GDT: Group F • May 9 • Switzerland 5, United States 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
:handclap: Congratulations Switzerland though it's too late. But they won against a NHL-team USA. This is a good performance.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Skille with another brain cramp. I don't want to act like a homer but I taught Palmieri has been way better then Skille so far in this tournament, yet he get's to ride the pine?

It is just a coincidence that they took out Fayne and we lose, then they take out Palmeri and we lose. Defensive players anyone?

At least Lou is not considering Gordon to coach the Devils.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It is just a coincidence that they took out Fayne and we lose, then they take out Palmeri and we lose. Defensive players anyone?

gotta agree here. didnt like this set up at all. way too many of the same type of players in the lineup. just because they can skate doesnt mean they should be playing.

I like Fayne a lot as well, would rather see him then Clay Wilson, but to be fair to Clay, he hasnt looked that bad either.

Palmieri not getting playing time, then not playing is absurd. You sit the only other player who has scored more then 1 goal besides Smith, and has size and crashes the net?

Gordon, you really are a stroke sometimes.

if Palmieri isnt in the lineup against the Czech team, and Gaustad and Kreider dont play bigger roles; then this team is going to get man handled. simple as that.

Last edited:

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
:neener: and the US have to play the CZ. Im so happy. Maybe just maybe we can make the semi..... Anyway ty switzerland. Great match :handclap:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
:handclap: Congratulations Switzerland though it's too late. But they won against a NHL-team USA. This is a good performance.

Thank you ...

But i think that this NHL = good and non NHL = 2nd class players is really overdone. Specially on big ice rink
(correlation between where the WC takes place and the winners is big ! European teams are at advantage in Europe and American team in America !)

Our league LNA is a good league on a European level ... and our players stay at home. Unless you make 1.5 or 2 mio a year ... For a career, no Swiss player will be interested in playing in North america for the minimum 800'000 a year.
(not talking about the "Jeune Wèbère" who is their still as a young player)
the only swiss NHL players are Sbisa, Hiller, Streit who are all 3 above 3 mio a year. The others haven't embraced their career yet and are trying to see if they can make it to a different level than the ground level.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
Thank you ...

But i think that this NHL = good and non NHL = 2nd class players is really overdone. Specially on big ice rink
(correlation between where the WC takes place and the winners is big ! European teams are at advantage in Europe and American team in America !)

Our league LNA is a good league on a European level ... and our players stay at home. Unless you make 1.5 or 2 mio a year ... For a career, no Swiss player will be interested in playing in North america for the minimum 800'000 a year.
(not talking about the "Jeune Wèbère" who is their still as a young player)
the only swiss NHL players are Sbisa, Hiller, Streit who are all 3 above 3 mio a year. The others haven't embraced their career yet and are trying to see if they can make it to a different level than the ground level.

These are not good facts! The swiss players are weak also for that. Petit bourgeois!

and the US have to play the CZ. Im so happy. Maybe just maybe we can make the semi..... Anyway ty switzerland. Great match

Forgive me but i really hope Us will play a good game against the easteuropean and Norway will be destroyed. Sorry! But you nordic after beaten the swiss in semifinals are in the final game of bigheads' Worlds against the germans.

Last edited:

member 116805

These are not good facts! The swiss players are weak also for that. Petit bourgeois!

Forgive me but i really hope Us will play a good game against the easteuropean and Norway will be destroyed. Sorry! But you nordic after beaten the swiss in semifinals are in the final game of bigheads' Worlds against the germans.

First off, you are forgiven. Forgiven for not being able to make yourself understood in English.
Bigheads? Lol, we expected to be in relegation. Everything since then has been a great experience, thought deserved.
I dont know if you are trying to say that Switzerland is in eastern europe? If so you might want to check your globe that you probably have sitting on your bed-side table. It boarders to Italy, you might know where that is...
Now have a good night, and dont let the bedbugs bite sweetheart

Fairenough

Jan 4, 2010
Québec
This is a bummer. I thought goaltending would be among our strong suits in this tournament, Montoya and Conklin are no Ryan Miller but they're capable backstops. Instead they've both been awful liabilities. I guess Montoya's good season for the Isles was just a mirage and he's back to being the big disappointment he's always been. Too bad.

If only Detroit lost lastnight we might have been able to add Howard for the quarters. Campbell's still unregistered, isn't he?

Montoya has had two AWFUL periods in this tournament (both in the same game). Outside of that, he's looked fine to me.

Anyway, I don't see how 3 games, mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Whether he had crapped the bed in every starts or got a shutout in every starts, means nothing.

We'll see how he does, next year. My eyes tell me that the guy clearly has the tools to be a legit #1 in the NHL. He's got a few things to work on ("depth selection" and angling the rebounds), but overall, I have no doubt that he's got what it takes to be a solid netminder.

MrHockey80

Sep 23, 2007
gotta agree here. didnt like this set up at all. way too many of the same type of players in the lineup. just because they can skate doesnt mean they should be playing.

I like Fayne a lot as well, would rather see him then Clay Wilson, but to be fair to Clay, he hasnt looked that bad either.

Palmieri not getting playing time, then not playing is absurd. You sit the only other player who has scored more then 1 goal besides Smith, and has size and crashes the net?

Gordon, you really are a stroke sometimes.

if Palmieri isnt in the lineup against the Czech team, and Gaustad and Kreider dont play bigger roles; then this team is going to get man handled. simple as that.

This is USA team politics at its best Palmieri will be in the line up vs. Czechs you can bet on it of course they scratch Palmieri in a meaningless game only CHL player not having played for NTDP less of a chance of him being the leading goal scorer

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

I don't think Fayne would have changed the outcome of these games.

Palmieri on the other hand...I don't know what Gordon was thinking.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I think this was pretty clearly the worst game of the tournament for the US thus far. The poor defensive coverage and inability to effect a break out (despite having a number of skilled puck movers) is an indicator that this group lacks the cohesion a real team has. The Swiss, as they often do, played a fundamentally sound game and nearly everything went their way because of that.

I had really hoped to avoid having a game like this. We've made the quaterfinals, which is great, but this game might have crushed this groups confidence heading into a game against the undefeated reigning champs. The odds of a win seem too slim to entertain.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
First off, you are forgiven. Forgiven for not being able to make yourself understood in English.
Bigheads? Lol, we expected to be in relegation. Everything since then has been a great experience, thought deserved.
I dont know if you are trying to say that Switzerland is in eastern europe? If so you might want to check your globe that you probably have sitting on your bed-side table. It boarders to Italy, you might know where that is...
Now have a good night, and dont let the bedbugs bite sweetheart

I dnt think we norwegians should make fun of other peeps english. Just remember Jagland. Barrrrrakkkk Obama hass sjaged the worllllllll, BØTTT and so on ;) We also got the Solberg brothers. " I got in the hole" :D hehe.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just caught the game....

- The first 3 minutes were a great start other than the terrible McDonagh turnover. The team looked to be setting a great tone for the game...oh how that would change after scoring 1st.
- Craig Smith is awesome. He's the next Joe Pavelski.
- Mark Stuart still sucks. For being defensive defenseman, neither Stuart or Komisarek are competent at their bread and butter anymore. Anything more than the PK is asking them to think too much.
- McDonagh isn't playing up to his ability.
- Any confidence I gained in Conklin from the Canada game is gone.
- We're not getting enough out of our possession time. I don't know what the emphasis is by the coaching staff but they need to focus more on shooting the puck. We completely controlled the first half
of the 1st period and only had the goal and not much else to show for it. No intensity or urgency.
- Defensive zone coverage is still poor. 2-3 guys are running around chasing hits and the other 2-3 are just standing still watching the puck and making it easy for the Swiss players to find the open ice.
- We have no idea how to play on international ice. The 2 man forecheck isn't working.
- Jack Skille's lack of finish has always doomed him. I don't even get excited when he gets a good chance.

Easily the worst game of the tournament for Team USA. They looked to be setting a good tone to start, easily controlling the game and scoring first. It was all downhill from there. They looked like they were playing an exhibition game.

I don't have much hope, if any, on the game against the Czechs unless we figure out how to play on international ice because Gordon isn't going to switch up his style.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This is USA team politics at its best Palmieri will be in the line up vs. Czechs you can bet on it of course they scratch Palmieri in a meaningless game only CHL player not having played for NTDP less of a chance of him being the leading goal scorer

Might be reading too much conspiracy into this. Perhaps the staff wanted to reward players for making the commitment to be with Team USA by allowing them to play in a game. I'd say your case has some merit if Palmieri or Fayne aren't in the lineup against the Czech Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad