Friedman: Gudbranson Trade Interest?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This post is a god send.

I couldn’t agree more. Please feel free to post that on the Canucks section of this site.

So many times, people say stuff to me like, “Oh, well I don’t see teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh having knuckle draggers on their team and they seem to be doing just fine.”

If the Canucks had a team full of Bo Horvat’s (I.e. guys that hardly ever fight but aren’t going to be pushed around, know how to stand up for themselves, and are built like a tree stump), then I wouldn’t care at all if we had guys that could throw down.

The truth of the matter however is that we’ve got guys like the twins, Baertschi, Stecher, Hutton, Granlund, etc., that are about as aggressive as a lamb.

I just shutter to think about what teams will do to guys like Boeser, Petterrsson, Juolevi, etc, in the playoffs one day if we don’t have a few guys that can set opponents straight.

Chris Pronger. Dustin Byfiglien. Brad Marchand. Shawn Thornton. Dustin Brown. Michael Ferland.

The names will change but the problem will not.

Luongo will continue to smell Byfuglien’s bum in the crease. Marchand will continue to punch the twins in the face. Ferland will continue to lay the hammer on guys like Tanev, Edler, and Bieksa. Pronger will continue to lacerate Kesler’s calf.

Getting rid of guys like Gudbranson is not a luxury the Canucks can afford in my opinion.....unless you find an adequate replacement.
This is your issue??? Well then we'll trade you Martin for Gudbranson and your problem is solved....because the game has evolved which has made the "enforcer" pretty much useless. If your main asset is the fact you can throw a punch, then you are in trouble in today's game. But again...if that's your issue....then i will sweeten my offer and give you both Martin AND Polak.

Reactions: Catbug

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Nothing, the guy can barely play

However, he has personal charisma, that FLA used to sell tickets

That crosses over to lockerrooms too, if a guy is really a lynchpin backstage, making sure attitudes and other BS don't get out of hand, then that is a real asset.

And don't be fooled, coaches LOVE guys who can fight, its like going to a bar with your dumb but really tough friend, he may or may not turn off the chicks by being an idiot, but if something kicks off you know you're covered

It's the ONLY reason Bieksa is still in the league....although, if Bieksa were your friend at the bar he'd just watch you get your a$$ kicked then smirk at you about it,

But if he all of a sudden "feels like" fighting,.....Look out!

As a long time Canucks follower, I can honestly say I never once saw Bieksa stand up for a teammate, Kessler too...

The two most useless, selfish "tough guys" in NHL history

If anyone offers virtually anything for Gud, the Canucks should take it.

Bieksa, even now, probably holds more value with how Gud is playing. Brings absolutely nothing.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
This post is a god send.

I couldn’t agree more. Please feel free to post that on the Canucks section of this site.

So many times, people say stuff to me like, “Oh, well I don’t see teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh having knuckle draggers on their team and they seem to be doing just fine.”

If the Canucks had a team full of Bo Horvat’s (I.e. guys that hardly ever fight but aren’t going to be pushed around, know how to stand up for themselves, and are built like a tree stump), then I wouldn’t care at all if we had guys that could throw down.

The truth of the matter however is that we’ve got guys like the twins, Baertschi, Stecher, Hutton, Granlund, etc., that are about as aggressive as a lamb.

I just shutter to think about what teams will do to guys like Boeser, Petterrsson, Juolevi, etc, in the playoffs one day if we don’t have a few guys that can set opponents straight.

Chris Pronger. Dustin Byfiglien. Brad Marchand. Shawn Thornton. Dustin Brown. Michael Ferland.

Luongo will continue to smell Byfuglien’s bum in the crease. Marchand will continue to punch the twins in the face. Ferland will continue to lay the hammer on guys like Tanev, Edler, and Bieksa. Pronger will continue to lacerate Kesler’s calf.

Getting rid of guys like Gudbranson is not a luxury the Canucks can afford in my opinion.....unless you find an adequate replacement.

So many times, people say stuff to me like, “Oh, well I don’t see teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh having knuckle draggers on their team and they seem to be doing just fine.” -- Weird. People saying something "so many times", because it makes sense? It's a valid point suggesting your argument holds no weight.

In a line-up with not much talent, you leave every opportunity to bring it to the team. Gudbranson isn't a good player. And everything points to that role bring significantly less important.

Chris Pronger. Dustin Byfiglien. Brad Marchand. Shawn Thornton. Dustin Brown. Michael Ferland. Aside from Shawn Thornton, these are good players. Gudbranson is not. Absolute nonsense arguments..

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I agree. After watching Dermott play, why not just bring him up to play with Polak (ugh) and rotate Borg/Carrick....or trade Carrick?
Kami is a bit over the top, I would not take him seriously. What may be kicking tires suddenly transforms into our GM is incompetent, ok then.

In reality if we were to move for him it would be to get cheap veteran playoff depth. And Polak is not in our top 4....Dermott is making a very good case for himself, no need to get anxious, we do not know how that is going to play out. He may well get sent down again for contract reasons and be back for the playoffs.

I think Borg is in our plans, Carrick I doubt is at this point. The question is, is there a market for him?

It will be interesting to see the price on this guy, I suspect a 2nd which we could afford, but I also think we can do better.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This is your issue??? Well then we'll trade you Martin for Gudbranson and your problem is solved....because the game has evolved which has made the "enforcer" pretty much useless. If your main asset is the fact you can throw a punch, then you are in trouble in today's game. But again...if that's your issue....then i will sweeten my offer and give you both Martin AND Polak.

Pure knuckle staggers are passé......I agree.

However, guys that can fight AND play the game fairly well are still in demand.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
This post is a god send.

It's true, it's the reason we've been pushed around for years

And even going back to the 2011 days, we had some of the most useless tough guys the NHL has ever seen,

Say what you want about Bieksa and Kessler, but I would swear on a stack of Bibles that I have NEVER seen either one stand up for a teammate, not even Bieksa, who is known as one of the leagues better fighters (He just proved it again last night)

Those guys would only fight if they felt like it, which was only when someone pissed THEM off personally, I remember Henrik taking a headshot from Mark Methot when he was in Columbus, Bieksa skated right by and didn't bat an eyelash.

I remember the Columbus commentators being really confused and wondering out loud if he didn't see it, I remember sitting at home and thinking:

"No, he saw it, he just doesn't care because it didn't happen to HIM"

With Dorset and yes....even Gudds, but Dorsett especially, it reminded me of how long it has been since we had a tough guy take a regular shift and establish clear boundaries with other teams,

Brashear? He mainly played to fight, Rypien? Maybe but still not quite in the top 6 top 4 class,

Bertuzzi? YES Although it still sickens me to think of how the fans turned on him when he did what he was trained to do since he was a kid, something the Canucks fans cheered him on for......it was bad don't get me wrong but, to think for one second that he EVER intended to do any permanent harm is a joke,

I digress...off the soapbox, Bertuzzi and then back to Gino, who poped in 20 on Pavel's wing will single-handedly fighting the entire St. Louis Blues,

Gino was genuinely feared, he was so ferocious that even the top fighters knew they needed to bring their A-game because he was going to fight like his life depended on it.

I think I only remember one clear loss, and he went with Probert, Grimson, Kocer, Mcsorley.

Anyway, the way the game is now, you can't have your toughness in your bottom 6 or a D that plays 8 minutes a night

I'll be honest, Gudds is awful, I mean he's the 2nd coming of Dana Myrzin (But I love Myrzn for who he is, not for what his Corsi for might have been) but having him on the ice, at a few points this season, things have happened, where the Canucks INITIATED, it had been so many years I forgot what that was like..

I don't know, I do know the whole thing was a set up by Tallon to Troll Benning, and the plan was always to bring him back (Remember the trade LEAK, last summer? That was Tallon telling Gudds not to sign, without risking tampering)

I wish Gudds was at least A LITTLE good at being a defenseman,

Can't we convert him to wing? Play him with the Sedins?

And your right about Horvat, he's no frequent flyer but he's shown the league he's ready to drop em' at a moments notice, Stecher really helped himself to this year, if the other team knows you're willing it does wonders,

Even back when we had Gino, EVERYONE on the Canucks would fight, Except Kirk McClean and Pavel Bure, EVERYONE else fought

Even our mild-mannered President averaged about 2-3 fights a year, Trev was no great fighter, but he knew he had to let guys know, cross this line? it's ON,

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Very well said! The Blues are having similar problems.

The Blues?

They've ALWAYS been tough, we used to have WARS with them

Being led by Braydon Schenn how bad can it be (Only one more year of Stastnsny, the 7 million dollar floater.......just FLUSH HIM)

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Muh meat and potatoes

Look, we all know what the problem is...

Gudds can't play f**king hockey, all these teams talking about "depth" and "right side upgrades" don't get it

HE CAN'T PLAY, YOU WILL LITERALLY HAVE A GIANT TURD IN SKATES TURNING PUCKS OVER

Gulbranson is an upgrade on ME if I'm in your top six, but other than that....I don't think people understand how bad he really is

The other stuff is about a part of hockey, that the Canucks have been terrible at forever, the "Intimidate don't get intimidated" thing is alive and well, just far more undercover than it used to be

We can love the idea of having a defenseman who addresses that, while still being sad about the fact that he can't play hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad