World Cup: Group F: South Korea vs. Germany, Mexico vs. Sweden; 6/27/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Mesut created 7 chances today, most of any player in a world cup game so far. Sorry he cannot finish the chances that he creates.
Germany didn't have 7 "chances" by any reasonable measure, so, neat stat.

Put together a video of the passes he connected on to create those "chances" and a video of passes he failed. It's not going to be pretty. Everyone could see this. Özil, Müller, Reus, Werner, they were all catastrophic, with nothing much between them, virtually all tournament. Germany's best performance was against Sweden, with Özil off the pitch.

He's not to be singled out for this failure, like we know German racists will, but he doesn't deserve any degree of absolution, either. Absolutely laughable.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
no backbone, no intangibles, no leader... i dont even know who the captain of germany was.

schweinsteiger, klose, lahm, höwedes, podolski, löw was not able to replace them... all 3 games were badly played.

if you go with the younger squad make at least sure they have that energy and speed advantage... they played like chicken... the collective mind was somewhere else. maybe the trouble before the tournament got them scared to risk a bad play. its like they dont need a trainer in a classical sense but more a guy who is like a personal relation type... who is going to deflect a lot of fan hate... if that was the reason for that mess.

(edit: i noticed there are way more posts on german games... is that because there are a lot of users from germany or just guys who like the nt which would be odd)

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
G
Considering that this was the fourth time (out of the last five world cups) where a previous champion didn't qualify out of the group stage, there's definitely something to it. Teams win at their peak, and then they falter. Germany needs fresh blood.
France would be an exception. 2002 was actually the peak for many of the players on the squad. They were undone by Zidane's injury.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And that's the point some of us are trying to make.

The fact is the German team was crap but some people here still need to put Ozil's name out there as if he's the one that let the two goals in.

He's a number 10 who created chances that weren't finished off by the other players.

He was crap in that first game and better in this one.

Unfortunately, virtually everyone was garbage in this one so it was hard to notice.

Brandt was like the only good player in the tournament in his 15 or 20 minutes of play. ;)

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Breaking: You don't need to act like a snob hipster after someone produces at least some stats to back up an opinion. Not talking about you but about the guy that pretends he knows everything from soccer to the Kosovo war.
Honestly, you could have included me in that, because my last post certainly was snob as ****. That said, this needs to be repeated:

Before today, Müller had the most key passes for Germany and was near the lead of the tournament in that regard. He was **** before today, too. It's a worthless stat.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Will Löw get another manager job after he gets fired/quits? Well, maybe like the last huge failure Jupp Derwall, he gets a gig in Turkey or NT's of some Middle Eastern countries.

As for players, apart from neuer, I don't think many of the 2014 champions will feature for Germany NT any more.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Germany didn't have 7 "chances" by any reasonable measure, so, neat stat.

Put together a video of the passes he connected on to create those "chances" and a video of passes he failed. It's not going to be pretty. Everyone could see this. Özil, Müller, Reus, Werner, they were all catastrophic, with nothing much between them, virtually all tournament. Germany's best performance was against Sweden, with Özil off the pitch.

He's not to be singled out for this failure, like we know German racists will, but he doesn't deserve any degree of absolution, either. Absolutely laughable.

It's not a perfect stat, but it's not meaningless either. I don't have the computer editing skills to actually put together such a video, but if you watched the game you'd know he created Germany's best 2 chances. Werner and Hummels wasted them.

Ozil had a pedestrian first game by his standards, but he was excellent today. He wasn't nearly the liability that Muller, Khedira, Draxler, and a few others were in the world cup.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
no backbone, no intangibles, no leader... i dont even know who the captain of germany was.

schweinsteiger, klose, lahm, höwedes, podolski, löw was not able to replace them... all 3 games were badly played.

if you go with the younger squad make at least sure they have that energy and speed advantage... they played like chicken... the collective mind was somewhere else. maybe the trouble before the tournament got them scared to risk a bad play. its like they dont need a trainer in a classical sense but more a guy who is like a personal relation type... who is going to deflect a lot of fan hate... if that was the reason for that mess.

(edit: i noticed there are way more posts on german games... is that because there are a lot of users from germany or just guys who like the nt which would be odd)

1. Re: the bolded, don't make me laugh. Howedes and Podolski (especially Podolski) are examples of Low's historic stupidity, not something to aspire to.
2. The issue with this German squad was absolutely not that they went with the "younger squad", it's the absolute opposite. Intense over-loyalty to the lads who won four years ago was the problem. Sticking with them even when they looked like trash. Sticking with Muller, sticking with Khedira, ignoring some of the very talented younger generation even when they proved their qualities (looking at Brandt, specifically).

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Ozil had a pedestrian first game by his standards, but he was excellent today.

Yeah, as respectfully as I can attempt to deliver that line right now, but there's no discussion to be had here. The number of balls he lost/passes he missed >>> the number of low-level scoring chances he "created".

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
1. Re: the bolded, don't make me laugh. Howedes and Podolski (especially Podolski) are examples of Low's historic stupidity, not something to aspire to.
2. The issue with this German squad was absolutely not that they went with the "younger squad", it's the absolute opposite. Intense over-loyalty to the lads who won four years ago was the problem. Sticking with them even when they looked like trash. Sticking with Muller, sticking with Khedira, ignoring some of the very talented younger generation even when they proved their qualities (looking at Brandt, specifically).
Looking back, leaving a guy like Sane at home when this squad didn't seem to have a single guy capable of winning a 1-on-1 at a decent rate, also is a firing-worthy offense for Löw. He got the benefit of the doubt when it was announced, but, by god, how bad does this look now?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
G

France would be an exception. 2002 was actually the peak for many of the players on the squad. They were undone by Zidane's injury.

Wasn't there a mutiny on the team that year as well? I seem to recall some unrest between the players and the coach, similar to what was reported in Argentina this year.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Yeah, as respectfully as I can attempt to deliver that line right now, but there's no discussion to be had here. The number of balls he lost/passes he missed >>> the number of low-level scoring chances he "created".

He literally created 2 high-level scoring chances that were missed. I don't know how you can argue against that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
hahahahahaha

If Jogi hasn't already been fired then I'll get mad, otherwise, all I can say is it is about damn time. This moron eliminated us in 3 of the past 4 tourneys through massive incompetence...oh and Khedira, Draxler & Müller better have retired after that match or I might need to pull a Tonya Harding on the three of them right before the Euros.

I was still hoping that maybe the players would just mutiny and pick their own squad so we could go on to win it all again despite the coach...like we did in 2014...but in the end that would've just kept Jogi in the job for even longer, and he should've been fired 6 years ago. It's a shock that we're out in the groupstages but with what a complete f***ing moron jogi is, it's ultimately not surprising that relying on Boateng & Ozil to be our entire midfield on their own didn't work. We played the first hour today a man down, and started against mexico 9 on 11.

Oh well, at least Mesut was magnificent, even if he would never have to play the 6 under a competent coach...hopefully he doesn't retire to...we looked good despite being a man down, at least before we left the midfield & all of our build up entirely to Özil & long cross field balls to the wings, and there's so much young talent that should've made this team that any even semi-competent coach will have us back to dominating.

A pity we never got to see what this team could look like if they ever played with 11 players at this tourney.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh well, at least Mesut was magnificent, even if he would never have to play the 6 under a competent coach...hopefully he doesn't retire to...we looked good despite being a man down, at least before we left the midfield & all of our build up entirely to Özil & long cross field balls to the wings, and there's so much young talent that should've made this team that any even semi-competent coach will have us back to dominating.

giphy.gif

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He literally created 2 high-level scoring chances that were missed. I don't know how you can argue against that.
We may have very different definitions of "high level" scoring chances. The number of unforced giveaways easily outweighed his "creation" of said chances. He was crap. I'll probably give you that he wasn't as crap as Müller today, but that's about it.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
well im eating Korean food today. thank you.

that was really hard to watch as a mexican. im so glad Germany was at its worse.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
hahahahahaha

If Jogi hasn't already been fired then I'll get mad, otherwise, all I can say is it is about damn time. This moron eliminated us in 3 of the past 4 tourneys through massive incompetence...oh and Khedira, Draxler & Müller better have retired after that match or I might need to pull a Tonya Harding on the three of them right before the Euros.

I was still hoping that maybe the players would just mutiny and pick their own squad so we could go on to win it all again despite the coach...like we did in 2014...but in the end that would've just kept Jogi in the job for even longer, and he should've been fired 6 years ago. It's a shock that we're out in the groupstages but with what a complete ****ing moron jogi is, it's ultimately not surprising that relying on Boateng & Ozil to be our entire midfield on their own didn't work. We played the first hour today a man down, and started against mexico 9 on 11.

A pity we never got to see what this team could look like if they ever played with 11 players at this tourney.

I don't even think Draxler played today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad