Waived: Guenin waived

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Of course not, but what's the point of having scouts in the AHL then? Are they really going to change their opinion on a 20 year old defenseman just based off a few NHL games? As I mentioned before, there are only 3 defensemen in the NHL younger than Zadorov and Bigras. No smart team is going to change their opinion on two guys that young based off a few games, and the Avs aren't going to risk losing valuable points just so they can showcase a couple of guys.

Change? No. Make them feel comfortable enough with their development, that it's not a big risk to trade for them? Maybe.

Not that I'm saying that's what's going on with Z and Bigras. Just that it's fairly common for teams to ask the other team they're in trade talks with to call up a young prospect, so they can get a look at them against NHLers. Many times the other team declines, because they don't want to risk it negatively affecting their value if they're not ready. Sometimes they do though.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Of course not, but what's the point of having scouts in the AHL then? Are they really going to change their opinion on a 20 year old defenseman just based off a few NHL games? As I mentioned before, there are only 3 defensemen in the NHL younger than Zadorov and Bigras. No smart team is going to change their opinion on two guys that young based off a few games, and the Avs aren't going to risk losing valuable points just so they can showcase a couple of guys.

I haven't watched AHL in years but isn't it a different sized rink with smaller rosters? Could change the dynamic of the game quite drastically. Just a possibility.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I haven't watched AHL in years but isn't it a different sized rink with smaller rosters? Could change the dynamic of the game quite drastically. Just a possibility.

No not at all. They can have more on a roster but it's usually just due to having so many injuries. They will carry the same number as a NHL team ideally. It's very close to the same, it's a less skilled league overall but every team has some top prospects on there too. It's a tough league, more physical and more skating IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm shocked Roy's boy didn't get claimed by one of the other 29 teams. Please send him away now. He might even be able to help the Rampage.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So the Avs might have a deal worked out but it's dependent on if Zadorov or Bigras look good for a game or two, otherwise Tampa might back out? That's what makes no sense to me. I don't believe an NHL team is going to base everything off a very small sample size of NHL games when they've probably seen them play a ton over the last few years. If a 20 year old defenseman struggles (big surprise), they're suddenly going to just back out? I don't buy it at all.

The Avs were playing THREE waiver wire defensemen in the lineup, and were losing games that could have put them squarely in a playoff position. They couldn't afford to mess around anymore, and I don't think they'd mess around with two 20 year olds in the lineup just so they can showcase them for a trade. The games are far too important for that.

Wow...seriously?

That's not even close to what I said. Hell, I even suggested the Avs might want to see those guys against NHL competition so they can decide for THEMSELVES which way they wanna go. Who said anything about a having a deal worked out? It wouldn't be the first time in NHL history that a GM from another team asked to see 'how close a kid is to the NHL' before making (or eventually NOT making) a trade for that player. I've watched enough hockey and heard enough stories over 30+ years to know that it DOES happen now and again.

It's all speculation, I've never once suggested this is for sure what's going on right now. Who the hell knows what they're thinking...it seems to change from week to week.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Things we said in September/October:

* Iginla and Tanguay should play fewer minutes.
* Guenin should be sent to the AHL.
* Mitchell should play on the fourth line.

There is some slight delay in delivery, but better late than never.

Wow...seriously?

That's not even close to what I said. Hell, I even suggested the Avs might want to see those guys against NHL competition so they can decide for THEMSELVES which way they wanna go. Who said anything about a having a deal worked out? It wouldn't be the first time in NHL history that a GM from another team asked to see 'how close a kid is to the NHL' before making (or eventually NOT making) a trade for that player. I've watched enough hockey and heard enough stories over 30+ years to know that it DOES happen now and again.

It's all speculation, I've never once suggested this is for sure what's going on right now. Who the hell knows what they're thinking...it seems to change from week to week.

[MOD]

Ahh, a Bender rant... feels like it's been a while lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
For three reasons (three exciting personell moves) I want to see this game more than any Avs game so far this season. I have to sleep now for work though.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 26s27 seconds ago
Cody Hodgson and Guenin on waivers today.

tumblr_msw64z9qGL1shznkyo1_500.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad