World Cup: Group F: South Korea vs. Germany, Mexico vs. Sweden; 6/27/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Korea is a powerful team that just lacks skill in defense. Son's a world-class player, and Manchester United is trying to acquire him in every way they can. Germany, of course, is a top-class team, but expect Korea's underdog performance against them.

Yes, it's recent news, so full stories haven't been released. Son is considered one of the top forwards. You have to be kidding me.

It's not a rumour.

You were saying that United are trying to sign Son, acting really condescending towards us, saying that it was more than just a rumour.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
You're grasping at straws here. And if anyone is acting like a know-it-all it is you.

Rumours get labeled as news all the time. I don't see how what you have been referencing is particularly credible.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You're grasping at straws here. And if anyone is acting like a know-it-all it is you.

Rumours get labeled as news all the time. I don't see how what you have been referencing is particularly credible.

:D Did you even bother to read the article? If you did, you'd know it's really happening.
Is there a reason you didn't quote me? Perhaps, you're too scared to admit your flaws? I'll just leave at that. ;)

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
:D Did you even bother to read the article? If you did, you'd know it's really happening.
Is there a reason you didn't quote me? Perhaps, you're too scared to admit your flaws? I'll just leave at that. ;)

I translated the article best I could. Didn't get much insight. And even if it actually were to happen later (which I really doubt), as of right now we can't call it anything more than a rumour.

I don't really feel like discussing this any further because you are acting like a fool.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I translated the article best I could. Didn't get much insight. And even if it actually were to happen later (which I really doubt), as of right now we can't call it anything more than a rumour.

I don't really feel like discussing this any further because you are acting like a fool.

Well, I don't think you translated it properly, to be frank with you. Also, I think what you wrote above is a stupid opinion.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Not a big surprise Germany are out. Having watched the Mexico match and seeing some of the Sweden match, the latter being a result they didn't deserve from what I saw and have read, they didn't look as good as advertised. Granted it was four years ago, but I still think their performance against Brazil in the last World Cup was overrated on this forum. Anyway, I'm not here to gloat or celebrate like some. In fact I still remember 2002, so I'm not a fan of South Korea one way or the other. I also like Hummels. Of course it is nice to see God's midfield gift to football assist another goal.

Sweden got screwed by the refs in the first half, and got a no call on a clear penalty / red card on Boateng. In that way Germany was a bit undeserving of the win, but APART from that, I dont think it was underserving, Sweden should have been able to keep the 1-1 score, with one man up. Germany scored a nice goal instead, and well...

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Sweden got screwed by the refs in the first half, and got a no call on a clear penalty / red card on Boateng. In that way Germany was a bit undeserving of the win, but APART from that, I dont think it was underserving, Sweden should have been able to keep the 1-1 score, with one man up. Germany scored a nice goal instead, and well...

Their offense has gotten slow, as of late.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
We lost to Germany 2-1 in the quarters, we felt we outplayed them and got robbed by the ref (we still do, and I'm speaking for every Croat who watched that game lol...).
That said, Matthias Sammer was the best player of tournament and in that game. What a player.
You did outplay us.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I completely agree with you. Looking back I can only shake my head at Beckenbauer saying in 1990 that we can't be beaten for years. Actually, thinking back, even at that time I was shocked he would say something like that..

I think his point was related to adding the players of the DDR post-reunification. Of course, it was still a bit silly because the only player from that pool who made a significant impact in the 90s was Sammer, but obviously there was a good bit of post-World Cup arrogance there.

There was actually a similar article in the Sport Bild just after the 2014 World Cup victory. I forgot the exact header but it said something like "How Germany Can Dominate For Years To Come". I was shaking my head at it even then.

I remember around 2011-13 there was so much hype about the 'next generation' of stars, and how Germany was just so awesome at talent development now. That was based on guys like Götze, Reus, Draxler..notice how it's 6-7 years later and people still talk about them as the 'next generation' even though they're no longer youngsters. What people will discover over the next months of inquiriesis that German production of elite players has once again dried up a bit since then. There are of course talented players, but you can't count on them to all become world class players. It's a bit cyclical naturally..because the already existing crop of established stars occupy spots and thus limit the opportunities for the younger players.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the German team go off a cliff once the late 00s generation starts disappearing (and it may already have begun in this World Cup) i.e. the likes of Özil, Müller, Boateng, Hummels, Neuer, Khedira, Kroos.

Reactions: Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I think his point was related to adding the players of the DDR post-reunification. Of course, it was still a bit silly because the only player from that pool who made a significant impact in the 90s was Sammer, but obviously there was a good bit of post-World Cup arrogance there.

There was actually a similar article in the Sport Bild just after the 2014 World Cup victory. I forgot the exact header but it said something like "How Germany Can Dominate For Years To Come". I was shaking my head at it even then.

I remember around 2011-13 there was so much hype about the 'next generation' of stars, and how Germany was just so awesome at talent development now. That was based on guys like Götze, Reus, Draxler..notice how it's 6-7 years later and people still talk about them as the 'next generation' even though they're no longer youngsters. What people will discover over the next months of inquiriesis that German production of elite players has once again dried up a bit since then. There are of course talented players, but you can't count on them to all become world class players. It's a bit cyclical naturally..because the already existing crop of established stars occupy spots and thus limit the opportunities for the younger players.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the German team go off a cliff once the late 00s generation starts disappearing (and it may already have begun in this World Cup) i.e. the likes of Özil, Müller, Boateng, Hummels, Neuer, Khedira, Kroos.
Yes, it was about the unification of the teams.
And that is one of the reasons I don't like SportBild. It's still Bild. They are quite shameful at times.
Completely agreed on the bolded. I don't see the quality of the early 10s.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There was always a sense that Germany would succeed on the strength of their team mentality as opposed to the simple sum of their individual parts.

What was striking about this incarnation of the team was that it was the complete opposite.

They looked worse than their talent level would suggest.

It flies in the face of the character of the team for pretty much my entire lifetime.

Reactions: Eisen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gotze & Reus are still part of the “next generation”? The f*** are you talking about?

The “next generation” has been the 95ers & 96ers since the euro preparations, and soon we’ll be talking about the 2000ers & 2001ers as well...not the guys who were born in the early 90s

What a weird comment

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There was always a sense that Germany would succeed on the strength of their team mentality as opposed to the simple sum of their individual parts.

What was striking about this incarnation of the team was that it was the complete opposite.

They looked worse than their talent level would suggest.

It flies in the face of the character of the team for pretty much my entire lifetime.

The team played with 11 men for less than a half at this tourney. The rest of the time they played a man down because Draxler or Khedira was on the pitch.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The only reason Reus was sort of included is because it was his first major tournament due to all of his injury history.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Gotze & Reus are still part of the “next generation”? The **** are you talking about?

The “next generation” has been the 95ers & 96ers for a few years now, and soon we’ll be talking about the 2000ers & on...not the guys who are in their late 20s.

What a weird comment

The point is that none of those guys ever established themselves as fixtures in the national team. Guys like Reus and Draxler are still seen as "newbies" in national team terms, while Götze is now seen as a write-off (maybe unfairly but thats how his career has gone). And quite possibly a national team that would be built around those guys wouldn't be good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad