Guelph Storm 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
What GB has done over the last couple of seasons is remarkable. Yes he has his shortcomings, but to bring in the players he did, win the OHL championship, still have a stocked draft cupboard, have plenty of assets still to trade AND be extremely competitive this season, is a testament to his his shrewdness and knowledge of how the OHL cycle works. That being said, I'd love to see a young progressive new coach do that job for him. He deserves a rest. Go Storm!
just think what might have come back in trading the Merk early last year..(season start)..a Cop championship IMO..

Reactions: Northernstormfan

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
with a bitta bounce goin his way... Gogolev coulda had 5 goals.... and he is a good back checker too...an outstanding playmaker....why has he not been drafted..?...

Reactions: HockeyPops

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
giphy.gif

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Don't look now, Guelph sits 2nd in the conference. Haha.

Gogolev at 31 pts in 17 games is driving the play and looking great. Eligible to return next year and undrafted, should fetch a great return.

Last edited:
Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Don't look now, Guelph sits 2nd in the conference. Haha.

Gogolev at 31 pts in 17 games is driving the play and looking great. Eligible to return next year and undrafted, should fetch a great return.
role model for Zylkin etc.. heez #1.. IMO.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
What are people's thoughts on the next "go for it" year? Build around Chayka even though the forwards (Zhilkin) will be 18, boost the Chayka (2002) group through trades this season? Capitalize on Daws being a brick wall and try (somehow) to go next year before he ages out?

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
I remember the debate went on for years after the 2014-2015 Storm did not do a sell off at the end and kept players like Bertuzzi and Dickinson and advanced to the second round before being swept and going two years without the playoffs. This year the scenario is somewhat the same. The big producers this year outside of Chayka are the 19 year olds with a couple of overagers. What is a little different is how tight the Conference is. If the standings stay tight, any thoughts or preferences on what the team does at the trade deal line? I think a little of trading and keeping might work. Hillis is not likely to be back as a Habs prospect. If there is a knock your socks off deal on the table I would be fine with a trade for him. Same with Gordeev. He will not be back as an overager.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Continuing on, I would be inclined to keep Gogolev, Stephenson, and Dawes as they can come back next year as overagers and be traded then when the team will not have as much top notch performers as this year. Gogolev can be a mentor to the Russian players. They can all be traded at next year's (2021) deadline for big returns. If the team is still in the mix for top spot in the division at the trade deadline this January, any deals would have to be significant. My thoughts anyways.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Fine player... fine game GOGO..one night I expect 4-5 goals.... C'mon leafs ..draft this guy.. he and Augustine are pure dynamite.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
What are people's thoughts on the next "go for it" year? Build around Chayka even though the forwards (Zhilkin) will be 18, boost the Chayka (2002) group through trades this season? Capitalize on Daws being a brick wall and try (somehow) to go next year before he ages out?
Why not now? I thought it was insane for you guys to go for it last year and we know how that turned out. Maybe it's time to go back to back. You are a top team after all...

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Thank you Guelph for showing the OHL how to have fun! "Go all in" then rebuild/retool in style! Nice work!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Guelph might choose to stand pat, but I could also see them selling a piece or two out of Daws, Gogolev, Hillis at the deadline. They should hope for a couple of playoff rounds to give their young core some experience.

With their extremely solid group of '02s, I just can't see them dealing roster players to jeopardize that, and so the amount that they could add this year would be fairly minimal. Even if they are one of the top teams at the deadline, their deadline moves will look more like SSM's in Jan 2019 than GUE's in Jan 2019.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Guelph might choose to stand pat, but I could also see them selling a piece or two out of Daws, Gogolev, Hillis at the deadline. They should hope for a couple of playoff rounds to give their young core some experience.

With their extremely solid group of '02s, I just can't see them dealing roster players to jeopardize that, and so the amount that they could add this year would be fairly minimal. Even if they are one of the top teams at the deadline, their deadline moves will look more like SSM's in Jan 2019 than GUE's in Jan 2019.

They won't stand pat, wouldn't make sense. A quiet deadline would be dealing one of Hillis or Gogolev, most likely Gogolev.

They may have the best goalie, but after sellers are determined they don't have the assets this year to load up again. To truly contend for a championship they'd have to add at least 1 top defender and 1-2 top 6 forwards. Not going to happen. Tempting, but no bueno.

The question becomes who is willing to give us their 2002 born first rounder. Daws is making it difficult though. Next year we definitely lose Hillis, Gogolev could be an OA. Gordeev gone. Next year is Daws' last year. He is now a bona fide gem in goal, unfortunate that he couldn't start in a Championship season (well, maybe in different colours.)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The question becomes who is willing to give us their 2002 born first rounder. Daws is making it difficult though. Next year we definitely lose Hillis, Gogolev could be an OA. Gordeev gone. Next year is Daws' last year. He is now a bona fide gem in goal, unfortunate that he couldn't start in a Championship season (well, maybe in different colours.)
Hillis might be back, why do you say definitely not?

You clearly want a 2002 in return for Daws, but you probably don't get a first rounder (unless you get an '03) which is fine. As long as you get a player who is a near lock to be a top-6 forward or top-4 defender in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad