GDT: Group F • May 7 • Norway 2, Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
Id put money that Reimer is the starting goalie for the rest of the tourny, unless he gets yanked and Bernier plays well.

I don't undrestand some of the leaf fans saying both goals against bernier were softies. The first goal was basically a replica of the third goal against reimer. They were pretty much left out to dry by the forward/dmen group. The second one was an awful goal to give up.

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
Goaltending is definitely the weak spot for Canada, and it has been since 2007 tournament (2009 was decent too actually) but man, Carey Price would've been awesome.

Defense also lacks a Duncan Keith/Drew Doughty. Burns and Pietrangelo can only do so much.

I'd say Dion could be Canada's best dman, but I think all three have played well.

Milan the God*

Everyone criticized Brodeur from last Olympics against the USA and basically said he was garbage and shouldn't be playing again. It's not because he's a Leaf - it's because he didn't play well in a short tournament.

But I guess everyone hates the Leafs!!!!11 :cry:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I don't see an issue with giving Dubnyk a shot at the goal against Sweden. It is a free game and it's worth testing. Reimer isn't a bad option either. I honestly don't think there's much of a difference between Reimer, Dubnyk or Bernier so I'm ok with whatever.

I think they should give Dubnyk a start, just for the sake of being fair. He went to the tournament last year as the third string and didn't get to play, it seems like the least they could do is give him at least one start this year. Especially because he said he didn't want to go this year if he wasn't going to get to play.

member 116805

Good game Norway, another great team effort! We lots, but have surprised everyone in this WC, including ourselves, with all the injuries etc.

Considering Norway has about 6000 active players (including women, children and senior players, and Canada has about 10 x that), we have a lot to be proud of.
If just things would be in place for hockey in Norway i think we could be a top contender in hockey just like any other winter sport.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Everyone criticized Brodeur from last Olympics against the USA and basically said he was garbage and shouldn't be playing again. It's not because he's a Leaf - it's because he didn't play well in a short tournament.

But how do you explain the overall difference in attitude toward Reimer's performances vs Bernier? Both have let in soft goal, Reimer has faced far more quality shots during this tournament and both have been left to dry by their D at times bit BOTH got the job done when all was said and done. Go back and look a the comments after our game against USA and look in this thread. You'll see a different attitude toward both goalies. I personally don't think it'll make that much of a difference if you ride either one and I'd like to see Dub get a start if we've guaranteed ourselves to the next round. People complaining about the Leafs fans are completely missing the point of their frustration. It suits everyone to believe that the issue is Leafs fans don't want others to criticize their players (even though leafs have openly talked about Schenn's struggles during this tournament and admitted to Reimer having a sub-par performance in the last game). The issue is that everyone seems to be pretty rational about Bernier's performance (solid with some shaky moments and one soft goal) by with Reimer, some would rather just focus on the couple of soft goals without taking into consideration the situations his team put him in that resulted in the majority of goals. Some accused him of being horrible and other there were some other dramatics. He hasn't been stellar but to say/insinuate that he's been below average or horrible - you either don't know hockey or you're negatively bias toward the guy for some reason or another.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Good game Norway, another great team effort! We lots, but have surprised everyone in this WC, including ourselves, with all the injuries etc.

Considering Norway has about 6000 active players (including women, children and senior players, and Canada has about 10 x that), we have a lot to be proud of.
If just things would be in place for hockey in Norway i think we could be a top contender in hockey just like any other winter sport.

Canada has 532,435 registered players.

Almost 90 times as many as Norway.:handclap:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hdic2003/canadian_hockey.html
edit: It seems that number is from 2002....wonder how many there are today?

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
I wouldn't be to impressed with Norways performance in this game. They were outshot terribly and the performance was 3 minutes of pressure on Canada on two soft goals. If anything it's Canada's poor performance to not finish, just like in the last game that makes Norway look semi-decent.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think they should give Dubnyk a start, just for the sake of being fair. He went to the tournament last year as the third string and didn't get to play, it seems like the least they could do is give him at least one start this year. Especially because he said he didn't want to go this year if he wasn't going to get to play.
They also have to consider the sake of winning. Whoever they want to go with for the elimination games should be getting that next start. Maybe if they were playing horribly they could spare a game for fairness. Once you have 3 goalies don't have a ton of time to spread it out. It's not fun, but it happens. Pretty sure he got an exhibition start before the games got officially started and did get most of a period. Sadly it's harder to get all the goalies in than to toss a guy onto the fourth line.

He might get a start though, so we'll have to wait and see.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Good on Norway. This Canada team isn't making me very confident in them.

member 116805

I wouldn't be to impressed with Norways performance in this game. They were outshot terribly and the performance was 3 minutes of pressure on Canada on two soft goals. If anything it's Canada's poor performance to not finish, just like in the last game that makes Norway look semi-decent.

We have been outshot in all the games but one. Still we have three wins, and losses against the US (4-2) and Canada (3-2). So yeah, it must be that everyone is playing bad and cannot finish, lol.
It seems like everytime someone gets beaten or does not succeed to totally crush us in this championship its because of bad goalies and poor finishing.
How many NHL players played for Canada today again? We have one that played about half the season on Colorado, the rest of the season in the AHL... A guy like Spezza probably makes more per year that all our team does in a year combined. And your soft goalie is a pro, ours dont even have a club and is on wellfare...
Credit where credit is due, Norway's team spirit and hard work is what have made us successful so far

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
We have been outshot in all the games but one. Still we have three wins, and losses against the US (4-2) and Canada (3-2). So yeah, it must be that everyone is playing bad and cannot finish, lol.
It seems like everytime someone gets beaten or does not succeed to totally crush us in this championship its because of bad goalies and poor finishing.
How many NHL players played for Canada today again? We have one that played about half the season on Colorado, the rest of the season in the AHL... A guy like Spezza probably makes more per year that all our team does in a year combined. And your soft goalie is a pro, ours dont even have a club and is on wellfare...
Credit where credit is due, Norway's team spirit and hard work is what have made us successful so far
No excuses here, I think norway played great most of the tournament, but you had 3 minutes of great play, that's not really much you can take out of that.

If you think that's impressive, well, ok.

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008

It's not about being fair. These are professionals, not 12 year old kids.

member 116805

No excuses here, I think norway played great most of the tournament, but you had 3 minutes of great play, that's not really much you can take out of that.

If you think that's impressive, well, ok.

Yes i do, playing even with a team that has close to 100 times as many players to chose from isnt bad in my book. On top of that missing our 4-5 best guys.
Outshot or not, its impressive. Just like it was impressive beating Sweden, winning over Switzerland and holding the US to a 2-0 lead until the 3rd before losing 4-2.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Here's the thing, most people think Reimer has played well except his most recent game of course. Yet they still want to run him out off team Canada.

Whatever, whoever is in net I'll root for because I want team Canada to win.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
It's not about being fair. These are professionals, not 12 year old kids.

I think most people would agree that the classy thing to do would be to at least give Dubnyk a shot. I know you are probably a big Reimer fan and want to see him play, but you should at least agree that Dubnyk deserves one start.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think most people would agree that the classy thing to do would be to at least give Dubnyk a shot. I know you are probably a big Reimer fan and want to see him play, but you should at least agree that Dubnyk deserves one start.

Well he won't be. He will be the third goalie on the team unless one of Reimer or Bernier is injured.

He did, however, make it clear that Devan Dubnyk will ride along as the third goalie. They normally only play in case of injury.

Hitchcock said he was “really happy” with Dubnyk, but has chosen Reimer and Bernier, who was the last goalie to join Team Canada.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Cana...lie+decision/4745782/story.html#ixzz1Lhl77Nag

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Well he won't be. He will be the third goalie on the team unless one of Reimer or Bernier is injured.

And I understand this. It's just unfortunate because Dubnyk said he would not go to the Worlds if he was going to be the number 3 again, and he wasn't even given a chance to win the number one job. Not even when there was only two goalies. Instead they handed the top two spots to two goalies who had very similar statistics to Dubnyk on substantially better teams. It doesn't come off as a very classy move by Team Canada, because Dubnyk was probably told at some point that he would at least have a chance to play. He wouldn't have gone otherwise.

I'm not trying to say that Dubnyk deserves to be the number one goalie, just that he deserved a chance to prove himself. I'm fine with having Reimer as the number one, so I hope Leafs fans don't get all defensive and attack me for suggesting that Dubnyk deserved to have one of his starts.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009

At one end, I agree that it would be a classy move to give Dubnyk a start. However, at the previous winter Olympics, Fleury never started a game.

In tournaments, you go with your top 2 goaltenders. If one struggles, the other goes. If the other struggles, then the first gets another shot. The only way for Dubnyk to get a start is if either one of the two other goaltenders gets hurt, or they both really stink it up.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Canada has 532,435 registered players.

Almost 90 times as many as Norway.:handclap:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hdic2003/canadian_hockey.html
edit: It seems that number is from 2002....wonder how many there are today?
In Canada,their are almost more indoors rinks,than the total of players in Norway.:laugh:
Not to mention the outdoor rinks. For every player in Norway,Canada has 2 outdoor rinks,a total of 11 000.
Norway has 40 indoors and 3 outdoors

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
At one end, I agree that it would be a classy move to give Dubnyk a start. However, at the previous winter Olympics, Fleury never started a game.

In tournaments, you go with your top 2 goaltenders. If one struggles, the other goes. If the other struggles, then the first gets another shot. The only way for Dubnyk to get a start is if either one of the two other goaltenders gets hurt, or they both really stink it up.

The only problem with that comparison is that Fleury was the third goaltender from the start of the tournament. Dubnyk was the backup goalie up until Bernier joined the team, which wasn't very long ago. Even in the Olympics, Team Canada alternated playing Luongo and Brodeur in the preliminary round to decide a starter rather than name one the starter straight from the start. Historically, Team Canada has always alternated goalies in the preliminary round of international tournaments when they had two goalies of equal or similar skill levels. Look at the World Juniors this year, they did the same thing with Roy and Visentin. For some reason though, they decided to pick a starter before the tournament even started in the Worlds this year when they had another goalie of similar skill level. I just think they should've given Dubnyk a chance, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad