Guelph Storm 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for the info on Haussener. I must admit I did previously check the Storm and Mercury sites and couldn't find any announcement on the signing. Thanks again.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
With camp opening next week, i cant see any big free agents falling out of the sky or surprising last minute roster additions?!

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
With camp opening next week, i cant see any big free agents falling out of the sky or surprising last minute roster additions?!

I think it is going to be hard enough to make room for all the young guys as it is, so I do not foresee any moves any time soon. looking at the returning roster, with players that are signed so far i can't even see Guelph taking more then 2 99's on the roster. I would not want to be making the decisions on this years team.... alot of hard decisions to make in terms of who is going back to play Midget or Junior elsewhere for another year. But i am still super excited for all the young guys we have and even if it is painful at times this season i think they will be fun to watch develop.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
Agreed.

It would be a tough year to try and use 3 16yr olds. The team is very green with 17 and 18 year old rookies and second year guys.

I also am very excited to see the young team develop. Lots of potential for future success if they are allowed to go through the growing pains!

It will be a long year, but fun, in a different kind of way.

JJJMac

Apr 18, 2014
I hope you're right! I just think if you look at the other goalie options out there, coupled with what a guy like Jake Paterson returned for Saginaw last year, the outlook isn't great. A good 1st half would likely help, though. Nichols was a big part of the team's success two years ago, and I hope he is able to be a part of another playoff run - albeit likely on another team.

Agreed on Hotchkiss. Needs to be much more consistent.

Disagree on McEwan. Showed some flashes for sure, and his effort level is very good....just not sure the skill is there to make a real impact. Again, I hope you're right! It's always great to see a player prove dummies like me wrong!

McEwan will be there. He competes well.
The knock on Hotchkiss has always been his work ethic. He is fine with the puck but has always had trouble being a complete team player in all three zones
Givani Smith is the real deal! He will be the man on this team by next year and will have a really good year this year. Look for him to be taken in the NHL draft around the 4th round.
I am interested to see how Burghardt does. He was a stud in minor hockey. He may be a larger contributor than people think.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I am interested to see how Burghardt does. He was a stud in minor hockey. He may be a larger contributor than people think.

Burghardt has the puck skills and smarts to be a good player at this level. His issue is strength. He was pushed off the puck quite easily last season. It will be interesting to see what he measures at come camp time.

Last year pre-camp I said watch out for Aleks Rapp as a a darkhorse (which I guess was a win/lose with him making the team but without impact). This season I will go with Kyle West to become a solid contributor. I don't really have much to base that off of except for his listed size and solid season as a 16 year old in Jr. A last year.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
Projected offence

With such a young team the obvious shortfall may be goals scored.

Last season the 8th place team in the Western Conference (Saginaw Spirit) scored 212 goals.

Can someone with a deeper knowledge of the Storm rookies and returning players (than i have) , please provide a forecast, to predict where the team will get 200-210 goals from?

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
With such a young team the obvious shortfall may be goals scored.

Last season the 8th place team in the Western Conference (Saginaw Spirit) scored 212 goals.

Can someone with a deeper knowledge of the Storm rookies and returning players (than i have) , please provide a forecast, to predict where the team will get 200-210 goals from?

Its not happening and there won't be many chicken wings handed out this year.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Just taking a swing at it here... Lol. All for fun, so don't tear me a new one if you disagree. Just trying to see what potential we might have for goals....

# Player Goals
13 Tyler Hill 25
14 Tyler Boston 25
15 Marc Stevens 10
16 Ryan Foss 8
21 James McEwan 15
23 Matthew Hotchkiss 15
24 Givani Smith 15
25 Luke Burghardt 10
9 Rob Fabbri 20 Only 20 as he will miss beginning of season/W Jrs etc
Ratcliffe 7
L Stevens 7
West 5
Defencemen
# Player Goals
2 Levi Tetrault 1
3 Kyle Rhodes 5
4 Noah Carroll 7
5 C.J. Garcia 10
7 Brock Philips 2
10 Austin Hall 7
27 Garrett McFadden 7

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
I that McFadden and Terualt will score more and Smith will a lot more then 15.
I sure hope so!!! I was trying to be conservative on some guys and maybe expecting too much out of others... but we shall see soon enough how it all shakes out...

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
noobie, you forgot to mention the two imports, espec. the the 19 year old one.
Good point!!!
Lets add Haussener with 10 goals as i think he is probably a year away from chipping in more offense and Barulin i think based on what I hear could be a 20 goal possibility... 200 goals might not be a huge stretch... I have accounted for 230ish in my predictions below... I don't think that is going to happen, so take my predictions and account for some of these guys to not put up as much and some maybe more and we might be in the 200 range...
updated....

# Player Goals
13 Tyler Hill 25
14 Tyler Boston 25
15 Marc Stevens 10
16 Ryan Foss 8
21 James McEwan 15
23 Matthew Hotchkiss 15
24 Givani Smith 15
25 Luke Burghardt 10
Ratcliffe 7
L Stevens 7
West 5
Haussener 10
Barulin 20
Defencemen
# Player Goals
2 Levi Tetrault 1
3 Kyle Rhodes 5
4 Noah Carroll 7
5 C.J. Garcia 10
7 Brock Philips 2
10 Austin Hall 7
27 Garrett McFadden 7

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
noobie, you forgot to mention the two imports, espec. the the 19 year old one.

I know he's 19, but i'm not sure what to expect from Barulin considering he was playing in the second tier of Russian Juniors. Maybe he's a diamond in the rough, but then again, I don't believe many good prospects come from the MHL B..

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Good point!!!
Lets add Haussener with 10 goals as i think he is probably a year away from chipping in more offense and Barulin i think based on what I hear could be a 20 goal possibility... 200 goals might not be a huge stretch... I have accounted for 230ish in my predictions below... I don't think that is going to happen, so take my predictions and account for some of these guys to not put up as much and some maybe more and we might be in the 200 range...
updated....

# Player Goals
13 Tyler Hill 25
14 Tyler Boston 25
15 Marc Stevens 10
16 Ryan Foss 8
21 James McEwan 15
23 Matthew Hotchkiss 15
24 Givani Smith 15
25 Luke Burghardt 10
Ratcliffe 7
L Stevens 7
West 5
Haussener 10
Barulin 20
Defencemen
# Player Goals
2 Levi Tetrault 1
3 Kyle Rhodes 5
4 Noah Carroll 7
5 C.J. Garcia 10
7 Brock Philips 2
10 Austin Hall 7
27 Garrett McFadden 7

Pretty close I would think. Probably bump Hill's total down a few, but Smith's up. I also think the defense numbers are a bit high. All in all, 200 seems like a solid projection for this upcoming season.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Robby Fabbri's window of opportunity has just grown larger to make the Blues with a strong camp. Patrik Berglund will have shoulder surgery today and is expected to miss at least four months. Jori Lehtera is out for six to eight weeks after ankle surgery, and TJ Oshie traded to Washington in the off season. Should be interesting to follow.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Robby Fabbri's window of opportunity has just grown larger to make the Blues with a strong camp. Patrik Berglund will have shoulder surgery today and is expected to miss at least four months. Jori Lehtera is out for six to eight weeks after ankle surgery, and TJ Oshie traded to Washington in the off season. Should be interesting to follow.

Well, i was not expecting him until October anyways. Might be a little longer if at all. ( although i still believe he will be back pre World Jrs or sent back after them.) On the opposite end of that it gives the young guys a better chance at ice time and playing some important minutes that they would not otherwise. Makes for some interesting scenarios...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad