Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Look up the term "sample size". Popovich and Primeau have had nice little runs of late....not to mention Primeau's being predicated on being given a larger role on the team which, as someone pointed out, he did not earn here. The past two weeks aren't enough for my to throw out the previous seasons worth of data. I'm not saying that what you've posted couldn't be true, just that you're really jumping the gun here IMO.

I'm pretty sure the horse won't be limping anywhere; you've sufficiently beaten it to death.
oh ...this isn't done .. by any means... mwaahahahahaha!

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Surprised how little Ottawa gave up for Dipietro. Maybe we should have been in the mix.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Just wondering why Bertuzzi's stock has dropped so much? Went second overall in the "O" but only projected to go late rounds in the NHL?

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Bertuzzi- he's an 01 on a veteran team with 10 older forwards, missed 25 games last year due to injury and has worst +/- among all forwards on team.
Also seems to lack the compete level Todd and Tyler had.
Needs to elevate his game at both ends of rink.
Has shown talent at times but needs more consistency.
Just my opinion.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
How is it that Guelph has 5 sixteen year olds on their roster? I thought there was a limit unless you traded for them (you didn't)?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
How is it that Guelph has 5 sixteen year olds on their roster? I thought there was a limit unless you traded for them (you didn't)?

I'm guessing McFarlane or Profaca are on "B" cards and just being used as call-ups, thus don't count to the limit of 4, but someone with more depth of knowledge on this could clarify.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Just wondering why Bertuzzi's stock has dropped so much? Went second overall in the "O" but only projected to go late rounds in the NHL?

Like TrueBlueStorm said, I gave him the benefit of the doubt becasue of the missed games last year that affected his development. At the start of this year, he came out flying as was showing a stronger game. But lately as was said, he hasn't stepped up his game to play with more urgency, fortitude or desire. As Brian Burke once said he lacks truculence.

As for the coaching impact on him, I think Burnett has given him plenty of opportunities in all situations. As the old saying says, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, Bert is not drinking, if he wants to get to the next level, he needs to start putting in the effort in practice to work on his weaknesses. I read an article yesterday where Paul Coffey (Edmonton Oilers Player Development Advisor) spoke of how Connor McDavid is alway first on the ice and working his game, even his skating which is one of his strongest assets. Players can't expect the coach to help them all the time, sometimes they need to take the bull by the horns and do it themselves.

The analogy I use is a teacher in the classroom, they can't babysit all the students every minute, they must expect every student to take the basics and then continue to use that to improve their overall performance.
Bertuzzi has been playing hockey all his life, in the past his skill level has been higher than the level he's playing, but at some point you can't get by on just raw talent because there are others that you will face that are more talented than you. That's when you need to put in the extra effort to work on the things that need improvement. A coach can't do that for you, he can point it out, but its the player that needs to accept the constructive criticism and feed off it to get better.

That's where Bertuzzi is right now, he needs to put the extra effort to rise above the rest. I have seen flashes of his play that warranted his 2nd overall pick, now go out and put the effort in to justify it.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Like TrueBlueStorm said, I gave him the benefit of the doubt becasue of the missed games last year that affected his development. At the start of this year, he came out flying as was showing a stronger game. But lately as was said, he hasn't stepped up his game to play with more urgency, fortitude or desire. As Brian Burke once said he lacks truculence.

As for the coaching impact on him, I think Burnett has given him plenty of opportunities in all situations. As the old saying says, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, Bert is not drinking, if he wants to get to the next level, he needs to start putting in the effort in practice to work on his weaknesses. I read an article yesterday where Paul Coffey (Edmonton Oilers Player Development Advisor) spoke of how Connor McDavid is alway first on the ice and working his game, even his skating which is one of his strongest assets. Players can't expect the coach to help them all the time, sometimes they need to take the bull by the horns and do it themselves.

The analogy I use is a teacher in the classroom, they can't babysit all the students every minute, they must expect every student to take the basics and then continue to use that to improve their overall performance.
Bertuzzi has been playing hockey all his life, in the past his skill level has been higher than the level he's playing, but at some point you can't get by on just raw talent because there are others that you will face that are more talented than you. That's when you need to put in the extra effort to work on the things that need improvement. A coach can't do that for you, he can point it out, but its the player that needs to accept the constructive criticism and feed off it to get better.

That's where Bertuzzi is right now, he needs to put the extra effort to rise above the rest. I have seen flashes of his play that warranted his 2nd overall pick, now go out and put the effort in to justify it.

Great post!

Some let their hatred (warranted or not) cloud their analysis of all issues.

This is not on the coach, it's on the player. Not to mention, I think you'll find he probably wasn't the consensus #2 that year, but it was who the Storm knew they could get.

As was pointed out about McDavid, similar can be said for Crosby (faceoffs) and most recently Matthews (his shot)...even though they are already at the top of their profession, they are always working on new things.

Tag should get in touch with his cousin to find out what it takes to make it in this league. Love him or hate him, Tyler's story is one of hard work and perseverance. Success followed.

Reactions: StormWatcher

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
you'll only get respose following a certain narrative.. the rest just ..... disappears....

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
If you guys want to make a run they should consider trading Mercly I know he has skill but watching him last night he gives off a bad vibe to your team.
Get a more reliable defensive minded Dman and I think that would improve sometimes subtracting and then adding makes all the difference in the world

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
If you guys want to make a run they should consider trading Mercly I know he has skill but watching him last night he gives off a bad vibe to your team.
Get a more reliable defensive minded Dman and I think that would improve sometimes subtracting and then adding makes all the difference in the world
YYYYYUP!..10:4 on that..

Reactions: soo hound girl

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
How about Bertuzzi and picks to Rangers for Yantsis and Gareffa
in 2 years with real coaching mgmt;.. he'll be bulling into zones like his DAD.. heez gonna be real scary solid... may have to move elsewhere though .. this admin is infected with idiots..

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
in 2 years with real coaching mgmt;.. he'll be bulling into zones like his DAD.. heez gonna be real scary solid... may have to move elsewhere though .. this admin is infected with idiots..
I see only an expectation of entitlement from 24. He has been on the power play unit all year and is given some of the best players to play with. Based on play and stats he would never have been given all this. It is time to reward players that show not “should” show. He is 11th in points out of 12 forwards and -9. The only forward behind him is collins who played like 5 games. Have seen two years of this now.
PLAYERGAPTS+/-
Nate Schnarr1523387
Ryan Merkley433374
Isaac Ratcliffe1914338
Liam Hawel1113240
Cedric Ralph914237
Cam Hillis81220-4
Barret Kirwin6101611
Domenico Commisso31316-3
Alexey Toropchenko6713-11
Dmitri Samorukov112134
Zach Poirier65116
Keegan Stevenson7310-1
Tag Bertuzzi459-9
Owen Lalonde189-12
Daniil Chayka35810
Jack Hanley257-2
Mark Woolley2357
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I see only an expectation of entitlement from 24. He has been on the power play unit all year and is given some of the best players to play with. Based on play and stats he would never have been given all this. It is time to reward players that show not “should” show. Have seen two years of this now.
PLAYERGAPTS+/-
Nate Schnarr1523387
Ryan Merkley433374
Isaac Ratcliffe1914338
Liam Hawel1113240
Cedric Ralph914237
Cam Hillis81220-4
Barret Kirwin6101611
Domenico Commisso31316-3
Dmitri Samorukov112134
Zach Poirier65116
Keegan Stevenson7310-1
Tag Bertuzzi459-9
Owen Lalonde189-12
Daniil Chayka35810
Jack Hanley257-2
Mark Woolley2357
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
this team enviroment has been anything but stable or healthy...in developing.. plus I see a bit of slow devel...but when he comes here in a year or two if traded... he'll devour this club.. what's to look at 2 years down the road here../?. besides the new russ. D Chayka...if they don't ruin him..and maybe one or two others;...NOT MUCH..

Reactions: hocknow

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I see only an expectation of entitlement from 24. He has been on the power play unit all year and is given some of the best players to play with. Based on play and stats he would never have been given all this. It is time to reward players that show not “should” show. He is 11th in points out of 12 forwards and -9. The only forward behind him is collins who played like 5 games. Have seen two years of this now.
PLAYERGAPTS+/-
Nate Schnarr1523387
Ryan Merkley433374
Isaac Ratcliffe1914338
Liam Hawel1113240
Cedric Ralph914237
Cam Hillis81220-4
Barret Kirwin6101611
Domenico Commisso31316-3
Dmitri Samorukov112134
Zach Poirier65116
Keegan Stevenson7310-1
Tag Bertuzzi459-9
Owen Lalonde189-12
Daniil Chayka35810
Jack Hanley257-2
Mark Woolley2357
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
WOW....entitlement...for a moment there I thought you wuz talkin about the Enigma..

Reactions: hocknow

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
this team enviroment has been anything but stable or healthy...in developing.. plus I see a bit of slow devel...but when he comes here in a year or two if traded... he'll devour this club.. what's to look at 2 years down the road here../?. besides the new russ. D Chayka...if they don't ruin him..and maybe one or two others;...NOT MUCH..
Entitlement. An 11th forward in stats should never be on the pp all year. Ruins the expectations and work environment of other players. How can there be “buy in” from all players.
If you are truly “going for it” then play the players who are doing it on the ice not on the back of the jersey.
I truly believe this game has passed george. Playing the 90’s style.

I agree I hope they dont ruin chayka. Also as much as 6 has entitlement I just accepted that now lol.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
If you ask me, the owner of the Guelph Storm is a moron.

Since 08/09, George Burnett has had 5 seasons where his teams where below average, under .500.

Why the hell was he even on your list of acceptable coaches?

This team is their on paper. But this crap needs to stop.

You guys are going all in, its happening. Makes me wonder what this team would be like if Scott Walker was still behind the bench. Or even Skalde.

Even with a come back tonight this tea is in trouble.

I hope you guys turn it around in the 2nd half. Ill be at every playoff home game if you do but this team really needs to find what the issue is and work it out or get rid of it. Don't matter who or what it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad