Friedman: Gudbranson Trade Interest?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Friedman was asked which teams he’s heard might be kicking tires on Gudbranson.
“I think there’s been a lot,” replied the Insider. “I can’t tell you 100 percent. The difficulty I have with answering that question is that I think some teams just call to say, ‘If we’re interested, what are you looking at.’ And I think there’s some teams who call and say, ‘This isn’t our first choice, but what are you looking at.’
“Put it this way: I would assume that Toronto has at least called and asked about it. It wouldn’t surprise me if somebody like Tampa has called and asked about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if L.A., which is I think looking for a defenseman, wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve called and asked about it.

But the one thing that I can’t tell you is who is really seriously gung-ho interested. Because I can’t tell that yet. And one of the reasons is I think some people are sitting there and are trying to figure out who is available.
“I think there are teams out there – and I don’t necessarily think Arizona is going to do it – but I think there are teams out there looking for a D and saying, ‘Do we have to save all our assets in case Ekman-Larsson becomes available.’ And I think there are people who would tell you they are doing that.
Friedman | Tough To Gauge Gudbranson Trade Interest

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I still contend that the Canucks are better off signing Gudbranson to a long term deal, while dealing Hutton for another RHD.

With Juolevi, Edler, and a returing Tryamkin (will happen at some point btw), the Canucks have enough depth on the left side as far as Top 4 LHD's go (both short term and long term). Guys like Pouliot, Del Zotto, etc, give the Canucks some depth on that side.

The right side however is a tire fire/gong show. Outside of Tanev, we have no one there. Biega and Stecher are both 7th defenseman, while Guds is a solid 3rd pairing guy with a unique skill set (physicality, intangibles, etc.).

Sign Gudbranson long term, and trade Hutton for another RHD. Voila - the Canucks have decent depth on both sides.

At the 2018 draft, the Canucks then draft a RHD. When said RHD develops, you can then move Tanev.

Del Zotto and Stecher get punted off a cliff and into the sea (for picks).

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I still contend that the Canucks are better off signing Gudbranson to a long term deal, while dealing Hutton for another RHD.

With Juolevi, Edler, and a returing Tryamkin (will happen at some point btw), the Canucks have enough depth on the left side as far as Top 4 LHD's go (both short term and long term). Guys like Pouliot, Del Zotto, etc, give the Canucks some depth on that side.

The right side however is a tire fire/gong show. Outside of Tanev, we have no one there. Biega and Stecher are both 7th defenseman, while Guds is a solid 3rd pairing guy with a unique skill set (physicality, intangibles, etc.).

Sign Gudbranson long term, and trade Hutton for another RHD. Voila - the Canucks have decent depth on both sides.

At the 2018 draft, the Canucks then draft a RHD. When said RHD develops, you can then move Tanev.

awful plan

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009

Yikes. You may be worse than Benning. Actually yes, you'r in a whole other league

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

As a fan who enjoys seeing the Canucks lose, I fully endorse your plan, Jim.

member 105785

Are you ready to pay 4.5x5 for Gudbranson? That's what it'll cost.

Reactions: travis scott

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Guds is a solid third pairing guy with a unique skill set (physicality, intangibles, etc)

That sounds like such a broad, vague, I can't really think of anything unique about him statement. Intangibles...what does that even mean anymore? He's physical. That's really all you, or I could possibly think of. He doesn't skate that well. He doesn't handle the puck extremely well. He doesn't bring any playoff experience. So what is unique about his skill set, and "intangibles"?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I just don't know why the Leafs are in on him. Very concerning that the team was turning a corner and now Babcock won't take Polak out of the top 4 and Lou is trying to trade for types of players who the game has evolved past.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I just don't know why the Leafs are in on him. Very concerning that the team was turning a corner and now Babcock won't take Polak out of the top 4 and Lou is trying to trade for types of players who the game has evolved past.
I like Guddy over polak for sure.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yikes. You may be worse than Benning. Actually yes, you'r in a whole other league

Cool.

Guys, I stand corrected.

Lets trade Gudbranson for a draft pick.

Next year, lets ice the following defense:

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-Biega

Pouliot (LD), Del Zotto (LD), Brisebois (LD), Adrien Plavsic (comes out of retirement to give us some depth on the right side)

Markstrom
Demko

Lets play our top defensive prospect with either journeyman Biega or Troy "7th defenseman" Stecher and marvel at how fast Juolevi develops by playing with those guys. Lets give Demko some starts next year behind that cess pool of a defense. What better way to break in a goalie prospect by playing him behind a joke of a defense.

Lets just sit back with our thumbs up our sphincters and just assume that we'll sign a guy like Mike Green in the off-season to give us a semblance of depth.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Cool.

Guys, I stand corrected.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-Biega

Pouliot (LD), Del Zotto (LD), Brisebois (LD), Adrien Plavsic (comes out of retirement to give us some depth on the right side)

Markstrom
Demko

Lets play our top defensive prospect with either journeyman Biega or Troy "7th defenseman" Stecher and marvel at how fast Juolevi develops by playing with those guys. Lets give Demko some starts next year behind that cess pool of a defense. What better way to break in a goalie prospect by playing him behind a joke of a defense.

Lets just sit back with our thumbs up our sphincters and just assume that we'll sign a guy like Mike Green in the off-season to give us a semblance of depth.

See the thing is that both Stecher and Biega bring just as much intangibles to the table as Guddy, if not more, they're just sub-6ft

Biega has been largely more effective than Guddy the entire time Gudbranson has been here, he doesn't get the roster spot though because he doesn't have the pedigree nor the desire of management to succeed, because they didn't give up a haul for him

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Cool.

Guys, I stand corrected.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-Biega

Markstrom
Demko

L O L.
If you think Gudbranson is more valuable than Stecher, who I admit is struggling, than you really need to reevaluate your "pro" scouting. Gudbranson has those great intangibles and an overrated physical game that GMs value, but in terms of on ice value, Stecher does so much more for this team. Not to mention it's his second year in the NHL and is still an unknown commodity compared to Gudbranson.

Why the hell are you penciling in Juolevi? He has to force his way into the lineup like Hutton or Stecher and if he does that, he should have no problem playing on the bottom pair. If he does just that Biega is a fantastic person to pair him with if indeed this team ices him as a #6 with Del Zotto magically gone. Biega is great at covering for offensive defensemen. He may not be the most gifted player but he's a workhorse that will skate or get the puck out. He's what you want Gudbranson to be, except he gets paid nothing relative to what Real Gud projects.

Gudbranson may succeed with another team, but he won't with the Canucks. If other teams value him, why would you trade puck moving defensemen who have much more room to grow than him?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Cool.

Guys, I stand corrected.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-Biega

Markstrom
Demko

You cant baby a goalie. He needs to see puck. If he's good, his save percentage will be good too even if his GAA is high

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I agree. After watching Dermott play, why not just bring him up to play with Polak (ugh) and rotate Borg/Carrick....or trade Carrick?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
L O L.
If you think Gudbranson is more valuable than Stecher, who I admit is struggling, than you really need to reevaluate your "pro" scouting. Gudbranson has those great intangibles and an overrated physical game that GMs value, but in terms of on ice value, Stecher does so much more for this team. Not to mention it's his second year in the NHL and is still an unknown commodity compared to Gudbranson.

Why the hell are you penciling in Juolevi? He has to force his way into the lineup like Hutton or Stecher and if he does that, he should have no problem playing on the bottom pair. If he does just that Biega is a fantastic person to pair him with if indeed this team ices him as a #6 with Del Zotto magically gone. Biega is great at covering for offensive defensemen. He may not be the most gifted player but he's a workhorse that will skate or get the puck out. He's what you want Gudbranson to be, except he gets paid nothing relative to what Real Gud projects.

Gudbranson may succeed with another team, but he won't with the Canucks. If other teams value him, why would you trade puck moving defensemen who have much more room to grow than him?
My problem with Gudbrandson is that he provides NOTHING on offense. Not many d men offer literally nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad