Friedman: Gudbranson Trade Interest?

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Atleast Canucks will be rid of Benning after this season. You guys have Tallon for a few more years to try to “fix” your team.

:laugh:

As bad as you think Tallon is he’s led the team to 2 of their 5 playoff appearances in their whole history. God that really says how awful the Panthers have been. :facepalm:

Weird thing about Guds as mediocre as he is in the regular season he was good in the playoffs. His rookie year he was great then he wrecked his shoulder kneeboarding his second year and has been pretty much mediocre since.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Lol.

Yes, Gudbranson is a "better" hitter but that doesn't make him a better player than Stecher.
Maybe Gudbranson is a better shot blocker because he loses the puck all the time and is forced to block shots? Do you think Kris Russell is good? Cause he blocks a ton of shots... But he also gets destroyed in terms of possession and we'll, if the pucks always in your end, you're more likely to get scored on and not score. Fascinating. Do you think Edler is better than Tanev because he hits more and plays PP and PK? If you think yes, then you and I value different things in players.

Let me reiterate: I know Stecher has struggled this year. But despite this, I believe he has more to offer to the Canucks than Gudbranson now and going forward.

You said a few times already that Stecher offer more but you are not providing any evidences to support your argument. Yes he can skate the puck up ice and pass the first pass but is he providing any offense. No he is not. Is he on the ice for a lot of goals forward but doesn't getting a point, he is not. Also he doesn't play much special teams. What is bringing to the table?

As of now both have 3 points.

I am not sure why you keep bringing other players. We are talking about Gudbranson vs Stecher. Yes Hitting and blocking shot doesn't mean you are better player but we are talking who brings more to the table and more valuable. Gudbranson is providing hitting and Blocking shots. You can say Gudbranson is doing something to help the Canucks but you can't Say the same about Stecher.

Sure Gudbranson is in his own end more and be block some shots because of that but a lot reason is because Gudbranson plays tougher mins and starts a lot more in the defensive zone.

I really think Stecher skating style is tricking you into think he is really valuable.

For the record all the defensmen are healthy now. Stecher 15 mins of ice time tonight . Least amount of mins out of all the defensemen

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Really..lol. Go back and look at your trade proposals, the Canuck's wouldn't have a 1st round pick for the next 5yrs if you were the GM, a team full of Phanuef's Kane's and a bunch of overpriced crap.

Nope.

In reality, I would never (if rarely) trade a 1st rounder. My proposals on here are purely hypothetical “think out loud” posts in an effort to try and see the other side of the coin (while generating discussion).

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
If Jim Benning can get a decent return he should be considering all offers.

I think he likes Gudbranson in the context of next season. Remember, they wanted playoffs and iced a pretty decent squad early on. Gudbranson makes more sense on a playoff team.
This isn't a playoff team anytime within the next few years, never mind as soon as next year. The gross thing is that Benning has tried to make the playoffs every single year he's been GM, and his best effort at doing that has been bottom 5 with the exception of 2015

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I think a number of younger fans (be it on here, other sites, offline, etc.) get excited when they play NHL for their PS4’s and get all “giddy” when their collection of 4.5 green star prospects turn into a bunch of Geordie Howe’s 2-3 seasons later.

I think that’s why many of the younger fans are so oblivious to the concept of “culture” and “mentor ship” and building up prospects slowly so that they aren’t thrown to the wolves in roles they are too green for.

Some of these fans are arrogant. They believe that becaus they’ve successfully built a team from scratch on their NHL PlayStation or their Fantasy Hockey League’s, that they are smarter than professional GM’s.

When you cite examples to them how difficult rebuilding really and truly is, and what it truly entails, they simply cannot fathom the concept.
I think a number of younger fans get excited when they make trades on their PS4s and then they make a thread about it.

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think a number of younger fans get excited when they make trades on their PS4s and then they make a thread about it.

Agreed.

To be honest though, I don’t mind if anyone makes trade proposals on here. That’s what these boards are for (to promote discussion), and lord knows I’ve made my fair share of stupid and unrealistic proposals.

The only thing that really annoys me on here is when these “fans” think that they know more than professional GM’s.....and refuse to see the logic behind what said GM’s are doing. They often times assume that whatever works for them on PS4 will work for GM’s in real life, and then get angry when said GM’s do something radically different in real life.

As it relates to the Canucks - Benning has obviously made some mistakes (Eriksson signing, Forsling trade, etc.), but he’s also made some brilliant moves which the Benning haters, for whatever reason, don’t give him credit for.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I just don't know why the Leafs are in on him. Very concerning that the team was turning a corner and now Babcock won't take Polak out of the top 4 and Lou is trying to trade for types of players who the game has evolved past.
I kind of agree. I'm not a fan of how much management and the coaching staff seem to overvalue plugs that work hard. We literally have no use for Guddy at all. Our bottom pairing is overcrowded enough.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
As it relates to the Canucks - Benning has obviously made some mistakes (Eriksson signing, Forsling trade, etc.), but he’s also made some brilliant moves which the Benning haters, for whatever reason, don’t give him credit for.

Can you name one? And before you say Boeser, everyone is saying it was a great pick.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Can you name one? And before you say Boeser, everyone is saying it was a great pick.

Baertschi, Pouliot, and Granlund all look like decent trades.
Bieksa and Burrows are good trades, even if the other GM initiated them.
Hansen for Goldobin + 4th certainly doesn't look bad given how Hansen is doing.

In terms of drafting, Demko/Gaudette/Pettersson are tracking well, Tryamkin [him leaving for Russia doesn't really relate to drafting ability, IMO], and the potential Lind/Gadjovich/DiPietro/Juolevi/etc. that we usually get excited over and 1/4 pan out.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Lack deal, Burrows deal, Hansen deal, drafting Pettersson, Tryamkin, etc., etc., etc., Baertschi trade, Granlund trade, Bieksa deal, Garrison deal........to name a few.

Bringing in Sutter is a deal that most don't like, but his presence here played a key role in sheltering Horvat until Horvat truly was ready to take the next level.

Vanek, Vrbata, and Miller were also solid signings. There's some other solid deals that I'm missing here.

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Lack deal, Burrows deal, Hansen deal, drafting Pettersson, Tryamkin, etc., etc., etc., Baertschi trade, Granlund trade, Bieksa deal, Garrison deal........to name a few.

Bringing in Sutter is a deal that most don't like, but his presence here played a key role in sheltering Horvat until Horvat truly was ready to take the next level.

Vanek, Vrbata, and Miller were also solid signings. There's some other solid deals that I'm missing here.

There's nothing wrong with Sutter as a 4th line shutdown C. The problem is we're paying him like a 2C

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I think I have a different definition of "brilliant" moves than 50 Sheas of Grey on Bovinder.

If the Läck/Hansen/Baertschi/Granlund/Garrison/Bieksa trades and the signings of Vrbata/Miller/Vanek are considered brilliant, I honestly dont want to see what a good or even average move looks like.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
There's nothing wrong with Sutter as a 4th line shutdown C. The problem is we're paying him like a 2C
Agreed. If he was making $2.5 mil no one would have a problem with him. But because his contract is $4.375, everyone calls him a bum. I'd take Sutter as my 4th line center any day ... the contract just makes it sting a little.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think I have a different definition of "brilliant" moves than 50 Sheas of Grey on Bovinder.

If the Läck/Hansen/Baertschi/Granlund/Garrison/Bieksa trades and the signings of Vrbata/Miller/Vanek are considered brilliant, I honestly dont want to see what a good or even average move looks like.

On the flip side of that, If......

-2nd for Vey
-Kassian + 5th for Prust
etc

Are considered “franchise crippling,” then I honestly don’t want to see what a bad or even a terrible move looks like (and yes, I do concede that Benning has made some bad moves).

The Kesler deal = gun pointed at Benning’s head.

Eriksson deal = he will either be easily traded to a cap floor team after his 4th season here (31 of his 36 million will have been paid out by then) if he re-establishes his game, or he will retire. It’s modern day cap circumvention, and Benning did this deliberately. It’s why the Eriksson signing wasn’t nearly as risky as people made it out to be, even though the signing clearly hasn’t panned out.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
This isn't a playoff team anytime within the next few years, never mind as soon as next year. The gross thing is that Benning has tried to make the playoffs every single year he's been GM, and his best effort at doing that has been bottom 5 with the exception of 2015

It's true. The Canucks always try for playoffs. They will again, that's pretty much a given.

IMO, they had a playoff team for a few games to start the season. Everything was working. Players were flourishing! Contrast that with the last three months of last season. Benning got it done! I was more shocked than anybody. I thought they were hopeless and were going to lose Horvat.

Anyway, they came undone. It isn't the kind of fail you'd expect, though (except for goaltending, which was ill conceived, IMO). There is zero reason to think they aren't planning to make the playoffs next season. If Benning catches some luck there is no reason to think they won't. The pieces they need to make it work are known.

Some good will come of this season, so they have a better chance next season. Key players will be more experienced and should do well next season. This helps scoring, defence and goal. Coaching may evolve. Benning may wow some people again, too. He was a different GM since the last trade deadline. It should be better year to restock, too, with no expansion issues. In this context, is Gudbranson expendable?

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It's true. The Canucks always try for playoffs. They will again, that's pretty much a given.

IMO, they had a playoff team for a few games to start the season. Everything was working. Players were flourishing! Contrast that with the last three months of last season. Benning got it done! I was more shocked than anybody. I thought they were hopeless and were going to lose Horvat.

Anyway, they came undone. It isn't the kind of fail you'd expect, though (except for goaltending, which was ill conceived, IMO). There is zero reason to think they aren't planning to make the playoffs next season. If Benning catches some luck there is no reason to think they won't. The pieces they need to make it work are known.

Some good will come of this season, so they have a better chance next season. Key players will be more experienced and should do well next season. This helps scoring, defence and goal. Coaching may evolve. Benning may wow some people again, too. He was a different GM since the last trade deadline. It should be better year to restock, too, with no expansion issues. In this context, is Gudbranson expendable?

Any team losing two vital centers, a Top 6 winger, and some other key players will be in tough.

You hit the nail on the head. Prior to the Canucks’ injuries, they were right in the thick of things, and were pretty much following the vision that Benning and Linden had in mind. Were they setting the world on fire? Not by a long shot, but these guys were legitimately competing for a playoff spot.

If you keep the exact same team next season, and simply add in a few guys (Petterrsson, + another prospect that is ready to step in), then is it really farfetched to assume that the Canucks would be less susceptible to an injury bug since they would have the necessary depth?

Speaking of injuries, I do have to admit that the Canucks have had a large number of injuries to key players over the past few years. When it happens once or twice, you can blame it on bad luck. When it happens a third or fourth time however (as it’s happened to us in 4 of the last 5 seasons), then I start to question the conditioning of this team......or if the team as a whole is too small and simply can’t handle the physical grind?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Tampa makes the most sense. They have a lot of prospects panning very well, they are the best team in the league and they have injuries on defense.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Guds is a solid third pairing guy with a unique skill set (physicality, intangibles, etc)

That sounds like such a broad, vague, I can't really think of anything unique about him statement. Intangibles...what does that even mean anymore? He's physical. That's really all you, or I could possibly think of. He doesn't skate that well. He doesn't handle the puck extremely well. He doesn't bring any playoff experience. So what is unique about his skill set, and "intangibles"?

Nothing, the guy can barely play

However, he has personal charisma, that FLA used to sell tickets

That crosses over to lockerrooms too, if a guy is really a lynchpin backstage, making sure attitudes and other BS don't get out of hand, then that is a real asset.

And don't be fooled, coaches LOVE guys who can fight, its like going to a bar with your dumb but really tough friend, he may or may not turn off the chicks by being an idiot, but if something kicks off you know you're covered

It's the ONLY reason Bieksa is still in the league....although, if Bieksa were your friend at the bar he'd just watch you get your a$$ kicked then smirk at you about it,

But if he all of a sudden "feels like" fighting,.....Look out!

As a long time Canucks follower, I can honestly say I never once saw Bieksa stand up for a teammate, Kessler too...

The two most useless, selfish "tough guys" in NHL history

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Any team losing two vital centers, a Top 6 winger, and some other key players will be in tough.

You hit the nail on the head. Prior to the Canucks’ injuries, they were right in the thick of things, and were pretty much following the vision that Benning and Linden had in mind. Were they setting the world on fire? Not by a long shot, but these guys were legitimately competing for a playoff spot.

If you keep the exact same team next season, and simply add in a few guys (Petterrsson, + another prospect that is ready to step in), then is it really farfetched to assume that the Canucks would be less susceptible to an injury bug since they would have the necessary depth?

Speaking of injuries, I do have to admit that the Canucks have had a large number of injuries to key players over the past few years. When it happens once or twice, you can blame it on bad luck. When it happens a third or fourth time however (as it’s happened to us in 4 of the last 5 seasons), then I start to question the conditioning of this team......or if the team as a whole is too small and simply can’t handle the physical grind?

AND THAT.....would be a justification used for keeping Gudds

There are teams that initiate (Ducks, Bruins, TO, Flames, Jets) Teams that retaliate (Flyers, Oilers, Kings, Hawks)

and then there are teams that do neither (Canucks, Red Wings, Buffalo)

Part of the success early this year was the presence of Gudds and Dorset (Stecher taking boxing this summer, then fighting) It made a BIG difference

When REGULAR players are tough, it's night and day

And no, this doesn't mean Guds doesn't suck, he does

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
AND THAT.....would be a justification used for keeping Gudds

There are teams that initiate (Ducks, Bruins, TO, Flames, Jets) Teams that retaliate (Flyers, Oilers, Kings, Hawks)

and then there are teams that do neither (Canucks, Red Wings, Buffalo)

Part of the success early this year was the presence of Gudds and Dorset (Stecher taking boxing this summer, then fighting) It made a BIG difference

When REGULAR players are tough, it's night and day

And no, this doesn't mean Guds doesn't suck, he does

This post is a god send.

I couldn’t agree more. Please feel free to post that on the Canucks section of this site.

So many times, people say stuff to me like, “Oh, well I don’t see teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh having knuckle draggers on their team and they seem to be doing just fine.”

If the Canucks had a team full of Bo Horvat’s (I.e. guys that hardly ever fight but aren’t going to be pushed around, know how to stand up for themselves, and are built like a tree stump), then I wouldn’t care at all if we had guys that could throw down.

The truth of the matter however is that we’ve got guys like the twins, Baertschi, Stecher, Hutton, Granlund, etc., that are about as aggressive as a lamb.

I just shutter to think about what teams will do to guys like Boeser, Petterrsson, Juolevi, etc, in the playoffs one day if we don’t have a few guys that can set opponents straight.

Chris Pronger. Dustin Byfiglien. Brad Marchand. Shawn Thornton. Dustin Brown. Michael Ferland.

The names will change but the problem will not.

Luongo will continue to smell Byfuglien’s bum in the crease. Marchand will continue to punch the twins in the face. Ferland will continue to lay the hammer on guys like Tanev, Edler, and Bieksa. Pronger will continue to lacerate Kesler’s calf.

Getting rid of guys like Gudbranson is not a luxury the Canucks can afford in my opinion.....unless you find an adequate replacement.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
This post is a god send.

I couldn’t agree more. Please feel free to post that on the Canucks section of this site.

So many times, people say stuff to me like, “Oh, well I don’t see teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh having knuckle draggers on their team and they seem to be doing just fine.”

If the Canucks had a team full of Bo Horvat’s (I.e. guys that hardly ever fight but aren’t going to be pushed around, know how to stand up for themselves, and are built like a tree stump), then I wouldn’t care at all if we had guys that could throw down.

The truth of the matter however is that we’ve got guys like the twins, Baertschi, Stecher, Hutton, Granlund, etc., that are about as aggressive as a lamb.

I just shutter to think about what teams will do to guys like Boeser, Petterrsson, Juolevi, etc, in the playoffs one day if we don’t have a few guys that can set opponents straight.

Chris Pronger. Dustin Byfiglien. Brad Marchand. Shawn Thornton. Dustin Brown. Michael Ferland.

Luongo will continue to smell Byfuglien’s bum in the crease. Marchand will continue to punch the twins in the face. Ferland will continue to lay the hammer on guys like Tanev, Edler, and Bieksa. Pronger will continue to lacerate Kesler’s calf.

Getting rid of guys like Gudbranson is not a luxury the Canucks can afford in my opinion.....unless you find an adequate replacement.
Very well said! The Blues are having similar problems.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
I think a number of younger fans (be it on here, other sites, offline, etc.) get excited when they play NHL for their PS4’s and get all “giddy” when their collection of 4.5 green star prospects turn into a bunch of Geordie Howe’s 2-3 seasons later.

I think that’s why many of the younger fans are so oblivious to the concept of “culture” and “mentor ship” and building up prospects slowly so that they aren’t thrown to the wolves in roles they are too green for.

I agree with you that the Canucks need to improve the right side, although I think Gudbranson is absolutely terrible and will be over paid on his next contract.

I normally don't get upset over spelling, but I have to say something in this case. You're making fun of younger fans on here, yet you misspelled Gordie Howe.

I realize this is probably an autocorrect issue. Still, it looks bad when you make fun of younger fans, yet you get the greatest old time hockey players name wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad