Euro: Group F: Germany vs. France, 6/15/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Obviously, and I mean OBVIOUSLY, this is the best game of the first round of group games. Everyone knows the teams so I don't have much to say on this front. But a German result here could completely flip the dynamic of what the knockouts are expected to look like. And Germany is at home in Munich.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I get the feeling that we'll squeak out a win here, beat Portugal convincingly, and then s*** the bed against Hungary...even though losing here, squeaking a win out over Portugal, and then thumping Hungary should make more sense...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think we're going to see lads versus blokes in this match, this is going to ring in a new generation for Germany and France will get its vengence it has been waiting since 1940 to have. I am expecting France to win by three goals and no I am not joking around.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Do Canadians in general cheer to the Frenchmen? Or do they care at all about football (soccer)?

The easy answer is that people from Quebec root for Les Bleus while a good portion of the rest of Canada roots for England.

It's a lot more nuanced than that, given the preponderance of immigrant communities that root for their home nations.

For example, I have cheered for Germany since I was a kid but I grew up there. There are very large Italian-Canadian communities in most Canadian cities.

Among my immediate friends, one is of Italian descent, one is of Dutch descent, one grew up in Northern Ireland, so it's a bit of a United Nations of fandom. Some people just pick a team based on a player that they like or a league that they follow.

What's funny is that you'll see more car flags in Canada during an international soccer tournament than you will for the NHL playoffs. During big tournaments, they'll put TVs in the lobbies of government buildings and in public areas and bar patios.

Soccer is very popular in Canada - we just aren't very good at it. Hopefully getting better.

People ask me if I would cheer for Canada over Germany - absolutely I would. I think that applies to most Canadians.

Just not too many occasions for that to happen outside of the 1986 World Cup. ;)

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'll go with France on this one, but it could easily be a draw or a German win. Probably the best game of the first round here.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
france takes this.

pavard with a world class game, but will still get 1 of 10 in rating from evilo .:(

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wish I could know what lineup Jogi will go with. That way I can stop worrying & either starting expecting an unmitigated disaster, or us to have a chance of nicking this :laugh:

Hoping for:

Gnabry - Müller
Gosens - Gundogan - Goretzka - Hofmann
Kimmich
Rüdiger* - Hummels - Klostermann*
Neuer

or

Gnabry
Müller - Havertz
Gosens - Gundogan - Kimmich - Hofmann
Neuer

*Ginter
(Neuhaus if LeGo can't go)​

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
This whole Mbappe Giroud thing is so weird

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Nothing there really, just media trying to stir up the pot.
Well a portion of it is overblown - espec the question Mbappe was asked today was ridiculous

But there is absolutely some weird passive aggression

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah.
Giroud wanted to brag a little after he scored 2 goals. Him and Mbappe are buddies. They even eat together each meal.
There's nothing to worry about.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With Hofmann's knee injury, it's looking like he's not an option to start...which means it'll come down to Kimmich or Klostermann for the right side. If Goretzka can't start either, I hope Jogi isn't naive enough to start Kroos...as he was in the lineup from the latest training & the last warm-up:

Gnabry
Müller - Havertz
Gosens - Gundogan - Kroos - Kimmich
Rüdiger - Hummels - Ginter
Neuer
Hopefully by game time Toni is replaced by Neuhaus or Goretzka.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I expect a thorough trouncing. And I am disappointed Benzema is back in the French team after that affair.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I wish I could know what lineup Jogi will go with. That way I can stop worrying & either starting expecting an unmitigated disaster, or us to have a chance of nicking this :laugh:

Hoping for:

Gnabry - Müller
Gosens - Gundogan - Goretzka - Hofmann
Kimmich
Neuer

or

Gnabry
Müller - Havertz
Gosens - Gundogan - Kimmich - Hofmann
Neuer

*Ginter
(Neuhaus if LeGo can't go)​
I would not be surprised if Kimmich plays defense instead of Klostermann.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad