GDT: Group F • May 7 • Norway 2, Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milan the God*

Our goaltending sucks so far. It would probably be worth it to give Dubnyk a shot. Bernier and Reimer are both alright but let in some softies. In a short tournament like this you don't want your #1 goalie letting in softies (whoever is the #1). Before the tournament I thought the goaltending didn't look good and now it's proving to be correct.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Our goaltending sucks so far. It would probably be worth it to give Dubnyk a shot. Bernier and Reimer are both alright but let in some softies. In a short tournament like this you don't want your #1 goalie letting in softies (whoever is the #1). Before the tournament I thought the goaltending didn't look good and now it's proving to be correct.

I think we as a country should be getting used to this by now.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Well....i figured it would be a little more clear cut. Bernier looked pretty good for the most part.....he seemed to control his rebounds better, but in the end....there is still a controversy.

Hope we get this figured out.

We have to play Dubnyk against the swedes. Is it not a free game? as we already qualified? Give him a chance to play solid against one of the top teams and go from there.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
A guy on the Leafs board basically said what my thoughts are towards the whole goalie debate. Especially after this game

And I don't see anybody rattled that Bernier 'had a bad game' after he stopped a bunch of easy shots and let in the only good opportunities. Including a weak second goal. It's alright to point out if you think Reims had a bad game but it makes you look like a fool if you don't point out Bernier's faults also.

Couldn't have said it any better.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Surprised about this Norway club, thought Canada would be able to run up the score (yes, I know, pretty ignorant).

I would definitely give Reimer a shot vs Sweden. Hopefully he comes up big

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Some leaf fans need to chill out a little bit.

Suddenly when Reimer is questioned we're attacking sacred ground.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Reimer is not only being questioned, he's getting thrown in the garbage by most posters.

Martin Brodeur, Gabrielle Roy, Reimer.

These names have one thing in common. They all started recent international tournaments for Canada, and they were all (s0mewhat unfairly) thrown under the bus when Canada didn't dominate every game 10-1.

The explanation is simple; its easier to blame one player, the goaltender, than to acknowledge the fact that other countries might have put a decent side together.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end it's the goalies that are going to get blame. It's just that position where any mistake is ending up in behind them. Plus being a Leaf goalie there is just an even bigger target on his back.

Anyways Canada got the win here. Just have to try and get everyone supporting the team and not caring what NHL team any of them came from.

LadyM

I ain't even mad
Mar 4, 2011
We won this game, but wasn't happy with the 3rd period.

lol and there was some sens fan saying how norway was a threat... :laugh:

Never underestimate the opponent team. :nod:

The point is they're both playing for Canada, and it should be CANADA that is the important thing, not which NHL team they play for-those arguments can be had during reg season.

I agree

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Alright Reimer let in a bad goal the last game, then a breakaway goal that you can't blame him on, and then a powerplay one timer squeaked through him. This is against a team with legitimate NHLers that had fewer but more quality opportunities. He also rebounded and stopped everything in the SO.

Bernier stopped more pucks but there was only one decent scoring chance. He let in two bad goals and got rattled a bit after the first one and looked shaky in his movement after the second.

People forget that Reimer has played very well in all of his other games and then the leaf haters find an opportunity to throw Reimer under the bus after a sub-par performance. People need to shut the hell up. If you want Canada to win then you would want to put in the best goalie and the one that has played the best and gotten the job done and that's Reimer. And to the Oils fans wanting to see Duby in.... he is not as good as Bernier or Reimer and has not played much. Why would you play him?

rs180216

Feb 9, 2008
Princeton Junction
much kudos to Norway for not giving up. Very impressed at how they are playing this tournament, really good to see them developing hockey more in that nation.

also, good job to Canada for the win.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I just want to see Dubnyk get a game to see how he fares. If he performs at the same level as Reims/Bernier, I'd give the reins to Reimer considering he's played most of the games and have Dubs back up since he's the "senior"

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Martin Brodeur, Gabrielle Roy, Reimer.

These names have one thing in common. They all started recent international tournaments for Canada, and they were all (s0mewhat unfairly) thrown under the bus when Canada didn't dominate every game 10-1.

The explanation is simple; its easier to blame one player, the goaltender, than to acknowledge the fact that other countries might have put a decent side together.

I don't think Canadians are saying other countries have not put a decent team together.

What they're saying (and every other country and fan of any NHL team would say the same) that when your goalie lets in a few weak goals and the opposing goalie stands on his head, there just might be a problem in goal.

We saw it in the US game where Canada completely dominated. We saw it in the under 18's when the US goalie was far better than the Canadian one and we saw it in the first 2 periods at the World Juniors where the Russian goalie was weak and then when he was replaced, the new goalie was good and Canada's sucked big time.

Canadians are saying their biggest weakness is goaltenders and are NOT as you're implying that they are not giving credit to other countries.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't see an issue with giving Dubnyk a shot at the goal against Sweden. It is a free game and it's worth testing. Reimer isn't a bad option either. I honestly don't think there's much of a difference between Reimer, Dubnyk or Bernier so I'm ok with whatever.

outofrange

Feb 6, 2007
Just a few things from a neutral Kings fan...

1. Bernier hasn't played since very early April and this was his first game back.
2. He plays much better when he gets more starts, as Kings fans and management saw this season.
3. I think Dubnyk is not on the same level of a Reimer/Bernier, so they shouldn't throw him into the mix so late.
4. I think they will and should go back to Reimer because he has had more of a chance of getting into a groove despite some shaky moments.
5. This is a short tournament so Canada better cross their fingers that Reimer works out his kinks or that Bernier shakes off the rust if they consider going with him.
6. Norway has played well ALL tournament and it seems as though a lot of fans are quick to forget that. It's just a fact.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Goaltending is definitely the weak spot for Canada, and it has been since 2007 tournament (2009 was decent too actually) but man, Carey Price would've been awesome.

Defense also lacks a Duncan Keith/Drew Doughty. Burns and Pietrangelo can only do so much.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Just a few things from a neutral Kings fan...

1. Bernier hasn't played since very early April and this was his first game back.
2. He plays much better when he gets more starts, as Kings fans and management saw this season.
3. I think Dubnyk is not on the same level of a Reimer/Bernier, so they shouldn't throw him into the mix so late.
4. I think they will and should go back to Reimer because he has had more of a chance of getting into a groove despite some shaky moments.
5. This is a short tournament so Canada better cross their fingers that Reimer works out his kinks or that Bernier shakes off the rust if they consider going with him.
6. Norway has played well ALL tournament and it seems as though a lot of fans are quick to forget that. It's just a fact.

I agree with all of this.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Goaltending is definitely the weak spot for Canada, and it has been since 2007 tournament (2009 was decent too actually) but man, Carey Price would've been awesome.

Defense also lacks a Duncan Keith/Drew Doughty. Burns and Pietrangelo can only do so much.

Phaneuf has been arguably Canada's best D man. And the goaltending has been fine. Even Bernier wasn't bad in this game and same with Reimer. Let's in one bad goal against the US and everybody throws him under the bus, mainly sens fans. What the hell is wrong with people.

outofrange

Feb 6, 2007
When did Bernier last play a game?

I quickly checked and it was March 29. He did go in midway when Quick was pulled on April 4 against the Sharks but yeah.

I also think that the young guys like Skinner, Tavares and Kane should be played more but I really haven't watched more than 1 and a half games to pass a real judgement so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad