Guelph Storm 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Well, a good question would be whether or not it makes sense for the Storm to sort of hang tough and wait to see how the season progresses or move some key cogs early and push younger guys up and develop them hard this year so that next year they could be a top team again. I personally think the Storm could re-tool quickly enough and be a top team as early as next year but that will depend on how Management wants to proceed this year and I don't know if anyone has a read on that so far?

I'm not sure what you mean here....hanging tough?

This team, even with Fabbri, could be in tough so I'm not sure what kind of hanging around they'll be doing. Plus, I don't know what other keys cogs they'll be moving. Outside of Fabbri (and Nichols, who I think has little trade value) generally anyone with any kind of value is young, and therefore likely won't get moved. I can't consider guys like Hill, Foss, Stevens to have much trade value, nor do I think they are key cogs.

All that said, I've been wrong before and stranger things have happened - but if I am a betting man, my money is on fighting for one of the last two playoff spots.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
If Guelph is going to trade Fabbri to a divisional rival like London it better be for a maximum return.

Just so fans of other teams know defenceman aren't really gonna cut it since Guelph is pretty set there unless it's a can't miss prospect and even in that case somebody is gonna have to take one of Guelph'a current defenceman in return.

Also Guelph is currently swimming in 2nd round picks so that's not of the greatest concern either.

Weird comment.....if Guelph trades him anywhere, it should be for the maximum return.

I also have no issue trading him to London, if that's the best deal for the Storm. With Guelph likely not being a factor, and it for sure being Fabbri's last year (if he does return), I really don't care that they Storm would have to face him a couple of times from Jan-Apr.

The concern should be getting the best package for the asset. If that's from London, Kitchener or whoever, I don't think it really matters. I've never understood the unwillingness to trade within the division assuming it's for the best package, and especially in a situation like this where the times he'll face the Storm is limited.

Just my $0.02

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Weird comment.....if Guelph trades him anywhere, it should be for the maximum return.

I also have no issue trading him to London, if that's the best deal for the Storm. With Guelph likely not being a factor, and it for sure being Fabbri's last year (if he does return), I really don't care that they Storm would have to face him a couple of times from Jan-Apr.

The concern should be getting the best package for the asset. If that's from London, Kitchener or whoever, I don't think it really matters. I've never understood the unwillingness to trade within the division assuming it's for the best package, and especially in a situation like this where the times he'll face the Storm is limited.

Just my $0.02

Oh I totally agree believe me whoever gives the best package that's who they should trade Fabbri to.
I'm just saying London better offer up something good if they want him. If they have the best offer than sure make him a Knight.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
There was something about Fabbri the last 4 weeks of the season and playoffs that made me wonder if he will EVER play for the Storm again. He seem disinterested. I dont know if it was the benching from Stewart or what caused the malaise, or the hangover from World juniors but i feel he is done.

I predict he will maxout his 10 games in St Louis and be dealt prior to suiting up for the Storm again.

I hope i am wrong. but that is my gut feel.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
There was something about Fabbri the last 4 weeks of the season and playoffs that made me wonder if he will EVER play for the Storm again. He seem disinterested. I dont know if it was the benching from Stewart or what caused the malaise, or the hangover from World juniors but i feel he is done.

I predict he will maxout his 10 games in St Louis and be dealt prior to suiting up for the Storm again.

I hope i am wrong. but that is my gut feel.

You're not alone...on both fronts.

I too thought he looked disinterested after his return from injury. Looked especially sour after games as well when interacting with fans. Not sure that's enough to draw any conclusions from, but it's certainly worth thinking about.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back with the Storm in the fall, but I'd be shocked if he was still on the roster post deadline.

I think at this point, the team is better off with the return he'll bring, rather than playing out the year in Guelph.

That's the one part where we disagree....you hope you're wrong, and I hope you're right (that he's seen his last home game in the crimson). Time to turn the page, IMO. I'll remember his OHL Playoff MVP rather than his last few months - what a treat to watch, he was!

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
You are probably right.

It is time to move/look forward and enjoy the new crop of young players coming through the system. They will no doubt take a good share of lumps along the way, but we as fans can enjoy the ride in a different way and appreciate their successes as they mature and development as players and a team.

That begs the question with respect the coaches and their coaching styles. Do you feel that Mr Stewart, who appears to be a players coach, will be up to the task of molding a very young group of players?

I think he will be up to the task, but i would suggest it would take a completely different coaching mindset to work with this group than the veteran laden squad of the last few years.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Honestly, I don't know.

Stewart has seemed a lot softer to me than I expected considering his reputation....perhaps after being "blacklisted" for so long, he understood that he could no longer coach in the same way he used to.

I think at times he's showed a lot of patience with the younger players, whereas when needed, he's been quite hard on some of the vets. I think this is good as the kids need to be afforded some leeway in order to learn, and the older players need to set a good example for them.

I'm only concerned about the structure. The second half of the year last year, it seemed like this Storm team struggled with structure and finding an identity. One game they would be listless and would be completely dominated, and the next they would be aggressive and firing on all cylinders. This could be just a function of a very young team, or it could be a sign that there needs to be a little more structure within the system in order to find more consistency.

GMMK seemed to like him enough to give him an extension, so we'll see! I think if we see some progression from the young players, it will be a pretty good sign that he's doing a good job.

Still no confirmation that I can find on Harvey, but from the sounds of things, he's expected to be back.

Is it September yet??!!?!?:D

StormLifer

Jan 7, 2013
Ariss, ON
I think at the heart of this we need to remember that these guys are still kids. They are still finding out who they are as people let alone as players while under a great amount of pressure from school, parents, coaches, teammates, fans and the media. It's unbelievable to me how these guys carry themselves under all that pressure. Can you really blame Fabbri for being a bit worn out by the end of this past season after everything that has happened over the past couple years in his life. I think Max Domi is a great example of a player maturing for their last season. Personally I couldn't stand him at the beginning of his OHL career but the turnaround and growth that he showed this past season was awesome to see. I hope that Fabbri can have that same comeback if he does end up back in the OHL and become a leader and just enjoy the game.

As far as this season goes I'm excited to see the young guys get to play their hearts out every night and hopefully have fun doing it. It is going to be a battle to get into the playoffs and we will probably see a lot of losses but I also think that if these guys can really gel like the Mem cup team it could be something really special to watch over the next few seasons.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
I think at the heart of this we need to remember that these guys are still kids. They are still finding out who they are as people let alone as players while under a great amount of pressure from school, parents, coaches, teammates, fans and the media. It's unbelievable to me how these guys carry themselves under all that pressure. Can you really blame Fabbri for being a bit worn out by the end of this past season after everything that has happened over the past couple years in his life. I think Max Domi is a great example of a player maturing for their last season. Personally I couldn't stand him at the beginning of his OHL career but the turnaround and growth that he showed this past season was awesome to see. I hope that Fabbri can have that same comeback if he does end up back in the OHL and become a leader and just enjoy the game.

As far as this season goes I'm excited to see the young guys get to play their hearts out every night and hopefully have fun doing it. It is going to be a battle to get into the playoffs and we will probably see a lot of losses but I also think that if these guys can really gel like the Mem cup team it could be something really special to watch over the next few seasons.

As Far as Fabbri goes, i think last year with being sent back, injuries and fan reaction to his play. I think it was probably humbling for him. Whether he is back in Guelph or traded, i expect to see the old Robbi back this year with a hell of a lot to prove and show. I probably was just as hard on him as anyone, but i think he is also mature enough to learn from his mistakes. A summer of recovery and being reinvigorated will probably make the world of difference.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Nichols off to Leafs Rookie Tourney.

Great for him! Perhaps a big year can get him a contract?

Hoping for a solid year from him if not moved.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
happy for Nichols!

Hopefully he stays with the Storm this season. His trade value will not be that high with the number of other goalies also available this season. I have heard that has been attending U of G. hopefully he wants to continue his studies at the local university and battle with the young Storm team this season. He would be a very steadying and valuable member to this years team if he stays.

the young Defense will be fun to watch develop this season. There could be some "long" nights back there with the young d corps but they will figure it out. i dont see many blue chip prospects back there however, and would be happy to see some help brought in in the form of an older, experienced player to help with injuries, suspensions etc.
up front, goal scoring is the real challenge, hopefully the young forwards grow into an offensive role with larger minutes available to them this year.

Patience from the coaching staff will go a long way this season to aid in the confidence of this years team

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
happy for Nichols!

Hopefully he stays with the Storm this season. His trade value will not be that high with the number of other goalies also available this season. I have heard that has been attending U of G. hopefully he wants to continue his studies at the local university and battle with the young Storm team this season. He would be a very steadying and valuable member to this years team if he stays.

the young Defense will be fun to watch develop this season. There could be some "long" nights back there with the young d corps but they will figure it out. i dont see many blue chip prospects back there however, and would be happy to see some help brought in in the form of an older, experienced player to help with injuries, suspensions etc.
up front, goal scoring is the real challenge, hopefully the young forwards grow into an offensive role with larger minutes available to them this year.

Patience from the coaching staff will go a long way this season to aid in the confidence of this years team

Agreed, on a few counts!

Fans and coaches alike will need to be patient, more than likely.

And in terms of the D, I'd like to see an OA with some grit/toughness to be brought in to teach and mentor the younger players, but also to be a little bit of a policeman for the squad. While Stevens (and maybe Liam, too) and Smith do possess that grit, Stevens is small and I'd prefer to keep Smith in his current agitator/scoring role, rather than a policeman.

Regardless of the outlook, I'm still JACKED for the season to begin!

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
Agree 100% about them needing some grit.

The addition of a sandpaper OA or veteran defenseman would go a long way to address that need.

where do we expect the offense to come from?

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Agree 100% about them needing some grit.

The addition of a sandpaper OA or veteran defenseman would go a long way to address that need.

where do we expect the offense to come from?

What's offense? lol

Honestly, no idea.

I expect progression from Boston, Hotchkiss, Smith and McEwan...well, I expect progression from everyone, but in terms of contribution to offense, these guys are going to need to step up. They should get a little help from Garcia and McFadden on the back end, but make no mistake, this team is looking like it will be extremely offensively challenged.

I don't want to be too over the top, but it wouldn't shock me if the team finished at the bottom of the league for goals for - mind you, Flint looks to be pretty horri-awful this year too, so at least we'll have company!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Think I have posted this before, but here it is again.

This assumes no Fabbri, Suter etc. Though I DO think Fabbri will be back once St.Louis returns him, and before he's traded elsewhere in the OHL.

Returning Goals:

Tyler Hill (OA) - 14
Tyler Boston - 10
Givani Smith - 7
Ryan Foss (OA) - 6
Matt Hotchkiss - 6
Mark Stevens - 4
CJ Garcia - 4
James McEwan - 3
Garrett McFadden - 2
Noah Carroll - 2
Austin Hall - 2
Luke Burghardt - 1

TOTAL: 61

While no doubt a young team, I have a hard time imagining a team retuning less goals than the Storm.

With added minutes and responsibility, I am hopeful things aren't as bleak as they seem next year.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Interesting:

Former Maple Leaf and Pittsburgh Penguin (among other things) Luca Caputi named to Storm's coaching staff for 2015/16.

The article also insinuates in no uncertain terms that Coach Harvey will be back next (this) year as well. So that answers a question from a few pages back!

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I think we would be better off trading Nichols, even though there are other goalies available, I for one think he has huge value to a team looking to make a run. He brings experience and a proven track record to take a team all the way and steal a game or two.

I wouldn't make the trade until the deadline to get maximum use of him for ourselves. Then we could look to get the grit others have talked about or some more promising young talent to fill in the 3rd or 4th lines.

I hope McEwen has a great year, he dazzled me when he was out on the ice and would love to see him get a shot on the second line. I hope Hotchkiss steps it up a notch from last year, he impressed me at the start of the season but after the first half, he was non-existent and didn't look like he wanted to be there with the lack of fore and back checking.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
I really like the hiring of the young assistant coach Caputi.

I feel he will be a great liaison between the young team and the older, established coaching staff. Smart move by Mr Kelly to give an opportunity to an up and coming coach in the bottom of a rebuilding cycle. Gives the young coach no pressure or expectations and allows him to get a few years under his belt and hopefully be a real coaching asset if/when this team is posed to challenge again in 2 seasons time

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I think we would be better off trading Nichols, even though there are other goalies available, I for one think he has huge value to a team looking to make a run. He brings experience and a proven track record to take a team all the way and steal a game or two.

I wouldn't make the trade until the deadline to get maximum use of him for ourselves. Then we could look to get the grit others have talked about or some more promising young talent to fill in the 3rd or 4th lines.

I hope McEwen has a great year, he dazzled me when he was out on the ice and would love to see him get a shot on the second line. I hope Hotchkiss steps it up a notch from last year, he impressed me at the start of the season but after the first half, he was non-existent and didn't look like he wanted to be there with the lack of fore and back checking.

I hope you're right! I just think if you look at the other goalie options out there, coupled with what a guy like Jake Paterson returned for Saginaw last year, the outlook isn't great. A good 1st half would likely help, though. Nichols was a big part of the team's success two years ago, and I hope he is able to be a part of another playoff run - albeit likely on another team.

Agreed on Hotchkiss. Needs to be much more consistent.

Disagree on McEwan. Showed some flashes for sure, and his effort level is very good....just not sure the skill is there to make a real impact. Again, I hope you're right! It's always great to see a player prove dummies like me wrong!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I really like the hiring of the young assistant coach Caputi.

I feel he will be a great liaison between the young team and the older, established coaching staff. Smart move by Mr Kelly to give an opportunity to an up and coming coach in the bottom of a rebuilding cycle. Gives the young coach no pressure or expectations and allows him to get a few years under his belt and hopefully be a real coaching asset if/when this team is posed to challenge again in 2 seasons time

I read (can't remember if it was from Saxon or Mellott) that Luca has been keeping a notebook all through his hockey career of ideas and situations he knew he could learn from and use at a later date. Sounds like a really great addition to the staff!

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
Camp is right around the corner!

The Storm website has now deleted all players from last season, a "clean slate" so to speak.

Time for roster projections!

also, Mr Kelly usually seems to find a free agent or two for camp. Any thoughts or whispers on who may show up that is not on the radar??

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
The hockey bug has officially bitten me again, I'm dying for the preseason to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad