Guelph Storm 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Well. At least it was close!

Kudos to Fabbri. That was a more vintage Fabbri game than we've seen in a while, and I am glad that will likely be my last memory of him in a Storm uniform. We'll see in the fall, though.

Great game last night by BVS. Still not convinced he can be a starter in this league, but last night was a good first step. Kept the team in the game, and thats more than the goaltending had done through the first three games.

Kudos as well to the Hounds and their (good) fans. They are a heck of a team, and will challenge for a Memorial Cup. Appreciated the relatively subdued celebration after winning the series, too - it was a stark change from the showboating in game three, and it was noticed and appreciated by this fan. That said, I can't bring myself to cheer for either them or Erie, so my allegiance will lie with my other former home team, the Battalion (Brampton). Lets go Troops!

Happy trails to those who won't be returning. Marchese and Cairns never really felt like part of the team, but still, it's never easy seeing a young man's career come to an end. To Bertuzzi, Dickinson and Baltisberger....thank you for the Championship last year! I'll never forget it. It's been a pleasure watching the three of you the past few years, and I can only hope you've left an imprint on the youth that will remain the Royal City. Also, just great individuals when we've had the opportunity to speak. Best of luck to all going forward.

As for attendance last night, just call it a perfect storm. Week night game, very expensive tickets, and a team that before last night hadn't shown up to the series. I'm not excusing it, just explaining it. I was there, so there isn't much more I could have done!

And to the Storm fans on this board...thanks for the banter and for putting up with me all season! We've been through a slow start, injuries, benchings, coaches leaving, more injuries, a tough end to the playoffs and everything in between....we've even put up with a recent influx of trolls, but came out unscathed. It was a fun ride, and we can now look to next year and the youthful exuberance that will hopefully come with it. I'm sure people will be on here less with the Storm done and the weather finally improving (see what I did there), so I'll just wish you all a safe and happy summer! See you back at the pitcher in the fall - I'll be there.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Well, I cannot help but be super happy with the performance of all the guys last night. Everyone of them worked there ass off and kept the Storm alive to the last second. Some Guys that will be dearly missed.
Dickinson - Epitome of a captain, works his butt off shift after shift and might be the best 2 way player in the OHL.
Bertuzzi- HEart, Heart and more Heart. And who saw him turning into the point machine he was? Gave everything he had and I will remember him as one of the most exciting players i have seen in Guelph since the Storm came to town.
Leslie - Another guy that always put it on the line, fantastic offensive defenseman that kept you on the edge of your seat. Sorely missed in the last portion of season.
Baltisberger - Quietly went about his business and personally think he might be one of the best defensive defensemen i have seen in along time. Might have been the best one on one with McDavid in the league. I wish he had been given a chance in North America at the pro level. Great kid too.
Marchese- Here for a short time but you could see so much talent there if he was able to stay healthy through his career. Wish him health and hopefully a chance to play at the next level.
Cairns- Really worked his butt of for us in the short time he was here and brought a good offensive touch too.
Fabbri- Not sure he is gone. And i have been hard on him lately, but you cannot deny what this kid brought to the ice. Balls to the wall with a boat load of talent. MVP in our big run and just exciting to watch every time he was out on the ice.

Quick thoughts on returnees, not including possible rookies. I think next season is a young exciting team. Might be fighting for 7th or 8th spot due to youth. But will real fun to watch. I expect to see some amazing growth from these young guys next year.
Forwards
# Player Position
13 Tyler Hill LW L Apr 13, 1995 Will be a steady OA
14 Tyler Boston C R Jun 24, 1997 Expecting him to take his offense to another level
15 Marc Stevens C R Mar 1, 1996 Steady, hard working guy, great work ethic and might get a chance to show more offense next year
16 Ryan Foss LW L Jan 27, 1996 Hopefully can come ready to show some more upside, probably fits a depth role
21 James McEwan LW L Mar 15, 1997 Think he could put up some good numbers
22 Pius Suter LW L May 24, 1996 Will be a centerpiece to this offense if he is returned
23 Matthew Hotchkiss C L Feb 6, 1998 More regular role will help him reach his potential
24 Givani Smith RW L Feb 27, 1998 Beast, think his offense will be decent, but will be a tough one to play against for any team
25 Luke Burghardt RW R May 12, 1998 I think he adds some solid Offense and keeps growing ability wise with more regular role.
Defencemen
# Player Position
2 Levi Tetrault D L Feb 15, 1998 Did not get a big enough sample
3 Kyle Rhodes D R Dec 25, 1997 Kid is gonna be an exciting guy to watch, skating and confidence grew by leaps and bounds
4 Noah Carroll D L Dec 2, 1997 Smooth skater and poised with the puck, really like his game
5 C.J. Garcia D L Feb 3, 1996 Will be a huge part for next 2 years
7 Brock Philips D R Mar 10, 1998 small sample but plays with an edge and looks like he could fit in well
10 Austin Hall D R Apr 8, 1997 Another poised young guy that will continue to improve and be a solid dman
27 Garrett McFadden D L Aug 21, 1997 Saw glimpses of it this year, will possibly step into that offensive defenseman role and could be an awesome dman i think
Goalies
# Player Position
29 Bradley Van Schubert G Mar 22, 1997 When he got the start, he showed very well, very calm demeanor. Think he will be pretty solid with more regular starts.
39 Justin Nichols G Jun 25, 1995 Big game Goalie, sad to see he had such a rough time with injuries and getting sick at the end of season.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Mike Kelly and Bill Stewart are confirmed as back next season.

I would imagine they will start looking for another assistant coach to help out now.
Glad to see these confirmations.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Mike Kelly and Bill Stewart are confirmed as back next season.

I would imagine they will start looking for another assistant coach to help out now.
Glad to see these confirmations.

Someone get Chico the smelling salts!:laugh:

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
I could see and have thought of Todd possibly buying Scott Walkers portion of the team... I guess possibility of seeing him behind the bench too. Funny, that had slipped my mind as I was thinking solely about the ownership possibility.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Todd was my guess.

When you think about it, it makes a ton of sense. Remember back in December he was with the team, mostly to stay in playing shape, but he was also getting coaching tips and helping run practices. The article here has the info http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports...i-hanging-out-with-his-old-team-guelph-storm/

He's also been around this team for the majority of the playoffs, I have spotted him standing on the bench during warm-ups multiple times.

Also, think of the PR side. The franchise's first ever draft pick returns behind the bench for the team's 25th anniversary.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Guelph has signed 2014 seventh rounder Kyle West. A 6'3" kid who put up 31 points in 50 games in the OJHL. Good for 4th in the league among U17 skaters.

These are probably the type of moves Mike Kelly anticipated when he said that only 2 2015 picks would make the roster earlier in the week.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Blues have assigned Fabbri to their AHL affiliate. Males more sense to me then following them around not playing.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Bertuzzi and the Griffins going up against Brock McGinn and the Checkers tonight.

Also there is a very good chance Bert has to go up against Robby Fabbri in the 1st round of the AHL playoffs next week. Grand Rapids currently 2nd in the conference, Chicago sitting at 7th.

Would be crazy if within a 2 week span they go from being on the same line together in one playoffs to going against each other in another.

In another news Saxon with his final post of the 2014/15 season.
http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports-story/5564094-guelph-storm-fans-need-to-be-patient/

As he said next year is going to be the real championship hangover but I do agree if this team stays the course things could be looking very good 2 years from now. Here's hoping Fabbri somehow gets sent back so the Storm can trade him, that would be huge as really the only other real piece they have to trade would be Justin Nichols. They could get a bit for Nichols but as we saw this year with Jake Paterson don't expect a whole lot unless teams somehow get into a bidding war. Fabbri is the meal ticket next year as far as getting a high return on a trade.

Hopefully they can at least make the playoffs and then go from there.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Bertuzzi and the Griffins going up against Brock McGinn and the Checkers tonight.

Also there is a very good chance Bert has to go up against Robby Fabbri in the 1st round of the AHL playoffs next week. Grand Rapids currently 2nd in the conference, Chicago sitting at 7th.

Would be crazy if within a 2 week span they go from being on the same line together in one playoffs to going against each other in another.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports-story/5564094-guelph-storm-fans-need-to-be-patient/

As he said next year is going to be the real championship hangover but I do agree if this team stays the course things could be looking very good 2 years from now. Here's hoping Fabbri somehow gets sent back so the Storm can trade him, that would be huge as really the only other real piece they have to trade would be Justin Nichols. They could get a bit for Nichols but as we saw this year with Jake Paterson don't expect a whole lot unless teams somehow get into a bidding war. Fabbri is the meal ticket next year as far as getting a high return on a trade.

I think this is still a playoff team next season, although it would be a 7th/8th seed type team.

I think the goaltending will be solid, even if Nichols is moved. The defense looks set already, with only Baltisberger moving on. That experience playing major minutes into the second round of the playoffs will help a bunch.

The only question will be the scoring. Are the likes of Boston, Hotchkiss and Smith going to improve and score enough goals to win games? Time will tell.

Of course if Fabbri and/or Suter returns, that would help out the offence a ton (until they get moved of course). We will also have 1 or 2 import spots available (depending on Suter) which should be used on forwards. Hopefully Mike Kelly can work is magic there and find some impact players.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Fabbri and Dickinson made their AHL debuts tonight.
Fabbri with 2 assists, Dickinson with 1 assist.

Thats now 11 Storm players from last years championship team that have played in and scored points in the AHL this year.
That's pretty amazing if you think about it.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
The rebuild year will be upon us next season, it could go pretty well though with Robby as a trade chip. I predict he'll be back and traded at the deadline. The goalie situation is a toss up, may see Nichols here all year... hopefully not eating all the starts so that other goalies can develop.

Suter will be picked up by an NHL team and be back, may also stay the year as he's an import and similar to goalies, it's a situation of good fit.

It will be an opportunity for Smith, Hotchkiss, Boston, and Burghardt to develop with increased minutes. I'd like to see a line put together to develop chemistry over the next two years, perhaps Hotchkiss - Boston - Smith. If Fabrri can bring back a top '98 or '99 forward I like the looks of 2016/17.

Looking forward to seeing what the import draft brings.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
I am reading that there is a possibility that McLeod will not report to Flint. I am just wondering if that is a player that Mike Kelly and the Storm would look at acquiring. The Storm have compiled quite a few draft picks and young players. I just think that if we are building for a couple of years from now this would add another top ranked player from this years draft class.

You have a good nucleus being created with Hotchkiss, G. Smith, Boston, McEwan, Burghardt. Signed players that did not play this year in N. Sicoly, E. Brown, and K. West. Add to that this years draft class and a few other players from previous drafts that may sign and the Storm look to have foundation in place to built another contender. This not not even touch on the defensive depth that exists.

Then you have the possibility of adding other pieces if Fabbri/Nichols/Suter are returned or moved.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
McLeod won't report to Flint because he wants to play in Missy with his brother - that's likely where he'll end up. However, to answer your question, I don't think any team would say no to adding him.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
I am reading that there is a possibility that McLeod will not report to Flint. I am just wondering if that is a player that Mike Kelly and the Storm would look at acquiring. The Storm have compiled quite a few draft picks and young players. I just think that if we are building for a couple of years from now this would add another top ranked player from this years draft class.

You have a good nucleus being created with Hotchkiss, G. Smith, Boston, McEwan, Burghardt. Signed players that did not play this year in N. Sicoly, E. Brown, and K. West. Add to that this years draft class and a few other players from previous drafts that may sign and the Storm look to have foundation in place to built another contender. This not not even touch on the defensive depth that exists.

Then you have the possibility of adding other pieces if Fabbri/Nichols/Suter are returned or moved.
I would not be surprised to see Mike Kelly and a few other GMs not even look at acquiring Mcleod, just on the basis of refusing to report to the team that picked them. Just a tell tale sign of issues down the road with parents/agents meddling. Might be a headache worth avoiding.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.

Nichols signs tryout with Marlies. If he makes it, good luck. But if so, so much for getting anything for him.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Nichols signs tryout with Marlies. If he makes it, good luck. But if so, so much for getting anything for him.

I will take a more positive tone, This is what Jr Hockey is all about. These kids chasing there dreams. If Justin Nichols gets a chance to play pro at the expense of not having a trade chip.... so be it. i wish him the best of luck and hope he gives them every reason to sign him to a contract. Would love to have him back, but that is me being selfish.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
No need to fret. I'm confident he'll be back in the OHL come the fall, whether in Crimson or another city's colours.

Congrats to him, though. I

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
Just wondering if anyone has any input or ideas of what will materialize from the strange situation around former coach and part owner, Scott Walker??

He clearly left the team (or more accurately left his owner/partners) after a disagreement. I am not buying the "need more time with the family" story at all.

He literally has not been seen in the Sleeman Centre since before the WJC (and even earlier if you include his "sickness").

This is very strange to me.

Even if he wanted to spend time with his family, I am sure his wife would have LET HIM come watch a game, or come to the rink to say Hello/Goodbye to his players and retiring veterans at the season end as an owner.

He, by all accounts, was absent in the playoffs, and was no where to be seen at the season ending banquet where other ownership was present.

This guy just disappeared.

I would think if he was leaving to spend more time with his family he would have (at the very least) faced his players, and arena staff and Storm office staff (as a guy who was still going to be around an owner) and said goodbye.

The only real question that remains, is if he is going to sell his interest or remain a silent, (grumpy?) partner.

My guess is the Todd Bertuzzi buys in and takes on an Asst coaching role, and gets his feet wet in the OHL in time to get things organized for his son to come in...

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I've got no insight whatsoever....whispers about it being related to issues over not seeing eye-to-eye at the trade deadline, but nothing other than fans talking at the arena over a beer.

I do however share all of the same questions and concerns you've outlined.

Mercury reporter Tony Saxon intimated at the time it all went down that there was likely more to this story than met the eye, but noted that the full story might never be known.

I didn't mind coach Walker, but after what went down this season, I'd probably prefer to see his association with the team ended....which I think will happen this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad