World Cup: Group E: Brazil vs. Switzerland, 6/17/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
While I don’t particularly like Neymar, I certainly don’t care to watch 11 guys from the mid table in Germany rough him up all match either. It will only get worse against Costa Rica. They’re professionals at hacking guys down.

Let the stars be stars. I’m all for close, hard fought matches, but nobody is paying big dollars to see the star players get kicked off the pitch or grabbed every time they touch the ball.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Sure they were targeting him but he was embellishing from the jump. That very first foul where he took the first free kick of the game was a massive embellishment. So I don’t feel bad. Teams are going to target the best player. I’d have much more respect for him if he tried to play through it.

Serbia has the horses to do exactly the same thing to him. This time he just might actually lose his mind and go out in typical Neymar fashion, as we’ve seen so often.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
While I don’t particularly like Neymar, I certainly don’t care to watch 11 guys from the mid table in Germany rough him up all match either. It will only get worse against Costa Rica. They’re professionals at hacking guys down.

Let the stars be stars. I’m all for close, hard fought matches, but nobody is paying big dollars to see the star players get kicked off the pitch or grabbed every time they touch the ball.
Star? A star doesn't lob it into the box with the game on the line just outside the box.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Neymar is seriously getting blamed for not performing in his first competitive match in 3-4 months?

Wow.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Neymar is seriously getting blamed for not performing in his first competitive match in 3-4 months?

Wow.

While being kicked all game. I don't remember any World Cup or Euros game where another current top player got fouled like that.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Sure they were targeting him but he was embellishing from the jump. That very first foul where he took the first free kick of the game was a massive embellishment. So I don’t feel bad. Teams are going to target the best player. I’d have much more respect for him if he tried to play through it.

Serbia has the horses to do exactly the same thing to him. This time he just might actually lose his mind and go out in typical Neymar fashion, as we’ve seen so often.

Bolded: quoted for truth.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If you don’t think Neymar is one of the best 5 or so players in the world, I’m not sure what to tell you.

It’s only going to get worse when they expand the field. I agree they have to play through some of it, but when he’s grabbed off the ball or can barely make a move, and they don’t bother to card cynical fouls, it only encourages them to target him. You card the first clear shirt pull or grab down, and it stops. Instead they let it go all match. It looks like the early 90s NHL with dudes just grabbing on all match. If that’s how it’s called Robert Huth might need a recall.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
What's the point in having VAR if you not gonna correct a clear infraction like the one in the Swiss goal?
Holy smokes. Just no. That was a good goal. VAR for that? What is this?

VAR is for clear and ridiculous misses. Like handballs, elbows to faces, offsides, etc.

If we're going to use VAR on a small shove like that, then every single corner and free kick near the box is going to have multiple fouls.

On that play, two Brazil players were touching Swiss players with hands and elbows... does Switzerland get a penalty kick?

That was a good goal.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

Wow.

It was more lack of full match fitness to me as well. Especially being bodied like that. Training can’t replicate that type of physical test.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t have a problem with the goal. In the box, there’s going to be contact and players competing for the ball. That’s part of the game. VAR shouldn’t regulate out contact, but it should help rule on clear mistakes or when the ref can’t see what went on.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don’t have a problem with the goal. In the box, there’s going to be contact and players competing for the ball. That’s part of the game. VAR shouldn’t regulate out contact, but it should help rule on clear mistakes or when the ref can’t see what went on.
Again, Benatia, Real, Juventus.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Holy smokes. Just no. That was a good goal. VAR for that? What is this?

VAR is for clear and ridiculous misses. Like handballs, elbows to faces, offsides, etc.

If we're going to use VAR on a small shove like that, then every single corner and free kick near the box is going to have multiple fouls.

On that play, two Brazil players were touching Swiss players with hands and elbows... does Switzerland get a penalty kick?

That was a good goal.

Perfectly good goal indeed.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The fouls on Neymar were correctly called fouls but he does dribble in a way to draw contact or where contact is inevitable more than other great dribblers. It's not just opposing defenders targeting him.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
At this rate with Salah already out, Neymar certainly out soon, the let the guys foul all the time is sure working. Everytime there's a counter attack someone is trying to go for the professionnal foul with no yellows.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
So far only two referees have been decent, the Italian for Spain-Portugal in the first half, the Iranian today in the second half Mex-Ger, all others have been terrible.

Reactions: McCoy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad