Euro: Group F: Germany vs. France, 6/15/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There’s no intent to knock him out so the result is irrelevant. As sad as it was for Pavard. Hell emi got knocked out 10 days ago. It was just a foul
So next time someone puts his cleats in someone's face unintentionally it won't be a red because of lack of intent.

OK.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
So next time someone puts his cleats in someone's face unintentionally it won't be a red because of lack of intent.

OK.

A Russian player may well have managed that feat vs a Finn today and I don't think it was even whistled a foul...because it was a purely accidental collision.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yellow seems like a minimum. Red for Rudiger.

However, the defense that intent is all that matters is simple dishonesty, as the Mane play tells you. Mane never tried to behead Ederson. He tried to play the ball. Yet his action was extremely dangerous and he was rightfully shown red. Everyone, including Reds fans, agreed with the card IIRC because you simly can't be reckless. The consequences could have been huge (and Ederson's face was quite something too).
Yesterday, Gosens's play was reckless and extremely dangerous. The fact the only player to touch the ball was Pavard is also telling. The guy came from behind, detroyed Pavard, missed the ball, and nothing was called.
IMO, it's a red. Yellow would be stricly minimum.
The fact the ref said nothing and VAR said nothing seems absolutely crazy.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Pavard knew that a German player would be going for the cross too, it was an unfortunate collision between two players going for the same ball.

Reactions: gary69

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Pavard knew that a German player would be going for the cross too, it was an unfortunate collision between two players going for the same ball.

I do not go for crosses with a flying knee, but that's just me.

Your post is the equivalent of "Jake Evans should have protected himself".

I mean, I am not saying it should have been a straight red, but come one... it is not on Pavard.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think it's on anyone really, Pavard got to the ball first so a free kick for France. But he should have left the field after a collision like that for further medical checks.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It was reckless of Gosens and football should figure out how to get injuries like that out of the game...though I would have complained had a red been given; as I understand why Gosens went all out for that ball & have a hard time blaming him for not expecting Pavard to have read it as quickly as he did.

Especially since Gosens scored a goal off of that same movement against Latvia when the defender didn't react as quickly as Pavard had. He should've pulled out when he saw Pavard beating him to the spot & going for it with his head...but I get why all he was thinking of was getting to that ball & tying the match.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Let's also remember a german poster here said "it ain't a foul, he didn't lose his teeth".
You got that wrong. You asked for the difference between that and 82 and I said he didn't lose any teeth. It was tongue in cheek as was shown by the added emoticon. I wouldn't have been surprised if that was carded. Schumacher, btw, should have been a straight red. 8 year old me saw that differently, but one matures.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It was reckless of Gosens and football should figure out how to get injuries like that out of the game...though I would have complained had a red been given; as I understand why Gosens went all out for that ball & have a hard time blaming him for not expecting Pavard to have read it as quickly as he did.

Especially since Gosens scored a goal off of that same movement against Latvia when the defender didn't react as quickly as Pavard had. He should've pulled out when he saw Pavard beating him to the spot & going for it with his head...but I get why all he was thinking of was getting to that ball & tying the match.

Nothing you say here is false.

However, it is reckless play. To me, that's a yellow, MINIMUM! Considering that the play had a bad outcome for the opposing player, it COULD have been a red.

I do agree that Pavard should have been removed from the game at that point though.

Reactions: Evilo and Eisen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nothing you say here is false.

However, it is reckless play. To me, that's a yellow, MINIMUM! Considering that the play had a bad outcome for the opposing player, it COULD have been a red.

I do agree that Pavard should have been removed from the game at that point though.

I would've understood a yellow & not been shocked by a red, though I would've thought that was harsh given the current rules.

Definitely agree that we need better rules to protect players from head injuries.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yes, outcome alone is not a reason for a red card under the current rules. Law 12 states that:

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

Can you interpret the situation like that? Maybe. But Gosens did not use excessive force or brutality compared to what is considered normal for a forward receiving a cross in the box, timing and positioning just were unfortunate this time. If a play like this, regardless of outcome, is considered endangering the safety of an opponent then that would require rethinking what is acceptable in the game in general. Maybe it should be, I don't know. But it would change football.

Reactions: gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Re-watching this and 15 minutes in, I am even more impressed with Varane, and even more confident in our offense being able to create goals against any other defense. 3 times already, Varane has made interceptions to stop a german from latching onto the ball, in behind the french backline...twice it was multiple germans...other defenders could make any of those interceptions, but he's reading everything perfectly & always there.

Havertz has also been astonishingly poor through these first 15; he had three really bad touches in the first 6 minutes, one of which could've seen Gnabry sliding in behind the french defense if Kai had been able to play the first-touch pass before Gnabry was offsides, instead of being drawn wide & having to recycle possession...another of which saw him easily dispossessed in the french half, by a backtracking Mbappe.

France absolutely did not head into this intending to sit back...despite how good at that they are...being unable to disrupt our build-up with their pressing and these early near misses from us, pushed them deeper.

Kroos has only gotten exposed once so far, but I know that the worst is still to come, especially since the one time france did attack through his part of the midfield, an underlapping Pavard blew right past him on a simple 1-2 that was played just out of his reach & rolled through to Hummels.

Running back to the lab soon, so I'll add anything that strikes me over the remaining 75 minutes of the match later/tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4