Euro: Group F: Germany vs. France, 6/15/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nope, the quite obvious truth is that at full speed, someone touching you is a foul because it makes you lose your balance.
Sorry to burst through open doors with such blatant 5 year old truths.
As long as you know that it's only true to 5 year olds, I can accept your opinion.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I think you should worry less about reffing in a pretty even game and more about the fact that France parked the bus against a team with limited offensive options up front...

Parked the bus yet hit a post, and 1 offside by probably 1 mm. Could have easily been 3-0. Also the missed penalty call. This game wasn’t as close as the score.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Parked the bus yet hit a post, and 1 offside by probably 1 mm. Could have easily been 3-0. Also the missed penalty call. This game wasn’t as close as the score.

France earned their win with their excellent defensive performance & threat on the counter, and winning by 2 wouldn't have been undeserved...but both teams can play the what-if game to claim that the score could've swung by 3+ goals in their favor.

For example; Hummels could've cleared the ball cleanly instead of poking in the french winner while Gnabry could've scored a pair on chances that he has converted for the NT before...and we had other moments around their box where a different bounce, or just one mistake from Varane-Kimpembe & Kante, could've resulted in a more favorable outcome.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Possession 68:32 for Germany, shots on target 10:4, completed passes 617:360. Expecting goals 0:3 for France would be quite optimistic.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think you should worry less about reffing in a pretty even game and more about the fact that France parked the bus against a team with limited offensive options up front...

Our team has plenty of issues, but there aren't many NTs that can press & retain well enough to keep us from having the majority of the ball. And when we've got most of the ball, we're most vulnerable to teams who can drop deep well & hit us on the counter; which France is literally world class at doing...

They did the right thing, just like Portugal will. Committing more men to pressing us aggressively could've given us space to attack in behind...which would've been the one way to make Jogi look like he knew what he was doing playing both Kroos & Hummels.

Last edited:

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
France defended and countered because they could. Once they got the lead what would have controlling the ball and leaving themselves open for the counter do for them. Sit back and have Pogba and Benzema send Mbappe off on the break.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Possession 68:32 for Germany, shots on target 10:4, completed passes 617:360. Expecting goals 0:3 for France would be quite optimistic.

If you actually followed France the last few years, including their 2018 title, you’ll notice they don’t mind letting teams possess. Their midfield and defense is fantastic at snuffing most threats. They also have the deadliest counter and set pieces of the tournament. So looking at possession and passing and saying Germany dominated is delusional.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
France defended and countered because they could. Once they got the lead what would have controlling the ball and leaving themselves open for the counter do for them. Sit back and have Pogba and Benzema send Mbappe off on the break.

They weren't controlling the ball prior to the goal either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you actually followed France the last few years, including their 2018 title, you’ll notice they don’t mind letting teams possess. Their midfield and defense is fantastic at snuffing most threats. They also have the deadliest counter and set pieces of the tournament. So looking at possession and passing and saying Germany dominated is delusional.
Has anyone actually claimed that we dominated?

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Kroos is unnecessary, Klostermann to RB and put Kimmich in mid where he belongs. Not sure if Goretzka is fit but he is a must also. Kroos/Gundogan double pivot is suicidal.

France typically start these tournaments slow, I'll be surprised if they don't win this given their squad. Pogba is a different player whenever he has Kante behind him.

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kroos is unnecessary, Klostermann to RB and put Kimmich in mid where he belongs. Not sure if Goretzka is fit but he is a must also. Kroos/Gundogan double pivot is suicidal.

France typically start these tournaments slow, I'll be surprised if they don't win this given their squad. Pogba is a different player whenever he has Kante behind him.

Klostermann is a very good player in the right roles...and I would bring him into the back 3 for Rüdiger because we could use his speed against counters...but he doesn't provide enough in the final third to play RWB in this shape.

So, since Baku was left for the U21s, we don't really have an alternative to playing Kimmich there until Hofmann gets healthy...if Jogi is actually willing to play Hofmann at RWB so Kimmich go back to the midfield, and he wasn't just blustering to the press before Hofmann picked up a knock.

Goretzka was expected to be fit for this one, but failed his final fitness test and was one of the three guys left off the squad today; along with Hofmann & Musiala. LeGo should hopefully be fit to replace Kroos for the Portugal match, since Jogi refuses to play Neuhaus *sigh*

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Despite Germany was very harmless. 10 shots without scare for the opponent. ;)
This shows that statistics don't say much.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I lowkey think he could be a nice fit in the front 3...he offers a lot in battles/against the ball, makes some of the best penetrating runs on the team, he has a knack for setting team-mates up as they charge into the spaces opened up by his movements, and is coming off a good campaign in france...I think, correct me if I'm wrong Evilo.

Havertz is our best bet for that spot next to Gnabry & Müller, but I think I might bring Volland on ahead of Werner or Sane...at least given their current form.
I don’t think we are arguing vastly different points. I think on form, he unfortunately is a better option than some of what they have. My issue is more that if he’s the option, it shows a dearth of quality. Werner and Sane being in a funk makes this really tough

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t think we are arguing vastly different points. I think on form, he unfortunately is a better option than some of what they have. My issue is more that if he’s the option, it shows a dearth of quality. Werner and Sane being in a funk makes this really tough
That's where we disagree. Had he picked clubs differently in his career, I think he had the quality to have started on a CL-winner.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
France played Germany off the pitch like they did in WWI.

However, that Hummels tackle was one of the best I've ever seen in my life (definitely not a penalty). Mbappe is probably the best player in the world, him and Pogba are just revelations when they put on the Rooster kit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And that's why those stats mean nothing.
Germany's chances? Gnabry's shot over the bar.
France's? One penalty not called, one goal, two goals called off (rightfully so) for 5 centimeters offside and a goalpost. Except none of these 5 plays appear in the Stat column (own goal, post is considered off target, offside is offside, penalty not called).

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
France played Germany off the pitch like they did in WWI.

However, that Hummels tackle was one of the best I've ever seen in my life (definitely not a penalty). Mbappe is probably the best player in the world, him and Pogba are just revelations when they put on the Rooster kit.

I think Kante is arguably a more impressive player than both. This French team is one of the best assembled in a long time but not necessarily from an offensive perspective.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My view :
Lloris : neutral. Not a single save. Missed only 1 kick.
Defense : Amazing as usual. Even Pavard (can't believe I wrote this)
Midfield : Pogba amazing, Kante and Rabiot excellent.
Forwards : they weren't good. Griez helped defensively Mbappe and Benz only once. Didn't create anything they also have trouble finding each other.
Benz had 2 good plays the whole game. Mbappe had one great shot offside.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
France plays like this because technically in attack they are the strongest of all, they base everything on 1vs1 they don't intend to command the game, they don't need it. To beat them you have to make their forwards work defensively, and in any case it is not enough. Germany played a decent game, but it was like seeing a cat playing with a mouse. On the controversy, Gosens is never red but is a 100% yellow, the penalty is not a scandal to not give it and it must be said that the defender has worked a half miracle. To beat France you need something else, you have to scare them and make them lose all their certainties, to score first against them is very important, and difficult.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And that's why those stats mean nothing.
Germany's chances? Gnabry's shot over the bar.
France's? One penalty not called, one goal, two goals called off (rightfully so) for 5 centimeters offside and a goalpost. Except none of these 5 plays appear in the Stat column (own goal, post is considered off target, offside is offside, penalty not called).

Not that you guys didn't deserve to win...but you're making it sound like you were the only team whose chances didn't all appear in the stat colomn lol.

Neither of Gnabry's chances which he often converts was on target either and we didn't even get a shot off from some of our more dangerous moments. So again, both teams can play the what-about-ism drinking game.
My view :
Lloris : neutral. Not a single save. Missed only 1 kick.
Defense : Amazing as usual. Even Pavard (can't believe I wrote this)
Midfield : Pogba amazing, Kante and Rabiot excellent.
Forwards : they weren't good. Griez helped defensively Mbappe and Benz only once. Didn't create anything they also have trouble finding each other.
Benz had 2 good plays the whole game. Mbappe had one great shot offside.

...Mbappe made multiple tackles in his own half, he put in work because we made him...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nope the difference is that Gnabry's shot counted in the xg (rightfully so).
That was Germany's only genuine chance of the full 90 minutes.
The only whataboutism here is your post.

And no Mbappe didn't put the work.
Didn't have to either since he didn't cover for a RB. And Kimmich was eaten by Lucas

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nope the difference is that Gnabry's shot counted in the xg (rightfully so).
That was Germany's only genuine chance of the full 90 minutes.
The only whataboutism here is your post.

And no Mbappe didn't put the work.
Didn't have to either since he didn't cover for a RB. And Kimmich was eaten by Lucas

:laugh: if you say so

I like how our off target shots don't count but yours do. And I never realized that Mbappe was so good that he could track back all game without doing any running...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad