GDT: Group F • May 9 • Switzerland 5, United States 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Skille with another brain cramp. I don't want to act like a homer but I taught Palmieri has been way better then Skille so far in this tournament, yet he get's to ride the pine?

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Glad my team is still in the playoffs, because the lack of talent on this USA team is embarrassing.

The USA D is actually half decent. Johnson, Komisarek, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Stuart
& McDonagh are all legit NHL players.

The USA forward corp is a whole different animal as they only have 3 legit top 6 NHL forwards in Stepan, Wheeler & JVR.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I do not like Scott Gordon that much anymore. I dont like his line combos or his game time decisions.

No reason why Palmieri isnt in this lineup. It is simply ridiculous that Porter is still in and Palmieri the only guy outside of Smith that has scored is not.

We are getting out hit and out muscled for pucks, and leaving a big body like Palmieri off the roster and not playing Gaustad that much are mistakes.

We are too small and it is painful to see. I understand the need for wanting a fast team on the bigger ice, but what does it matter if you have speedy guys with no hands that get out hit and out muscled?

If the US is to do anything in this tourney, we need to bring that physical North American style of play and we need more big bodies crashing the net and parking their butts infront of it.

Kreider, Gaustad, and Palmieri should be used bigtime in this game because the Swiss plays an in your face style of game that we simply cannot handle as it is.

I expected JVR to be a non factor today, and that is the case. The kid just got here and is on no sleep. So none of this is on him, but the US just continues to make bad passes, get outhit, and look very hesitant out there. Besides the first 8 minutes, this game has pretty much been all Swiss.

member 116805

The USA D is actually half decent. Johnson, Komisarek, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Stuart
& McDonagh are all legit NHL players.

The USA forward corp is a whole different animal as they only have 3 legit top 6 NHL forwards in Stepan, Wheeler & JVR.

3 more than Norway and we beat Switzerland...
Biggest problem for the US team as i see it is poor work ethics and under estemating opponents. But who knows, they might wake up late this game aswell

Zorkan

Well, this is the last chance for Switzerland to put a happy face to a horrible championship whereas it's a more or less useless game for the US. I'm not surprised at the difference in motivation so far.

But it looks like the US is waking up now...

member 116805

The US is still having problems getting into the Swiss zone and staying there. Good job by the Swiss D on their own blueline

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
3 more than Norway and we beat Switzerland...
Biggest problem for the US team as i see it is poor work ethics and under estemating opponents. But who knows, they might wake up late this game aswell

Norway gave canada trouble also. There is much more talent outside the NHL than people realize. I'm not surprised that Swiss is winning this game. They have what 10-11 Olympians? They have more team talent than the US.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Well, this is the last chance for Switzerland to put a happy face to a horrible championship whereas it's a more or less useless game for the US. I'm not surprised at the difference in motivation so far.

But it looks like the US is waking up now...

They went to OT against CAN, were very solid for 48 min. against SWE, are in the lead against USA, convincingly beating Belarus, and won against France (barely)... it's far from horrible, just very disappointing in the final standings, they have been further in the tournament before,with lesser performances IMO.

Goaltending was very good, D all around was very solid, and the Of without Wick, Brunner, Bärtschi, Deruns (and Sprunger beyond horrible) just is missing the depth for consistent scoring.

Zorkan

They went to OT against CAN, were very solid for 48 min. against SWE, are in the lead against USA, convincingly beating Belarus, and won against France (barely)... it's far from horrible, just very disappointing in the final standings, they have been further in the tournament before,with lesser performances IMO.

Goaltending was very good, D all around was very solid, and the Of without Wick, Brunner, Bärtschi, Deruns (and Sprunger beyond horrible) just is missing the depth for consistent scoring.

Glad you enjoyed it, I didn't.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Congrats to the Swiss, though I was cheering for the US.

What does this do to the US? Do they still make the Quarters?

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009

The US was in. They just don't have enough core talent to advance more than a round unless Conklin or Montoya play lights out and they get secondary scoring from JVR.

backcheck42

Feb 2, 2011

They are still in the Quarters. However, since they failed to pick up any points, they are going to finish the Qualifying round in fourth place in pool F. That means they are going to have to play the undefeated Czechs in the Semis and will most likely get destroyed by them.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Glad you enjoyed it, I didn't.

which I'm fine with,

definitely wasn't pleased with the performance against Norway, but they got a solid team and always are a serious challenge with their effort. I expected more hustle in the 3rd against Sweden as well. Of course I'm disappointed.

but I see the good stuff as well, beside the things I listed above, BP was excellent once more.
I liked very much, that they attack as a team with a lot of D support. (Vauclair freeflying was a rare highlight in the old system)

Diaz was very good, and should take the next step (SEL/KHL) or NA.
Lötscher will be an impact for a while as well.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
This is a bummer. I thought goaltending would be among our strong suits in this tournament, Montoya and Conklin are no Ryan Miller but they're capable backstops. Instead they've both been awful liabilities. I guess Montoya's good season for the Isles was just a mirage and he's back to being the big disappointment he's always been. Too bad.

If only Detroit lost lastnight we might have been able to add Howard for the quarters. Campbell's still unregistered, isn't he?

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
They are still in the Quarters. However, since they failed to pick up any points, they are going to finish the Qualifying round in fourth place in pool F. That means they are going to have to play the undefeated Czechs in the Semis and will most likely get destroyed by them.

I would have thought the same against Canada, but its one game and if they get good tending and play good total team D, they can keep it close.

Ever hear of Jack Parker? He had a saying and I'll let you fill in the blank:

There are times hockey s/b called _____________ because some nights thats
the story of the game.;)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tough game to watch. The U.S. gets a lot of chances due to its speed and forecheck, but just doesn't cash in. Defensive coverage looked disinteresed to put it mildly. Conklin did nothing to distinguish himself either. The funny thing is, even though this team on paper doesn't appear capable of much, if the stars align I can see them beating the Czechs. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->