World Cup: Group E: Serbia vs. Switzerland, 6/22/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Yes, there were similar incidents in Switzerland with 6 injuries, no police officers though.

Sport is often said to be able to unite people. In this case football is breaking up old wounds. Serbian coach compared the referee with war criminals. Said he should be sent to Den Haag. This has no place at a World Championship, I hope he'll be banned.
I agree - Sport is supposed to unite. I don't have patience for any of the political garbage. None of it.

There's plenty of blame to go around....

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Unfortunately sport is inherently political, the two nexuses are intertwined and they likely always will be.

Reactions: cgf

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The Serbian players, fans, and coaches, are the thinnest skinned group in football today. The stuff their fans chant and some of the stuff they do, should have them play every one of their NT games behind closed doors. It'd be as if German fans brought Hitler posters to game in the 1960's and sang Nazi time war songs. What Xhaka and Shaqiri did is so low on the totem pole of offensive crap that can happen at a game.

It'd be a joke if those two were suspended. Serbian players do this crap all the time and nothing happens to them.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Unfortunately sport is inherently political, the two nexuses are intertwined and they likely always will be.

Yeah, not putting our energy in the sport's ability to function for good is just conceding the sport to those who would use it to divide & agitate.

Plus it's better to have people expressing political frustration through the way they celebrate & chant, than having them express themselves violence.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad