peter Chiarelli
Replacement: Keith Gretzky (interim GM)
Forenisc audit: 2 times
Process: 1
Patience: 2
The Plan: 3
Mr. Katz: 4

Reactions: NeverForget06

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'll play but I don't think they are gonna fire him. He'll "step down" from the GM job and continue to be the POHO.

Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019
Time: 10am announcement, 12pm press conference
Attendees: Bob Nicholson
Fired: Peter Chiarelli
Replacement: Keith Gretzky (interim GM)
Forenisc audit: 2 times
Process: 1
Patience: 2
The Plan: 3
Mr. Katz: 4
I don’t think Chiarelli stepping down from the GM job but hanging onto POHO and just promoting Keith Gretzky will fly any better with the fans or media than when Lowe named Mactavish GM did.

That’s another case of shuffling the deck chairs and the stakes are so much higher now then they were in 2013. The organization still had plenty of hope to sell back then. It was only year three of the rebuild (according to Lowe) and a brand new arena was on the horizon. There was a lot of belief then that the team was ready to turn the corner if it got the right guidance. Fast forward six years and none of that belief exists today. We drafted the best player in the world and our team got worse.

There isn’t much hope left to sell the fan base these days. Whatever they do has to be more significant than playing that same shell game again.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don’t think Chiarelli stepping down from the GM job but hanging onto POHO and just promoting Keith Gretzky will fly any better with the fans or media than when Lowe named Mactavish GM did.

That’s another case of shuffling the deck chairs and the stakes are so much higher now then they were in 2013. The organization still had plenty of hope to sell back then. It was only year three of the rebuild (according to Lowe) and a brand new arena was on the horizon. There was a lot of belief then that the team was ready to turn the corner if it got the right guidance. Fast forward six years and none of that belief exists today. We drafted the best player in the world and our team got worse.

There isn’t much hope left to sell the fan base these days. Whatever they do has to be more significant than playing that same shell game again.
These idiots don't know any better. I'll be shocked if someone actually gets fired.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
These idiots don't know any better. I'll be shocked if someone actually gets fired.
Judging by what I’ve been reading in the STH thread I think we’re getting close to (if we’re not at that point already) where, for the first time since Katz owned the team, that the on ice performance is starting to affect the bottom line. Those three year seat guarantees are up at the end of this season. We may finally be getting to the point where Katz is interesting in taking a look at how he’s running his team and making some tough choices.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
When is the deadline for entries? As time goes on the best before date on Chia should be getting closer.

Oh and can family and friends of the OBC participate? (hope not)

Lets make it the end of the month.

Contest void where prohibited. Family and friends of the OBC can get bent.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

***In the extremely unlikely event I win, I live in Med Hat so please donate my tickets to a family or two who could use a night out because they have a child staying at the Stollery Hospital long term.***

I am still in the sin bin and cant "Like", so Like...:D

Reactions: McFuhryous

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ah, finally back home! Was a long trip for a short time but well worth it. (My son was awarded his PhD in Biomedical Science on Friday in Belgium!)

Time: Press Conference at 11
Attendees: Nicholson, W Gretzky
Fired: Chiarelli, Scott - (new GM will be able to pick his own executive team *cough cough*)
Replacement: Nobody named GM, team announces an exhaustive search for the best candidate will take place over the next few weeks with the new GM to be in place well before the draft.

Forensic audit: 2 times.
Process: 5 times
Patience: 7 times
The Plan: 8 times
Mr. Katz: 10 times

Reactions: Cloned

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Should add a few more prop bets to the contest:

• the number of times an Oilers executive says that "it's fair to say, half the teams in the NHL would trade their rosters for ours"
  • the number of times an Oilers executive says that they "know a thing or two about winning"
  • the number of times an Oilers executive says "you're telling me you're getting impatient after nine years?" (since they always claim the rebuild started in 2010)
Also, Chiarelli won't be fired. He will be promoted as assistant to Bobby Nicks and Keith Gretzky will be GM.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Should add a few more prop bets to the contest:

• the number of times an Oilers executive says that "it's fair to say, half the teams in the NHL would trade their rosters for ours"
  • the number of times an Oilers executive says that they "know a thing or two about winning"
  • the number of times an Oilers executive says "you're telling me you're getting impatient after nine years?" (since they always claim the rebuild started in 2010)

Good ones!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Surprised to see how many think that Chia will just get stripped of his GM title and retain the POHO.....Katz cant be that tone deaf....can he?

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
April 23rd, 11am.
Announcer: Bob Nich.
Attendees: gretzky, lowe,
Fired: Chia
Replacement: Keith Gretzky

Forensic audit: 0
Process:0
Patience:3
The Plan: 1
Mr. Katz:2