Guelph Storm 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Does anyone have any insight into why Gordeev was sent back this season and didn't get a sniff of the AHL. I know he was an 11th hour signing so I wonder how much that contributes to it?
I know one of the reasons that Gordeev is back is because of his skating skills. They wanted him to work on being a more fluid, faster more confident skater. He is working with a coach and as we've seen so far this year he has improved immensely.

The reason for asking is that Jacob LeGuerrier is as yet unsigned, and I am wondering what are the chances he is returned even if he signs late in the season.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Hey how about that. 2019-20 Storm in the CHL top ten. Congrats guys, you have made many of us proud. Proof that hard work conquers all.

Reactions: sbpointer

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Amazed that nobody else has anything to say to these guys! Quick to complain and put down individuals tho!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Amazed that nobody else has anything to say to these guys! Quick to complain and put down individuals tho!

Point out some complaints and put downs, please. I think you'll have trouble finding any.

Truth is, no one cares about this team - good or bad. At least, not here on these boards.

I think maybe everyone is kinda just enjoying the run, knowing somewhere in the back of their minds that it likely won't last.

So far so good though. I look like a genius for predicting a playoff spot at this point!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Absolutely amazing what your team has done and what they continue to do. Figured like most I think that you were in for some real pain. Hats of to your GM and Coaches as they have the team really firing on all cylinders and believing in themselves!

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Shut the front door Storm fans... courtesy of Jacob Roach - Campbell's hockey name is "Soupy".

Also, winning is fun. With key players out and still rolling. I love the heart of this franchise and this squad.

Reactions: Northernstormfan

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks stormwatcher for acknowledging the accomplishment of this squad. This city doesn't deserve them. Silence, a mystery as to why a last place club down highway 7 has more supportive fans than us. SHAME

Cynical Canadian

Nov 16, 2015
I rarely visit or post on these forums due the amount of negativity. A friend told me about this post so I had to come back for response.

Do not confuse posting on an online forum with being a fan. Right now there are empty seats at the game. Even worse charities that are selling discounted tickets are having a hard time selling them.

Posting on an online forum is meaningless. Get off your collective butts and get your ass to the game. Cheer, yell and if you can pound the glass after the inevitable goal that is going to come from the hard work and skill of these much underrated kids.

Spleen vented, resume your conversations and I will continue to pound the glass, cheer the team and yell at the incompetent refs.

QUOTE="GEO1050101, post: 167348735, member: 291091"]Thanks stormwatcher for acknowledging the accomplishment of this squad. This city doesn't deserve them. Silence, a mystery as to why a last place club down highway 7 has more supportive fans than us. SHAME[/QUOTE]

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Geo and Cynical Canadian, I understand your comments that a team with the Storm's record, today's loss notwithstanding, should be attracting more in attendance but your implication that there is an overall lack of fan support in Guelph seems a little strong having regard to the recent attendance records of this team in relation to the rest of the league. Figures from hockey database show the following for the Storm attendance in the following categories:

Year Average Attendance Overall ranking in Ontario Hockey League

2019-2020 3,861 Sixth
2018-2019 4,137 Sixth
2017-2018 3,971 Seventh
2016-2017 4.063 Eighth
2015-2016 4,252 Eighth
2014-2015 4,507 Sixth
2013-2015 4,326 Sixth

So the team while down a couple of hundred so far this year are still maintaining its spot in the top third in attendance in the OHL. Even in the championship years of 2019 and 2014, the team was still sixth overall albeit with slightly higher average attendance.

Attendance prior to Christmas seems to always be a little less than the second half (based on my observations as a 19 year season ticket holder).

The Storm will probably never have the support of the Rangers or the Knights but neither will the other 18 teams although the 67's once were in that category.

I am happy to revisit this conversation at the end of the season but the statistics at least in the overall stance in OHL attendance do not support an abject lack of support for this team.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
I rarely visit or post on these forums due the amount of negativity. A friend told me about this post so I had to come back for response.

Do not confuse posting on an online forum with being a fan. Right now there are empty seats at the game. Even worse charities that are selling discounted tickets are having a hard time selling them.

Posting on an online forum is meaningless. Get off your collective butts and get your ass to the game. Cheer, yell and if you can pound the glass after the inevitable goal that is going to come from the hard work and skill of these much underrated kids.

Spleen vented, resume your conversations and I will continue to pound the glass, cheer the team and yell at the incompetent refs.

QUOTE="GEO1050101, post: 167348735, member: 291091"]Thanks stormwatcher for acknowledging the accomplishment of this squad. This city doesn't deserve them. Silence, a mystery as to why a last place club down highway 7 has more supportive fans than us. SHAME
[/QUOTE]

which charities are selling them

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario

which charities are selling them[/QUOTE]
Not all the groups are charities, some are sports teams, kids/teen groups like the 121 Red Arrows Air Cadet Sqd needing to raise funds for equipment, training, uniforms and so many other things needed to keep the groups going. Just go to the website 121 red arrows and the game and contact info is there. There are numerous others but I don't have the contact info for those.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Exciting win last night. Nice to see (hear) especially with 2 top 4 D out in Chayka and Gordeev. December should be a lean month, if they can stay above 500 it will be great.

Daws continues his reign as the best goalie in the OHL. Wishing him luck with Team Canada, getting the recognition he deserves.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Exciting win last night. Nice to see (hear) especially with 2 top 4 D out in Chayka and Gordeev. December should be a lean month, if they can stay above 500 it will be great.

Daws continues his reign as the best goalie in the OHL. Wishing him luck with Team Canada, getting the recognition he deserves.

That save he made in the shootout was *chef's kiss*

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
WOW.. Merk the smirk.... plus London depth.. hava good laugh there Hillis...London maturity ..plus practically no D with Gordeev out and Chayka..was he there?....up tight from start..and did I hear the radio heads say "MAYBE ' Gogolev will get a 2nd or 3rd round draft this year?..between constantly referring to Hillis as Capt. Hillis like some comic book hero?..Like ;.. if Gogo isn't 1st round; something is in their water..Heez #1 on MY team.when his shot starts finding the twine again..heez easily the captain of offence... enough of the nonsense about Gogo not good both ways ..heez the best on storm by a mile in that category.(George)...Who the H was diving in front of pucks last night even close to him or back checking..lets see whatcha got Hillis .. when you stop smirking..Otherwise fellas on Storm ..Yer still the story this year Storm..ya came up short against a deeper more experienced team ...with a very shallow D .. next game should be very interesting..... don't let the "creep".. Merkly gloat next time..at least don't "smirk"WITH him...​

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
WOW.. Merk the smirk.... plus London depth.. hava good laugh there Hillis...London maturity ..plus practically no D with Gordeev out and Chayka..was he there?....up tight from start..and did I hear the radio heads say "MAYBE ' Gogolev will get a 2nd or 3rd round draft this year?..between constantly referring to Hillis as Capt. Hillis like some comic book hero?..Like ;.. if Gogo isn't 1st round; something is in their water..Heez #1 on MY team.when his shot starts finding the twine again..heez easily the captain of offence... enough of the nonsense about Gogo not good both ways ..heez the best on storm by a mile in that category.(George)...Who the H was diving in front of pucks last night even close to him or back checking..lets see whatcha got Hillis .. when you stop smirking..Otherwise fellas on Storm ..Yer still the story this year Storm..ya came up short against a deeper more experienced team ...with a very shallow D .. next game should be very interesting..... don't let the "creep".. Merkly gloat next time..at least don't "smirk"WITH him...​

He deserved to gloat. Kid got booed during the ceremonial face-off!

I'd have blown kisses to everyone on my way off the ice.

Reactions: dirty12

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017

shoulda bin booed.. deserved it..and George too.. for waiting so long to dump him.... mighta well WON the cup if they coulda kept Bertuzzi and Primeau..= plus the pics they suckered outa the petes....they still coulda picked up the OS players.... I'll be there next game .. must bring a barf bag though.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017

that would fit perfectly for this kid without character.....and it wasn't his job to take ceremonial FO... that was a Hunter finger up to Guelph.. heez another classy guy eh?.

Philstorm

Oct 16, 2017
On Dec 9th with only 4 games remaining until the Christmas break this team sits 3rd in the Western Conference, which is way above what the experts projected this season.

With a month to go until the trade deadline what are your expectations going forward?

· Should GB sell of assets and continue the rebuilding process by moving (Hills, Gogolev, Gordeev & Daws)
· Stand pat and let this team ride-out the season, as GB already made some moves to re-coup picks and acquired Bianconi.
· Or sitting near the top of the conference, add more depth and veteran players and try to go deep in the playoffs.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
shoulda bin booed.. deserved it..and George too.. for waiting so long to dump him.... mighta well WON the cup if they coulda kept Bertuzzi and Primeau..= plus the pics they suckered outa the petes....they still coulda picked up the OS players.... I'll be there next game .. must bring a barf bag though.

Mine was not a comment on his time here, how he was handled or what the Storm received in compensation for him...

I was simply saying that if you're gonna boo a kid during the ceremonial face-off, he reserves the right IMO to smirk or smile after a hard fought road victory.

Glad he's gone...glad the Storm got what they did for him....but to me, I wouldn't have booed him, especially during the opening ceremonies. After all, him leaving and the return that was brought back helped the Storm to an OHL title....maybe the fans should have chanted "thank you" rather than "booooo" lol

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Mine was not a comment on his time here, how he was handled or what the Storm received in compensation for him...

I was simply saying that if you're gonna boo a kid during the ceremonial face-off, he reserves the right IMO to smirk or smile after a hard fought road victory.

Glad he's gone...glad the Storm got what they did for him....but to me, I wouldn't have booed him, especially during the opening ceremonies. After all, him leaving and the return that was brought back helped the Storm to an OHL title....maybe the fans should have chanted "thank you" rather than "booooo" lol
or ....na na ... na na na na... hey hey hey ....good bye..and again... he was not the common player used by teams... he was "insered as and insult to Guelph..and classless Merk just loved it.hope next game he gets rubbed into boards ...hard .. like he did last night to us..watch your back Chayka and our goalie at worlds.. Hunter has ZERO class

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
On Dec 9th with only 4 games remaining until the Christmas break this team sits 3rd in the Western Conference, which is way above what the experts projected this season.

With a month to go until the trade deadline what are your expectations going forward?

· Should GB sell of assets and continue the rebuilding process by moving (Hills, Gogolev, Gordeev & Daws)
· Stand pat and let this team ride-out the season, as GB already made some moves to re-coup picks and acquired Bianconi.
· Or sitting near the top of the conference, add more depth and veteran players and try to go deep in the playoffs.

Sell! Two of the 4 above is my prediction. I anticipate Daws is only moved this year if it's an offer you can't refuse as he will return next year and Bennett may not be ready to start that soon. Next season could get a return for Daws at the deadline and give Bennett that support for another half a year.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->