Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
From my views of games, I would rate Toropchenko’s compete level high on every shift. When he jumps off the bench he always gives a full shift. I agree with others that I expected more offence from him given his high draft status. But right now I’ll take his tenacity shift after shift because lord knows we aren’t getting it from others. If he continues to work hard and it wears off on a few others maybe we will see results.

Right now this team isn’t playing with any urgency, they show up one night and take the next two off.

As for Storm Surge, I’ve heard the rumours of dissatisfaction from people inside the organization as well but even if there is, these kids will face greater challenges in their hockey future or in their lives, what will define them as players and quality individuals is how they rise above it, and face it head on, not to run away from it because sometimes that’s not an option.
Toropchenko was a good finisher in the vids I've seen of him in Russia.. ..here ;...he can certainly get to the net but seems to have lost much of his finishing touch.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Another road game, another road loss
Storm have only won 4 of 16 on the road this season.

Emotions got the best of the Storm against Owen Sound especially by one of the Storm's defenders.

Storm showed a glimmer of hope in the first especially from Popovich.

After the first half of the opening frame, the unveiling of the Storm came from magnificent frustration by the Storm bench.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Time for a shake up. Bench under achievers, malcontents and crybabies. Guess we will be sellers and not buyers, wonder what we can get for a coach and GM?

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Time for a shake up. Bench under achievers, malcontents and crybabies. Guess we will be sellers and not buyers, wonder what we can get for a coach and GM?
I really thought we had a decent shot, but now I am starting to think sell now before it is too late. We would need 2 D 1-2 F and G if we really going for it. It doesn’t look like we will be able to get all those peices in my opinion. We sit in 5th now.
Too bad really

Last edited:

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I really thought we had a decent shot, but now I am starting to think sell now before it is too late. We would need 2 D 1-2 F and G if we really going for it. It doesn’t look like we will be able to get all those peices in my opinion. We sit in 5th now.
Too bad really

Your goal tending is much above average. Save percentage is 8th in the league for any goalie with over 350 shots against this year. D maybe.

Team issues appear to be not related to talent.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I saw Guelph last weekend and its a fairly good group. IMO you need another top 4 defenseman, a better OA forward then what you have now and a different coach. You'll be a true contender

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
30 games in and Guelph has lost more games than they have won (14 wins)
Only 5 teams have won fewer games (North Bay, Kingston, Kitchener, Erie, Flint)

Not exactly contender numbers
Exactly!! We are great on paper. That is where it ends right now. “Supposed to be great”

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
We need way more production from players like Toropchenko, Commisso and Hills.
I hate to say this but why is Porier STILL on the team? He's no Bauman, Horvat or Pierog, not even close. He has some chemistry with Ralph/Kirwin but his hands make McNaughton look like McDavid. That's an obvious first step to me. Either a faster player, a hard hitting bruiser to compliment the twin towers or a higher skill player to get more depth through the lineup.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Too bad really

Our goaltending is fine, we do need changes on D. That’s where the so called shake up should start. We are too porous and give up too many shots and opportunities. We need to increase our stock of stay at home defencemen. I would take Terry and put him in JR B to give him development time, make Chaka a 7th D and find 2 quality guys late 18 or 19 yr olds. Plus I’d finally put the most porous D on the trade block.

Up front, I’d send Collins to JR B, I’d release Pourier and move out some other pieces that aren’t contributing. Missing the call for the top prospects isn’t a good sign that the scouts appreciate Bertuzzi’s game since invitees are determined by NHL teams. Maybe a change of scenery with help his game and get us something useful.

My fear is the longer we wait, the market will be thin or very expensive and I’m not one to mortgage a future for a possible trip to the dance. I hope to see more entertaining hockey for the coming years.

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
I agree that commisso and porier are not OA quality when you are going ahead. Some will say commisso wins draws but you need more than 30 games 3 goals amd -4 from an OA. Porier is still around because he plays george”s style. Dump the puck in amd lose it. Drives me crazy watching this. Oshawa got rid of commisso for a reason and Oshawa now has a better record then Guelph.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
If I was wearing my GM hat, I’d release Poirer, and set my sights on Justin Brazeau as a replacement. I don’t understand why Burnett didn’t add to the Primeau trade to get him then. I would see what Flint wants for Dellandrea as further scoring, I’d offer up Bertuzzi and some picks.

As for the back end, again I’d look at Flint to get Gordeev, 19 yr old, big body that stays home and does offer some offence. Kingston still owes us for the earlier trade for future considerations, well I think we should get payment and get Brahaney, another 19 yr old that plays a solid game and has some offence.

Those are some possibilities for my changes I mentioned earlier.

Reactions: Chico Maki

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Change for change sake is not the answer, but there are upgrades that have to be made if we want to be more than a fifth or sixth place team. I certainly feel that the coach and GM jobs should be separate, having one person do both only leads to the coaches desires and not necessarily the teams needs. Upgrading the "D" is a no brainer we have three maybe for good dmen, we need six or seven especially if the injury bug bites, ex. Wooley. OA changes, can't disagree there either. George get of the coaching pot and get on the GM hat and find the solutions ASAP. Or kiss this season goodbye.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
The sooner any changes get made the sooner we can judge what we have after and figure out if we need more right at the deadline. Has the trade freeze already started? Would've been nice to make a move before that.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
Our goaltending is fine, we do need changes on D. That’s where the so called shake up should start. We are too porous and give up too many shots and opportunities. We need to increase our stock of stay at home defencemen. I would take Terry and put him in JR B to give him development time, make Chaka a 7th D and find 2 quality guys late 18 or 19 yr olds. Plus I’d finally put the most porous D on the trade block.

Up front, I’d send Collins to JR B, I’d release Pourier and move out some other pieces that aren’t contributing. Missing the call for the top prospects isn’t a good sign that the scouts appreciate Bertuzzi’s game since invitees are determined by NHL teams. Maybe a change of scenery with help his game and get us something useful.

My fear is the longer we wait, the market will be thin or very expensive and I’m not one to mortgage a future for a possible trip to the dance. I hope to see more entertaining hockey for the coming years.

Hindering the development of Chayka is not in the plans.

He's been playing absolutely fine and there's no need to move him down in the rotation, I'd rather him than Lalonde all day and every day.

Collins has four points in 10 games and is a plus four, nothing is needed there, there is once again, no need to hinder a centrepiece of the future for the Guelph Storm, he's fine where he is on the fourth line.

The fact of the matter is that there won't be many moves coming in the future, I'd expect one big one but not a certain thing yet.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I mentioned Brazeau in the preseason as a guy I'd target if we were to make a run. Not the fastest player (neither is the rest of this team) but he plays hard on the puck and can dish. That said....

I'd sell. It's going to cost way too much IMO to add what this team needs to be considered anything more than a longshot contender. I'd prefer to recoup what we can for the couple of talented older players the team has, and start a new cycle around Chayka and the other kids - plus the player or two that hopefully comes back in deals for Merkley/Ratcliffe/Schnarr.

Chayka is good. I'd play him more, not less.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I mentioned Brazeau in the preseason as a guy I'd target if we were to make a run. Not the fastest player (neither is the rest of this team) but he plays hard on the puck and can dish. That said....

I'd sell. It's going to cost way too much IMO to add what this team needs to be considered anything more than a longshot contender. I'd prefer to recoup what we can for the couple of talented older players the team has, and start a new cycle around Chayka and the other kids - plus the player or two that hopefully comes back in deals for Merkley/Ratcliffe/Schnarr.

Chayka is good. I'd play him more, not less.
2nd D pairing at least.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
If I was wearing my GM hat, I’d release Poirer, and set my sights on Justin Brazeau as a replacement. I don’t understand why Burnett didn’t add to the Primeau trade to get him then. I would see what Flint wants for Dellandrea as further scoring, I’d offer up Bertuzzi and some picks.

As for the back end, again I’d look at Flint to get Gordeev, 19 yr old, big body that stays home and does offer some offence. Kingston still owes us for the earlier trade for future considerations, well I think we should get payment and get Brahaney, another 19 yr old that plays a solid game and has some offence.

Those are some possibilities for my changes I mentioned earlier.

Can't see Bertuzzi agreeing to go to Flint though, and he has a no trade as a 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad