World Cup: Group E: Serbia vs. Switzerland, 6/22/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Great game. Swiss have to be favorites to advance but who knows. Serbia could also draw Brazil, preventing our Brazil/Germany in R16 :(.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So Serbia now has to beat Brazil.

Even with the draw against the Swiss, a draw against Brazil wouldn't have been enough (provided that Switzerland wins their last match), so this goal chanced nothing in that sense. That high a line late in the game would have not made sense otherwise in a vacuum.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
TSN.png

Gotta be a typo, no? :laugh:

EDIT: TSN fixed it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If I was Swiss I'd be a bit embarrassed of such antics. I wouldn't even want to know what would happen in Germany if Ozil scored against Greece and unvealed a Turkish flag shirt under his jersey or something of that ilk.

I genuinely don't think they care, because it's one of those things where their fans probably want to win so bad they just don't give a shit. Mitrovic also made some comments about it before the game and everyone immediately jumped to Shaqiri's defense. In Germany's case it's a little different because you'd expect them to absolutely destroy Greece and the Turkish thing, everyone already knows there's a difference in leaders of Turkey and Kosovo, so it just isn't the same.

I also don't know how many people know this, but the Swiss-Kosovar relationship in football is strong enough that a Swiss now coaches Kosovo's team.

Shadow of Kosovo hangs over Switzerland’s crunch tie with Serbia

Good article here.

Reactions: cgf

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
If I was Swiss I'd be a bit embarrassed of such antics. I wouldn't even want to know what would happen in Germany if Ozil scored against Greece and unvealed a Turkish flag shirt under his jersey or something of that ilk.

Like when he and Gündogan sucked up to Erdogan just a few weeks ago?
search

Reactions: ehhedler

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Again with the political garbage. Nice goal but no need for the other stuff afterwards.

f*** that, politics have always been deeply intertwined with football. Both horrible & tremendous things come from this sport's connection to people on a deeper level than that of simple entertainment. My club's entire identity is built around our crosstown rivalry with the stazi team & history of fighting against state interference. That's why they refused city money to renovate the stadium & instead saw thousands of fans take time off of work to volunteer on the construction. And that bond is so much more than just football.

So nah, I loved seeing the Swiss-Albanians celebrating their goals against Serbia that way.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
**** that, politics have always been deeply intertwined with football. Both horrible & tremendous things come from this sport's connection to people on a deeper level than that of simple entertainment. My club's entire identity is built around our crosstown rivalry with the stazi team & history of fighting against state interference. That's why they refused city money to renovate the stadium & instead saw thousands of fans take time off of work to volunteer on the construction. And that bond is so much more than just football.

So nah, I loved seeing the Swiss-Albanians celebrating their goals against Serbia that way.

That would be understandable if they represented Kosovo or Albania.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

It's impossible for those Swiss players to not have those feelings. It's not like that shit was way in the past, it happened when they were kids. The Serbs of the past attempted to ethnically cleanse the region, so they had to leave.

I don't think it's anything against current Serb leaders, it's just the reality that something happened to these guys, it affected their community in Switzerland, and it had a gigantic impact on their life.

Serbia-Croatia or Serbia-Bosnia I can't even imagine what that kind of game will be like, but it's inevitable it's going to happen in the Euros. You would hope that it's in the more distant future when these things are long buried, but deep down we all know it won't. That's just the way it is and there's nothing anyone can do about it, people can't turn their feelings off.

But the country tried to ethnically cleanse their region and their families were affected. So really, it's very understandable.

Nothing against current Serbia, I'm not trying to start anything about that, those times are over. But these players had to have been affected in some way, it is impossible for that to not be the case.

It's inevitable that these games will have political ramifications. For the record this is Shaqiri's bag.

shaqiri-shows-off-custom-nike-mercurial-superfly-360-2018-world-cup-boots%2B%25282%2529.jpg

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's impossible for those Swiss players to not have those feelings. It's not like that **** was way in the past. The Serbs of the past attempted to ethnically cleanse the region, so they had to leave.

I don't think it's anything against current Serb leaders, it's just the reality that something happened to these guys, it affected their community in Switzerland, and it had a gigantic impact on their life.

Serbia-Croatia or Serbia-Bosnia I can't even imagine what that kind of game will be like, but it's inevitable it's going to happen in the Euros. You would hope that it's in the more distant future when these things are long buried, but deep down we all know it won't. That's just the way it is and there's nothing anyone can do about it, people can't turn their feelings off.

It's not about turning your feelings off, it's about behaving like a grown-up representing your country in a World Cup. Mind you, not the country whose national symbols you're showing off in your moment of triumph. Did you score the goals for Switzerland or for Albania? Do you care about your team or your personal vendetta vs Serbia? Do you have to further heat up a situation that could lead to trouble outside the stadium?

There's quite a few Swiss people of Serbian descent, too. Are Shaqiri and Xhaka playing for them or what? People are way too quick to make excuses here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

First off, kosovars who's families fled for their lives when they were young making that symbol with their hands when scoring against Serbia is not the same f***ing thing as a 3rd generation turko-german wearing a Turkish flag under his jersey in a match against greece. GTFO with that bullshit analogy. This would be like Dahoud celebrating a goal against the Saudi's by making a syrian symbol...or a goal against Syria if his family fled Assad's forces rather than the saudi-backed militias; as I don't know the details of his story.

Secondly, you don't have to abandon your heritage to be german. That's only been the policy during the worst times in our history. You don't like believing this, but millions of people around the world grow up with two hearts beating in our chest and that does not make us un-german, un-swiss, un-american, or un-wherever the f*** else.

So this "assimilation not integration" spiel you keep regurgitating is just utterly disconnected from the reality of the experience.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's not about turning your feelings off, it's about behaving like a grown-up representing your country in a World Cup. Mind you, not the country whose national symbols you're showing off in your moment of triumph. Did you score the goals for Switzerland or for Albania? Do you care about your team or your personal vendetta vs Serbia? Do you have to further heat up a situation that could lead to trouble outside the stadium?

There's quite a few Swiss people of Serbian descent, too. Are Shaqiri and Xhaka playing for them or what? People are way too quick to make excuses here.

It's possible to love two countries. And it's not like Switzerland and Kosovo hate each other or that there is some kind of contradictory issue. The countries are quite similar and it isn't like Germany and Turkey, where we have a dictatorship situation going on.

I think the game shows that 100% they care about their team. As in firstly, they obviously care about the team. My gripe is more with the idea that they don't care about Switzerland. It also shows that secondly they definitely did want to provoke Serbs and make them angry. I understand why as well, and for the record, I wanted Serbia to win as they play better football.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's pretty lazy. But every big team could use him for backup and there's no reason for a player with his inconsistent moments of super talent to waste his career playing for bad clubs.

I think it was put best earlier this month. In the CL final who would you rather replace Salah? Lallana? Or Shaqiri?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Why the f*** shouldn't the represent the country they grew up- & live in? Because bigots & xenophobes wish that they were "more Swiss"?

...as if "swiss" identity itself isn't just a hodgepodge of "other" cultures already...

Reactions: Max Money

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
First off, kosovars who's families fled for their lives when they were young making that symbol with their hands when scoring against Serbia is not the same ****ing thing as a 3rd generation turko-german wearing a Turkish flag under his jersey in a match against greece. GTFO with that bull**** analogy.

Secondly, you don't have to abandon your heritage to be german. That's only been the policy during the worst times in our history. You don't like believing this, but millions of people around the world grow up with two hearts beating in our chest and that does not make us un-german, un-swiss, un-american, or un-wherever the **** else.

So this "assimilation not integration" spiel you keep regurgitating is just utterly disconnected from the reality of the experience.

I fully know how the 'experience' is, I've lived in a few different countries myself. I don't tell anyone how to feel, I merely expect a level of behavior when you represent a country though. Don't drag your personal vendettas, ethnic hatreds, tribal grudges into that role. Keep that locked up inside or go represent your old country.

Reactions: ehhedler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad