World Cup: Group F: South Korea vs. Germany, Mexico vs. Sweden; 6/27/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All four teams are still alive, which shocks me.

South Korea needs to beat Germany and for Mexico to beat Sweden in order for them to have a chance. It will come down to GD if that happens.

Mexico advances with a win or draw and maybe even with a loss.

Germany and Sweden need to worry about winning their own games. They also need to win by more than the other just to be on the safe side.

The only combination that can't happen in South Korea and Sweden. It is impossible for both to advance.

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
Sweden should only have to win to go through, result does not matter aslong as it's a victory. Sweden will tie Mexicos GD with a one goal victory and therefore pass them in the table because they won between them. Many goals might get them first place though.

EDIT: Nvm what I just wrote. What happens if Sweden win over Mexico with 1-0 and Germany beat South korea with 1-0. Then we have three teams, with same GD and all beaten each other? Highest FIFA rank? Coin Toss?

EDIT: I realized they seem to make a new table between the three teams in that case and then Mexico will be the losers because of least scored goals in that scenario so yes, Sweden just have to win to go through.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Rudy had surgery and may be able to play with a mask on. This is crucial IMO, as he's the only player capable of being an effective DM if Low continues with a 4-2-3-1. A three man back line might not be preferable with Boateng out, as Sule-Hummels-Rudiger is a bit shaky to me. I think Germany should go with a 4-3-3 against S Korea using Gundogan and maybe Goretska in mid, and seriously consider a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 if they make the round of 16 with all hands on deck, depending on who the opponent is.

Anyway, for this next match there are no excuses. They control their destiny and should win by 2 goals regardless of who can play. Nobody to blame if they can't accomplish that.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I can only guess about Mexico vs Sweden, but I feel slightly as if Sweden should progress. The match will justly decide who moves on, and maybe Sweden can surprise themselves if they're forced to attack.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No doubt against Messi FC.

5 Messi - 6 Muller.

Nah, Messi will be too tired from dragging you there and will let Dybala take his place for that match in a ceremonial passing of the torch as he announces he's taking a hiatus from the NT until the Copa.

After which Dybala will score 5 goals to Müller's 6 to finish the tourney ahead of Messi in the golden boot race. Prompting the CR7 fanboys to come out of the woodwork with how Lionel is such a beta that he couldn't even make it work with the (suddenly-)alpha Dybala.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Nah, Messi will be too tired from dragging you there and will let Dybala take his place for that match in a ceremonial passing of the torch as he announces he's taking a hiatus from the NT until the Copa.

After which Dybala will score 5 goals to Müller's 6 to finish the tourney ahead of Messi in the golden boot race. Prompting the CR7 fanboys to come out of the woodwork with how Lionel is such a beta that he couldn't even make it work with the (suddenly-)alpha Dybala.

I'm strangely okay with this outcome. It's a deal.

Argentina get to do way better than I expected. Dybala gets to show the world what they're sleeping on. (trust me they sleeping) and we continue our great tradition of being Germany's bitches. It's really how does Micheal call it? Win win win?

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kicker is guessing that Khedira & Özil are back in, although I dunno wtf Khedira would ever see the field for the NT again

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
My dream scenario:

Sweden wins, Germany wins.
Germany #1 seed, Sweden #2.

Not very likely, I don't see Sweden beating Mexico.
Realistically, Mexico #1, Germany #2, and unless Brazil fails in their game vs Serbia, Brazil-Germany in the 2nd round. o_O

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
My dream scenario:

Sweden wins, Germany wins.
Germany #1 seed, Sweden #2.

Not very likely, I don't see Sweden beating Mexico.
Realistically, Mexico #1, Germany #2, and unless Brazil fails in their game vs Serbia, Brazil-Germany in the 2nd round. o_O

Mexico #1, and South Korea #2 for me. Korea seems to shine in desperate situations.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
My only hope for this match is that we get Khedira, thus making the german midfield even slower. Germany is vulnerable on the counter, hopefully Son can get free a few times...

Ki sucks defensively, but he was the only competent midfielder left with the ball at his feet.

I don't even think I have the energy to be mad anymore, especially considering that now a majority of the starting lineup that I expected for this WC are injured.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yes, that is the plan.
I honestly doubt that Khedira plays. It would create the same problem that we had against Mexico. We wanted to have more cohesion between the midfield and the defenders. I have no idea how he plays it though. Jogi is good for a surprise.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I honestly doubt that Khedira plays. It would create the same problem that we had against Mexico. We wanted to have more cohesion between the midfield and the defenders. I have no idea how he plays it though. Jogi is good for a surprise.
Maybe, they'll start Weigl this game?

Reactions: cgf

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Probably won't be a back three, so I expect Kroos-Gunogan-Khedira/Goretska. My suspicion is that recent praise of Goretska's performance in camp by an asst coach is a hint that he'll start. Regardless of who it is, they simply have to commit to playing deep behind Kroos and supporting the CBs. I'd rather guess at Goretska's ability than take what I know about Khedira. Different from the first two matches is that S Korea have to attack, so they'll be vulnerable from start to finish, unlike Mexico and Sweden. Should be entertaining no matter what the score line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad