Guentzel Vs Nylander

Regardless of contracts who’d you rather?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
(1) ??? Did I ever deny this ? That "Lmao" makes no rational sense.

(2) That's a 18% difference, not 27%. But it's stll sizeable. I know, I know, to you it's not...

(3) You might want to wait until I start losing one.

And I wonder who fisrtused the word "delusional".

I guess I'll have to look it up...

PS: I did and I'm back : not surprised.
again the numbers are low your making them bigger then they are.
less then 30 seconds is the difference thats not a lot, get over it, giving a percentage difference isnt helping your case.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
wow biased i see, in your later example age would matter too it always does for young players. i didnt know i was bringing up a revolutionary concept to you when it was so basic for everyone else.

keep acting like 1.5 years doesnt matter when everyone else knows it does, i guess it helps you case so w.e keep ignoring it.

nylander is more productive at a younger age with lesser linemates that is factual.

Not with lesser linemates. Matthews has a higher ppg than Crosby. Besides, you really think guentzel is a product of Crosby? He scored the same pace as Crosby in last year playoffs and it was evident he wasn't carried.

The age is kind of significant but it's isn't a deal breaker. Nylander could be trending downwards from what we know. He certainly isn't going to do the same damage that guentzel did in the playoffs and that is invaluable.

Reactions: Snowman

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Not with lesser linemates. Matthews has a higher ppg than Crosby. Besides, you really think guentzel is a product of Crosby? He scored the same pace as Crosby in last year playoffs and it was evident he wasn't carried.

The age is kind of significant but it's isn't a deal breaker. Nylander could be trending downwards from what we know. He certainly isn't going to do the same damage that guentzel did in the playoffs and that is invaluable.
matthews was worse until this year but nylander doesnt play with matthews anymore hes on the third line aside from some shifts here and there.

guentzel has been killer in short spurts in the regular season and in the playoffs, hopefully he can string together a nice year for once.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
matthews was worse until this year but nylander doesnt play with matthews anymore hes on the third line aside from some shifts here and there.

guentzel has been killer in short spurts in the regular season and in the playoffs, hopefully he can string together a nice year for once.
Ya and not playing with Matthews this yr shows in his stats.2 pts in 9 games, an 18/19 pt pace.

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
HF makes me laugh...one minute Matthews isn’t even a top 10 centre the next he’s comparable to Sidney Crosby who’s been the best player in the game for a decade. Which is it folks?

Yes, applying 2 different things said by 2 different people makes total sense. If you just pretend HF is a collective whole with 1 opinion, I guess you can rationalize something as dumb as that.

Citing Guentzel playing with Crosby, while Nylander plays with Matthews, is just stupid. It's just like citing a year difference in age.

Reactions: Snowman and LarKing

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It shouldn't because both are top line players already. You're mentioning age solely because it's a benefit for Nylander in your eyes. The age difference is very insignificant and both players are near their upsides already.

Another HF doozy, nearly 2 years of development is now “insignificant” which is counter intuitive to all those Laine vs Matthews arguments I heard when Matthews was a year older lol...”Just watch when Laine is 19” blah blah

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I made a mistake last night when comparing 4:00 to 4:30 of PP time.

The difference is 12.5%, not 18% as I wrote.

Too much wine (without an "h" please note) and bourbon. :booboo:

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Yes, applying 2 different things said by 2 different people makes total sense. If you just pretend HF is a collective whole with 1 opinion, I guess you can rationalize something as dumb as that.

Citing Guentzel playing with Crosby, while Nylander plays with Matthews, is just stupid. It's just like citing a year difference in age.

What two different things? You discount Guentzel playing with Crosby but put forth Nylander is a product of Matthews as your point though Matthews missed a quarter of the season last year and Nylander's numbers didn’t go down.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another HF doozy, nearly 2 years of development is now “insignificant” which is counter intuitive to all those Laine vs Matthews arguments I heard when Matthews was a year older lol...”Just watch when Laine is 19” blah blah

Is this like a problem of yours or something? You can differentiate between who you're discussing with, right? It's really not that hard to not apply arguments you heard by different people in different discussions.

What two different things? You discount Guentzel playing with Crosby but put forth Nylander is a product of Matthews as your point though Matthews missed a quarter of the season last year and Nylander's numbers didn’t go down.

Where did I ever discount it? I never said this.

Do you just not read what you reply to or who you reply to? Or are you just REEEEEEEEEEEing to defend whatever Leafs player you can?

Reactions: Snowman

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Is this like a problem of yours or something? You can differentiate between who you're discussing with, right? It's really not that hard to not apply arguments you heard by different people in different discussions.

Where did I ever discount it? I never said this.

Do you just not read what you reply to or who you reply to? Or are you just REEEEEEEEEEEing to defend whatever Leafs player you can?

I’ve actually advocated trading Nylander for a top defenceman so “your coming to the defence of every Leaf player” argument is in accurate. Your rebuttal to every poster that mentioned Guentzel playing with Crosby was to mention Matthews. Please show me where you gave Crosby any credit for Guentzel’s numbers....I’ll wait.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Idk about most but I’m pretty f***ing close to taking Matthews over Crosby. I wanted to make a poll on it but I think we know how that would turn out so...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’ve actually advocated trading Nylander for a top defenceman so your coming to the defence of every Leaf player is in accurate. Your rebuttal to every poster that mentioned Guentzel playing with Crosby was to mention Matthews. Please show me where you gave Crosby any credit for Guentzel’s numbers....I’ll wait.

My comment was that you can't cite Guentzel playing with Crosby, because Nylander plays with Matthews. My comment wasn't saying "Nylander is a product of Matthews". My point was that both play with elite centers, so you can't cite that with either of them. That was absurdly clear to everyone else, I don't know why you didn't get that.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
My comment was that you can't cite Guentzel playing with Crosby, because Nylander plays with Matthews. My comment wasn't saying "Nylander is a product of Matthews". My point was that both play with elite centers, so you can't cite that with either of them. That was absurdly clear to everyone else, I don't know why you didn't get that.

Sidney Crosby has been the best player in the game for a decade, he’s not just an elite centre....Conor freakin Sheary nearly went PPG on his line two seasons ago which just shows Sid’s elite production. Auston Matthews is in his third season on a team that was dead last in the league two years ago and is ahead on a rebuilding plan, he’s getting there though.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Sidney Crosby has been the best player in the game for a decade, he’s not just an elite centre....Conor freakin Sheary nearly went PPG on his line two seasons ago which just shows Sid’s elite production. Auston Matthews is in his third season on a team that was dead last in the league two years ago and is ahead on a rebuilding plan, he’s getting there though.

Those things are true but mostly irrelevant. Why does Crosby’s impact from 2-10 years ago matter today? Why do the Leafs being a bottom feeder a few years ago matter here? Crosby is still great but no longer the best in the league, while the Leafs are a powerhouse regular season team currently.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Those things are true but mostly irrelevant. Why does Crosby’s impact from 2-10 years ago matter today? Why do the Leafs being a bottom feeder a few years ago matter here? Crosby is still great but no longer the best in the league, while the Leafs are a powerhouse regular season team currently.

How is it irrelvant? Crosby is still a consistent 89 point player while Auston mostly due to injuries still hasn't topped 70. Last I checked, weren’t the Penguins back to back Cup champions in the not so distant past? You can’t compare a team on the rise to one that’s been a force for a near decade.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
How is it irrelvant? Crosby is still a consistent 89 point player while Auston mostly due to injuries still hasn't topped 70. Last I checked, weren’t the Penguins back to back Cup champions in the not so distant past? You can’t compare a team on the rise to one that’s been a force for a near decade.

Because what matters is how they’re playing this season. Sure, sample is important. But right now the Leafs are a better regular season team than the Pens. I don’t think Nylander has a disadvantage here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is a really good poll. If you look at playoff performance you gotta go with Guentzel he sure goes to the middle of the ice well in traffic. Nylander is more talented but I dont think he has as much jam.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think Nylander's ceiling is still higher. He has the type of talent to be MVP of the World Championships as a young player. I still think long-term he develops into a dynamic playmaking centre.

If I had to win the Cup this year, I'd take JG. But long-term I'm with Willy for now.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Ya and not playing with Matthews this yr shows in his stats.2 pts in 9 games, an 18/19 pt pace.
Yeah it has nothing to due with Nylander missing training camp pre season and not being up to speed. You know things that even most basic fans would know that historically has shown to show players not playing up to par.

Or the fact that willy is on the 3rd line getting 15 mins a game.

Nice try.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Nylander's ceiling is still higher. He has the type of talent to be MVP of the World Championships as a young player. I still think long-term he develops into a dynamic playmaking centre.

If I had to win the Cup this year, I'd take JG. But long-term I'm with Willy for now.

I think the difference in play style between Guentzel and Nylander is the same as the difference between Matthews and Eichel. The latter two (Nylander and Eichel) are probably better puck carries through the neutral zone/zone entries and playmaking, but the former two (Guentzel and Matthews) are better around the goal area and at scoring goals.

I think Nylander's got the edge if you looked specifically at "who could drive his own line's offense", but I think Guentzel pulls ahead when you factor in grit, nose for the net, and ability to raise his game in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese