OT: GSP vs Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The UFC sucks because they need mouthpieces like Diaz to help promote a main event fight. I think the talent is watered down and the fights are all just overhyped.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The UFC sucks because they need mouthpieces like Diaz to help promote a main event fight. I think the talent is watered down and the fights are all just overhyped.

It's not what it used to be. I really only tune in because I get the PPV's free on my dish, and I only tune in when one of Silva, Jones, or GSP are fighting.

I still watch a bunch of the old UFC's. Those were the days, although it was tough watching a guy get repeatedly punched in the dick.... lol

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
1.5 million$ off UFC 154

So I'm guessing about the same for Diaz.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...rticles/georges-stpierre-5-million-ufc-fight/

UFC top fighters really don't make nearly as much as top boxers do.

We honestly dont know how much he made.

1. We dont know what GSP's base salary is. The last time he fought in a state that releases those numbers was when he fought Alves in July 2009. At that time he was a 200k/200k (show / win). Now for base salaries, the UFC normally doesnt go higher than 400k, because of PPV bonuses + backroom bonuses.

2. Back room bonuses. They do exist. The UFC gave Chuck Liddell $1 million after I believe knocking out Babalu. Once again we have no idea how much potentially he could be getting.

3. PPV's. He probably has the largest PPV cut in the UFC. The UFC also doesnt release PPV numbers, and while there are solid estimates, we have seen cases where estimates are proven to be off (UFC 141).

4. Sponsors. GSP is sponsored by Under Armour, Coke, Gatorade, Bacardi plus traditional UFC sponsors like Affliction

Ultimately the MMA business is still growing and because of that its hard to find the truth for what these guys make.

Toronto

Apr 8, 2007
Umm,I love Anderson Silva and all(he's my favorite fighter) but did you WATCH his fights vs Maia,Cote,Sonnen,Leites,and Sonnen's first fight? lol Terrible fights

Anyways, Diaz is a punk. Disliked that guy for years. Just too cocky for a guy who hasn't beaten the best guys in his division. All his losses come to top level competition, Condit,Sherk,Sanchez. His biggest wins were Zaromskis and an overrated BJ Penn. He beat up on a bunch of lesser known fighters who would obviously lose and over the hill guys. He was making excuses before the fight even began because he knew he was going to lose. He can barely ever back up the **** he spits from that hole he calls a mouth. Glad he lost and maybe he wont fail a test for once

anderson has finishes gaysp can only dream of.

Anderson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gsp

Toronto

Apr 8, 2007
To be a long standing champion you have to fight a "boring" style. Can't just go in and trade you take too much damage and assume too much risk, even if you are the better fighter. Gsp vs Matt Serra ex.

anderson, aldo, jones, chuck all say hi

If he [GSP] wasnt canadian most of you would hate him

Last edited by a moderator:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

those guys all have the natural power that GSP just doesn't have. they can knock guys out with 1 or 2 shots GSP can't and therefore needs to employ great game plans to beat fighters. what GSP does by completely dominating is opponents are just as impressive as those guys, in arguably the toughest division in the UFC.

and btw GSP is the biggest UFC draw even outside of Canada so I'm not sure why you would make that last comment

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Some folks like the technical aspect of MMA, not just brainless goofs trying to dummy each other.

Those that do, tend to like a technical master like GSP.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
There's nothing masterful about best hugging a dude for half the fight not letting him fight & superman punching the whole time standing up. Gaysp is a lame champ, champions shouldn't have judges make that call, they should leave no doubt. He's a wonderful wrestler but ill be damned if he's a great champ. He uses his grappling to completely negate his opponents ability to do anything. Quit frankly I ws hoping Diaz would knock him out, and will be hoping that Hendricks does next time.

Armstrong9

Mar 3, 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
There's nothing masterful about best hugging a dude for half the fight not letting him fight & superman punching the whole time standing up. Gaysp is a lame champ, champions shouldn't have judges make that call, they should leave no doubt. He's a wonderful wrestler but ill be damned if he's a great champ. He uses his grappling to completely negate his opponents ability to do anything. Quit frankly I ws hoping Diaz would knock him out, and will be hoping that Hendricks does next time.

this is just ignorant.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, totally dominating through grappling, and negating an opponent's ability to do what he does best, is totally stupid. Why would anyone want to do that?

I needed a laugh today, so thanks for that.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, totally dominating through grappling, and negating an opponent's ability to do what he does best, is totally stupid. Why would anyone want to do that?

I needed a laugh today, so thanks for that.
Because the name of the company is Ultimate Fighting championship, and there's nothing "ultimate" or "fighting" about bear hugging half the time and standing back sissy slapping the rest. Points fighting is for Olympic wrestling and that just got the boot from the Olympics, this is entertainment and frankly unless your a die hard UFC meat head..... He's not entertaining. He's scared in the octagon to finish a fight by taking a chance or being aggressive, you can see it every time ever since Matt Serra slapped him around.. If he wasn't Canadian people wouldn't like him nearly as much.

BayStreetBullies*

Are you trolling, or are you really that ignorant? Everytime GSP took down Diaz, it was the latter who resorted to grappling and hugging. GSP took the fight to him repeatedly, Diaz had no answer.

BayStreetBullies*

Because the name of the company is Ultimate Fighting championship, and there's nothing "ultimate" or "fighting" about bear hugging half the time and standing back sissy slapping the rest.

Yep, Diaz sure got sissy slapped alright. :laugh:

Nick-Diaz-damage-02.jpg

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
GSP's fights have become predictable and boring. Say what you want, but his legacy will always be tainted by that fact he doesn't finish his opponents. And according to him, he defines his career based on legacy now.

Diaz was never a threat to his title, Hendricks presents a better chance. Not only because he has knockout power and seemingly, superior striking, but because he won't be a push-over when it comes to fighting off his back and/or taking GSP down himself.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Because the name of the company is Ultimate Fighting championship, and there's nothing "ultimate" or "fighting" about bear hugging half the time and standing back sissy slapping the rest. Points fighting is for Olympic wrestling and that just got the boot from the Olympics, this is entertainment and frankly unless your a die hard UFC meat head..... He's not entertaining. He's scared in the octagon to finish a fight by taking a chance or being aggressive, you can see it every time ever since Matt Serra slapped him around.. If he wasn't Canadian people wouldn't like him nearly as much.

Uhhhh, no. You can think what you want, but GSP ULTIMATELY bossed Diaz around the octagon last night, whether you like his style or not.

You can get your ass kicked in a lot of ways, and Diaz found that out. Not to mention, even if GSP hadn't dominated the way he did, the win was inevitable. Diaz refused to defend, and would've gotten caught witha kick or punch to put him out anyways. He got mauled, plain and simple.

I'm sorry that real tough guys like youself don't think dominating the body, and controlling your opponent's ability to fight his fight, are worthy of belts. But then again, that's probably why you're here, and not celebrating being on last night's card, right?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
And this "if he wasn't Canadian, you guys wouldn't even like him" is pure garbage.

Some people like wrestling, technical fighting, and respectful guys like GSP. It's hard not to like a guy that lets his dominating you do his talking. It's hard to have such hate for a guy that shakes hands, pats on the shoulder, and gives you respect after a fight, when you did nothing to deserve any of it, with the amount of **** talking that went on.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

I respectfully disagree with your opinion, but you are entitled to it. However, regarding the bolded, do you remember what GSP did to Serra in their rematch? Let me remind you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge--5B3OMq0

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

Is that you Nate? or maybe Nick? You sound off like you have some kind of allegiance to Diaz, or is it cause both of you guys are "Gangster" (*REPRESENT*)? Diaz is pretty much one dimensional and lacks the hand speed and power to KTFO most boxers. And before you start some big list of all Diaz's wins, remember the majority of those clowns were from Strikeforce.
anderson has finishes gaysp can only dream of.

Anderson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gsp

I'm starting to think that you "two" guys are the same person, seriously. Two accounts would make it easier for you to return when you get banned. Silva versus anyone is IMO a mismatch because Silva and most of the Brazilians have been fighting in different degrees for their lives since they were young kids. I'm not talking about training but street fighting. You don't believe me then watch City of God to shed some light on their plight.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Is that you Nate? or maybe Nick? You sound off like you have some kind of allegiance to Diaz, or is it cause both of you guys are "Gangster" (*REPRESENT*)? Diaz is pretty much one dimensional and lacks the hand speed and power to KTFO most boxers. And before you start some big list of all Diaz's wins, remember the majority of those clowns were from Strikeforce.

I'm starting to think that you "two" guys are the same person, seriously. Two accounts would make it easier for you to return when you get banned. Silva versus anyone is IMO a mismatch because Silva and most of the Brazilians have been fighting in different degrees for their lives since they were young kids. I'm not talking about training but street fighting. You don't believe me then watch City of God to shed some light on their plight.

Definately not the same person, but good theory! Maybe there's more than one person who sees thru the crap and hype. I'm not a nick or Nate Diaz fan, nor am I definately "gangster" I just think when you pay upwards of $50-60 for a ppv or go to bar and spend more one should expect more than two men rolling amongst one another. I have an easy solution.... Make take downs timed somehow, like if you don't do anything then break, stand up and start over. Maybe I'm just a casual fan who doesn't care enough to get technical but it's just my observation after seeing a bunch of Gsp fights compared to others.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Definately not the same person, but good theory! Maybe there's more than one person who sees thru the crap and hype. I'm not a nick or Nate Diaz fan, nor am I definately "gangster" I just think when you pay upwards of $50-60 for a ppv or go to bar and spend more one should expect more than two men rolling amongst one another. I have an easy solution.... Make take downs timed somehow, like if you don't do anything then break, stand up and start over. Maybe I'm just a casual fan who doesn't care enough to get technical but it's just my observation after seeing a bunch of Gsp fights compared to others.

Maybe don't pay for the PPV's that he's involved in, or.... just choose not to go to a bar to watch his fights?

I don't know. You can get lots of low-level boxing outside of bars on a saturday night, why would you waste your time paying to watch actual fighters do what they do, when it's clear you really only like the simple, brutish part of it. You can get that for free on the sidewalk.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
And this "if he wasn't Canadian, you guys wouldn't even like him" is pure garbage.

Some people like wrestling, technical fighting, and respectful guys like GSP. It's hard not to like a guy that lets his dominating you do his talking. It's hard to have such hate for a guy that shakes hands, pats on the shoulder, and gives you respect after a fight, when you did nothing to deserve any of it, with the amount of **** talking that went on.

This.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

Guys like you should stick to watching WWE wrestling. With those PPVs, you get to see Steel chairs, tables, ladders, hell even sledgehammers! That's how a fight is supposed to be after all, **** all this "skill" and "technique" that MMA has. All that matters is pleasing the guys who support MMA by buying all those Tapout and Affliction T-shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad