Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Going back to before the thread got bumped, Chico mentioned a possibility of Villardi as the remainder of the Aguanno trade to Kingston. Think Trader George can negotiate the risk factor into a 1 for 1 on that transaction and get the rights to Villardi? I have no idea how severe his injury was or it’s current status. Looking to you Chico.....

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Going back to before the thread got bumped, Chico mentioned a possibility of Villardi as the remainder of the Aguanno trade to Kingston. Think Trader George can negotiate the risk factor into a 1 for 1 on that transaction and get the rights to Villardi? I have no idea how severe his injury was or it’s current status. Looking to you Chico.....

Well, according to the draft pick database if is updated and correct Guelph has some 2nds and 3rds still available.

The future considerations for Aguanno and a couple conditional 3rds might work for Villardi. He was at the Junior camp and I’m sure the Kings would like to see him play. He played amazing in last years playoffs.

I think George should definitely bring in Saigeon with the picks he still available to him. He could also get creative and do a two part deal over the summer and send Hillis to Hamilton. (See the Windsor/Kitchener deal with Stanley/Bracco). Get Saigeon before Ottawa.

Another option while more costly is to reunite Ratcliffe and Suzuki, but it would cost Chayka and picks.

Next year at the deadline players left on the roster like Gogolev, Hillis, Popovich can be sold off and draft picks replaced.

Reactions: dirty12

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Well, according to the draft pick database if is updated and correct Guelph has some 2nds and 3rds still available.

The future considerations for Aguanno and a couple conditional 3rds might work for Villardi. He was at the Junior camp and I’m sure the Kings would like to see him play. He played amazing in last years playoffs.

I think George should definitely bring in Saigeon with the picks he still available to him. He could also get creative and do a two part deal over the summer and send Hillis to Hamilton. (See the Windsor/Kitchener deal with Stanley/Bracco). Get Saigeon before Ottawa.

Another option while more costly is to reunite Ratcliffe and Suzuki, but it would cost Chayka and picks.

Next year at the deadline players left on the roster like Gogolev, Hillis, Popovich can be sold off and draft picks replaced.

Appreciate your insight - I haven’t seen what the cupboard looks like - you have a link to that? I also thought a couple of picks to Kingston would be likely...Aguanno for Villardi straight up would be a little thin, but Georgie seems to be in his stride right now!

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Appreciate your insight - I haven’t seen what the cupboard looks like - you have a link to that? I also thought a couple of picks to Kingston would be likely...Aguanno for Villardi straight up would be a little thin, but Georgie seems to be in his stride right now!

Just scroll down to “Normal Threads”, it is like the 6th one.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Also, where do you think RSC is when all these trades go down? It’s like is does a disappearing act or something. He must show up to work on Monday morning in his cubicle, turn on his computer, answer a few emails then log in and ask “did I miss anything over the weekend?”

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Also, where do you think RSC is when all these trades go down? It’s like is does a disappearing act or something. He must show up to work on Monday morning in his cubicle, turn on his computer, answer a few emails then log in and ask “did I miss anything over the weekend?”
Lol - no, he’s good - he will weigh in when he gets a chance - weekends are busy for everyone.

I’ll check the thread you pointed out - not sure if it was up to date - lots of s$&& went down today.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
our future cupboard is practically stripped bare now.. why the dbl hockey sticks give up a fine future D leader too.??

Because to go all in, you have to go all in. Picks can be replenished. There are still big names on the board that you don't want to go up against in the playoffs.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
our future cupboard is practically stripped bare now.. why the dbl hockey sticks give up a fine future D leader too.??

The Guelph draft board currently has very few voids and a few extras left counting conditional picks. And, I’m quite certain the wolves will be returning *WSR 2nd-‘19 as Lalonde was not nhl drafted or met any other condition I can think of.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014

Would like to see Suzuki but not sure it could be pulled off without losing any one

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Because to go all in, you have to go all in. Picks can be replenished. There are still big names on the board that you don't want to go up against in the playoffs.
the Plater cup team ..best coached in Guelph since then... picked up ONE player (Roberts) on a good but not super star roster;.. the wolves are coming indeed... inside and out..better win there GB...ye'hear?its a long march to Akaaba after that..and yu'll be long gone ...I hope..IF ..this bunch gel.... just open the gate and watchum win eh?.... we shall see..one game ata time...a healthy and fully recovered Gogolev will make this roster deadly..but don't rush him... hate to see a kids career ruined; And keep him next year too...he's a winner... a catalyst.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
Don’t see anyone calling for firing of Burnett today. Some times patience is ones greatest asset

Reactions: lazyboy

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Burnett has always been seen as a good GM. I think it was his coaching that drew most complaints at any of his stop overs in the OHL. I really thought maybe he had lost some of his GM touches with poor asset management this year, but I"ve certainly changed my tune in the past couple days. Those are some really big gets for Guelph in areas that needed to be addressed. And I thought he was really digging a hole for any future GM if this didn't work out but their draft cupboard is still looking good (average). I still think he could have addressed the Merkley issue much earlier than he did but otherwise I like what he's done.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Don’t see anyone calling for firing of Burnett today. Some times patience is ones greatest asset

I was one that was calling for his dismissal but as you said I will be patient. I still think he did not manage situations well and I am not sure that we have done nearly enough to address defence. Phillips is a great add, Gordeev not sure as it has been sometime since I have seen him play. You have Samorukov and Woolley plus Phillips and Gordeev. I have not been a big fan of Lalonde. His defensive zone coverage is worse than Merkley's. Hanley is an unknown with the ankle injury and although I think Chayka is a great defensemen he may get exposed a bit at his age. Still think we need to add one more quality player on D. This also assumes the rash of injuries stops.

As for his role as GM. I just feel that he allowed situations to fester until things boiled over on many fronts. Having to ship out Primeau, Bertuzzi and Merkley so closely together, put George behind the 8 ball when dealing with teams to replenish assets driving up costs. It is never good when teams have leverage on you when attempting to make trades.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Burnett has always been seen as a good GM. I think it was his coaching that drew most complaints at any of his stop overs in the OHL. I really thought maybe he had lost some of his GM touches with poor asset management this year, but I"ve certainly changed my tune in the past couple days. Those are some really big gets for Guelph in areas that needed to be addressed. And I thought he was really digging a hole for any future GM if this didn't work out but their draft cupboard is still looking good (average). I still think he could have addressed the Merkley issue much earlier than he did but otherwise I like what he's done.
he HAS had quite a deep hole to dig himself out of... lets just say that heez hada great big baga magic powders (picks) to play with and has found some willing dance partners ... lets just call him "Flash"..a couple of long rounds in playoffs will make his bosses butts tingle $$$$$.... this aggregation of players is a long way off bonding into a cohesive winning unit.... onward and forward..may the puck bounce for them right down that road to cup victory.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Well if I was right about anything this season its that today will be an interesting game.
Not exactly for the same reason I said it back then but oh well, Looking forward to seeing all the new pickups.
It's been quite the month in Storm land.. hopefully that painful process is now over.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
My apologies, who is the Storms Captain this year and where does he fit in the depth chart?
Thanks guys.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Well if I was right about anything this season its that today will be an interesting game.
Not exactly for the same reason I said it back then but oh well, Looking forward to seeing all the new pickups.
It's been quite the month in Storm land.. hopefully that painful process is now over.

I think there will still be pain as players continue to recover from injury and new players find their roles and chemistry. 1 month from now will be a good evaluation point, then again beginning of March when hopefully all are healthy.

Reactions: storm surge

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
I think there will still be pain as players continue to recover from injury and new players find their roles and chemistry. 1 month from now will be a good evaluation point, then again beginning of March when hopefully all are healthy.
Well..........that did not look good. Out shooting NB 46-24. The Ratcliffe line with Entwistle did not look good. Scored on 3 of first 4. I am hopong it is a chemistry that jist needs some time.
NB goalie was the difference and poppy needs to be better.
I dont like commisso at centre with hawel and Toropchenko. Commisso is a defence shut down forward. Putiing him with his 2 goals this season with two offensive players is not a good mix. IMO
Lalond does not look good at all. So many errors in lir own end with plenty of time to move the pick. He either gets intercepted or sends you a grenade in your skates.
Sorry to be so negative but I didnt see anything positive to report in this game except the first period.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Well..........that did not look good. Out shooting NB 46-24. The Ratcliffe line with Entwistle did not look good. Scored on 3 of first 4. I am hopong it is a chemistry that jist needs some time.
NB goalie was the difference and poppy needs to be better.
I dont like commisso at centre with hawel and Toropchenko. Commisso is a defence shut down forward. Putiing him with his 2 goals this season with two offensive players is not a good mix. IMO
Lalond does not look good at all. So many errors in lir own end with plenty of time to move the pick. He either gets intercepted or sends you a grenade in your skates.
Sorry to be so negative but I didnt see anything positive to report in this game except the first period.

The 19/10/16 line came together in the 3rd but Propp robbed them. I think 10 will end up on RW. There is no top centre at this point. Hawel is 2C and Hillis was 1C before injury. George said he's bringing in another forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad