World Cup: Group F: South Korea vs. Germany, Mexico vs. Sweden; 6/27/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Will Löw get another manager job after he gets fired/quits? Well, maybe like the last huge failure Jupp Derwall, he gets a gig in Turkey or NT's of some Middle Eastern countries.

As for players, apart from neuer, I don't think many of the 2014 champions will feature for Germany NT any more.

If he's smart, he'll resign.

Have some dignity.

In fact, resign now. Get it over with.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
We may have very different definitions of "high level" scoring chances. The number of unforced giveaways easily outweighed his "creation" of said chances. He was crap. I'll probably give you that he wasn't as crap as Müller today, but that's about it.

Maybe if your definition is limited to setting up tap-ins, then yes.

1) 50' high-level chance to Werner after playing a beautiful 1-2 with Reus.
2) 86' high-level chance to Hummels which was an open header 7 yards from goal.

Also had that opportunity that he laid off to Kroos and Tony proceeded to shoot it wide straight into Goretzka.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I see the seven they got in their own backyard still hurts. Grace in defeat! 4 years later...

To be fair, what goes around comes around. Ideally you show grace in defeat but more often than not Germans and German media outlet are very quick to laugh at other teams or nations misfortune. Is it really a surprise here that it's coming back around to the Germans? There are sore losers, then there are sore winners. There is a reason why team Germany is disliked by many around the world and it isn't just because of jealousy/success.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Werner could have single-handedly changed the outcome of this tournament for Germany but he blew chances after chances after chances in both defeats.

Yeah, he was very poor. He was kept under wraps pretty well by a single defender virtually every time he had a 1 on 1 situation.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Maybe if your definition is limited to setting up tap-ins, then yes.

1) 50' high-level chance to Werner after playing a beautiful 1-2 with Reus.
2) 86' high-level chance to Hummels which was an open header 7 yards from goal.

Also had that opportunity that he laid off to Kroos and Tony proceeded to shoot it wide straight into Goretzka.

Alright, he did help create that Werner chance pretty nicely, fair enough. I guess it's fair enough to count that as a high-level chance. A header like that isn't really a high-level chance on an average chip/cross, IMO. He gave away so many more possessions than he furthered remotely like that. In that kind of position, on a team with that kind of possession, that type of end result just isn't remotely good enough.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Werner and Reus were totally invisible. Reus was so uninvolved I almost forgot he was playing. Was Ozil at his best? No, but he was not the problem
Just to reiterate that: I'm not saying Özil was the problem. The entire team (minus Süle, maybe Neuer) was. But he was still bad and wouldn't deserve to escape criticism, either.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Imagine Mexico losing 3-0 and still qualifying over the reigning champion and number one ranked country in the world.

Holy shit I did not see this coming for a second. I was guessing it would be Germany going in as the leader with Mexico in tow.

Huge result for South Korea.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
At least Jogi Low will be fired, awful inept slow coach. He has one of the best sides in the world playing super-slow football but doesn't even bother to get them to do any proper movement off the ball, just shitty crosses. I won't get into the lineup selections (they weren't that bad today outside of Khedira starting and having Ozil start on the wing instead of middle which constantly forced Werner to come out wide). Just the way he sets up his team tactically to play a horizontal instead of vertical game is wrong, like he's missing some basic fundamental that coaches should be able to.

f*** Joachim Low. He's cost this German team Euro 2016 and probably cost them World Cup 2018.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Imagine Mexico losing 3-0 and still qualifying over the reigning champion and number one ranked country in the world.

Holy **** I did not see this coming for a second. I was guessing it would be Germany going in as the leader with Mexico in tow.

Huge result for South Korea.

That's the best part, IMO. Even with their win it wasn't enough to get out of the group stage.....but it was enough to finish ahead of the defending champions.

I'm still hoping Japan makes it through, just to give Asia a sliver of hope that they won't go home empty-handed here. :laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
At least Jogi Low will be fired, awful inept slow coach. He has one of the best sides in the world playing super-slow football but doesn't even bother to get them to do any proper movement off the ball, just ****ty crosses. I won't get into the lineup selections (they weren't that bad today outside of Khedira starting and having Ozil start on the wing instead of middle which constantly forced Werner to come out wide). Just the way he sets up his team tactically to play a horizontal instead of vertical game is wrong, like he's missing some basic fundamental that coaches should be able to.

**** Joachim Low. He's cost this German team Euro 2016 and probably cost them World Cup 2018.

Those dame Latins cheated again.

@John Pedro

Reactions: John Pedro

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's the best part, IMO. Even with their win it wasn't enough to get out of the group stage.....but it was enough to finish ahead of the defending champions.

I'm still hoping Japan makes it through, just to give Asia a sliver of hope that they won't go home empty-handed here. :laugh:
I think that's as much as you can hope to achieve if you fail to qualify for the group stage. If it had been the US that had been in this position I'd be pretty proud of the achievement. Should give South Korea the confidence to go forward with their development to strive for higher heights in the next tournament.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
At least Jogi Low will be fired, awful inept slow coach. He has one of the best sides in the world playing super-slow football but doesn't even bother to get them to do any proper movement off the ball, just ****ty crosses. I won't get into the lineup selections (they weren't that bad today outside of Khedira starting and having Ozil start on the wing instead of middle which constantly forced Werner to come out wide). Just the way he sets up his team tactically to play a horizontal instead of vertical game is wrong, like he's missing some basic fundamental that coaches should be able to.

**** Joachim Low. He's cost this German team Euro 2016 and probably cost them World Cup 2018.

I think the lineup was bad today, How he can play a double 6, in a game against Korea, Germany has to win?
Hope this was Löws last tournament. To bad the next generation isnt that strong.
Was in Czech after the game. Even there its a big theme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad