GDT: Group E • May 9 • Russia 2, Finland 3 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
And u, finns, have some fun just for now, little boys, at the expense of this INCREDIBLY, UNFATHOMABLY, UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY win. You are very unlikely to get a medal at this WC anyway:)
Haha, we played our worst game in this tournament today.. If you have been watching our earlier games you cannot even start to argue with it.

Whats best in this team, it managed to pull out a vicotry even when playing a bad game! They just gain more confidence from this. :) Also this was our third or fourth comeback, so scoring first goal against us hasn't been mattering very much.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Yes i am, so you dont have to question that.
Yes, they played better than they played earlier, but still it isnt good. the players doesnt "click" with each other, and often loses the puck with som bad plays or missunderstandings.
With this team you CAN´T be satisfied when the team loses to the fins

Are you ok that they loss today, because they played better than before??

1) Don't forget that the ice is TERRIBLE in Bratislava, which accounts for many inexplicable puck losses

2) It always hurts to lose, particularly to a clearly inferior team, but I can't say - and here I'm beginning to repeat myself - that I'm totally unhappy with today's effort and performance: it was good offensively and in goal, but poor defense and failure to capitalize on numerous chances let us down.

3) Besides we are playing canada in the QF. Isn't it great??? I can't wait to see this game. It must be something special, particularly given bad blood between hitchcok and bykov.

So, cheer up, mate: it's only just beginning!!

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
no, my little friend, u need to look at them again:!
You like to use that word "little"

TrollHunterStill.jpg

ZemgsG

Feb 26, 2009
Hey PeacEnforcer, once again making stupid "objective" comments how game did go down. Think our chances of getting on top 4 are pretty much better at this point than yours. Or did Norway and Canada suddenly switch names or something?

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Sorry maybe bad english

here in sweden they taking about to lose to team canada on purpose so sweden wont meet russia in qf

Well, that figures! Swedes are a very, very practical-minded team: that's how they won the Olympics in 2006, remember? So no surprises here: if u can play against a weaker opponent, why jump out of your pants to get a stronger one?? Logical? I guess so.
But canadians have a different logic, I suppose. So as things stand now our odds of playing canada in the QF are close to 100%.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Well, that figures! Swedes are a very, very practical-minded team: that's how they won the Olympics in 2006, remember? So no surprises here: if u can play against a weaker opponent, why jump out of your pants to get a stronger one?? Logical? I guess so.
But canadians have a different logic, I suppose. So as things stand now our odds of playing canada in the QF are close to 100%.

Thats it. Im going to make a bet.

Fulcrum

no, my little friend, u need to look at them again: there were at least dozen 90-100% opportunities, when the puck did not go in, or our forwards indeed played somewhat sloppily at the very last moment. But unlike in previous games, there WERE these scoring chances and there WAS a much better passing and teamplay.
But if all u want to do is ALWAYS rip into Russia, whatever happens, that's your choice,but then u r not a hockey fan, just a biased Finnish national. That's how I see it. Because a true fan of hockey sees gold when it's gold, and sees **** when it's ****, rather than see only one or the other depending on your personal attitudes to a specific country!

I am looking at the way Russia SHOULD be playing with their roster, and the way they ARE playing. They Should be playing much better, even with the mediocre defense. They Should be scoring more goals.. but for whatever reason we are not seeing it.

I have a feeling that, although Bykov is still a good coach- he is loosing influence on the team and is not able to motivate them and control them. But the best representative is the result.

It might not even be his fault, but the fact that it's not working still stands.

Russia is still capable of surprises, but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009

True, but at this point id rather face this individual russian team than the german team. Datsuyk was somewhat last year that saved russia but there is no Datsuyk this year.

Fulcrum

To my understanding, this is the first time Russia or Soviet Union have ever lost on May 9th (WW2 Victory day).

Edit: nevermind- they lost in 1999 to Sweden.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
no, my little friend, u need to look at them again: there were at least dozen 90-100% opportunities, when the puck did not go in, or our forwards indeed played somewhat sloppily at the very last moment. But unlike in previous games, there WERE these scoring chances and there WAS a much better passing and teamplay.
But if all u want to do is ALWAYS rip into Russia, whatever happens, that's your choice,but then u r not a hockey fan, just a biased Finnish national. That's how I see it. Because a true fan of hockey sees gold when it's gold, and sees **** when it's ****, rather than see only one or the other depending on your personal attitudes to a specific country!

Listen buddyboy, that kind of condescending attitude won't fly well when you're younger than to the person you're trying to insult. The fact the Lassila didn't have to make any highlight reel saves speaks volumes of the Russian players effort/play out there. Is it really that hard for you to admit that Bykov's regressed as a national team coach since 2009?

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Hey PeacEnforcer, once again making stupid "objective" comments how game did go down. Think our chances of getting on top 4 are pretty much better at this point than yours. Or did Norway and Canada suddenly switch names or something?

Only a finn can call demand for objectivity "stupid". It must be a cultural thing, I suppose.

As for the future at these WC and canada/norway stuff - I think no need to waste time on futile argument now: we'll talk on that post-game, when there's something of substance to say, not just YAK.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
True, but at this point id rather face this individual russian team than the german team. Datsuyk was somewhat last year that saved russia but there is no Datsuyk this year.

Oh, really? Then just imagine how lucky are the Swedes that u are not the one who is calling the shots for them!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Where the Russian posters at? ******* fairweather fans, at least us Finns are posting whether we suck or play well. :p:

And pouskin74, Russia did suck. :laugh:

Congrats to Finland. This is a terrible Russian team, but they played better against Finland than any other team they played. The way I saw it, Finland survived what looked like an onslaught in the first two periods, but, thanks to the terrible goaltending of Barulin (13 shots, two goals surrendered, in the first two periods), Finland found themselves tied going into the 3rd. The second goal that Barulin gave up was so soft that it was a psychological killer! Based on the play up to that point, it didn't seem as though Finland deserved to be tied with Russia, but sometimes you get a few breaks!

The third period was conservatively and evenly played by both teams, but once they went to the shootout, anybody who watched the RUS-GER game and saw how Barulin was embarrassed by the German shooter on a penalty shot in the third period suspected that the game was already decided. Credit to Lassila for stoning Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, neither of whom looked too inspired, but the two Finnish shooters beat Barulin much too easily. They could have scored on him from the Blue Line! Again, congrats to the Finnish posters, but don't exult too much over beating a team that barely survived the storm against Slovenia.

ZZM

Nov 16, 2009
Stockholm
1) Don't forget that the ice is TERRIBLE in Bratislava, which accounts for many inexplicable puck losses

2) It always hurts to lose, particularly to a clearly inferior team, but I can't say - and here I'm beginning to repeat myself - that I'm totally unhappy with today's effort and performance: it was good offensively and in goal, but poor defense and failure to capitalize on numerous chances let us down.

3) Besides we are playing canada in the QF. Isn't it great??? I can't wait to see this game. It must be something special, particularly given bad blood between hitchcok and bykov.

So, cheer up, mate: it's only just beginning!!

1) Yes i read that but the ice is bad for both teams,but yes some chanses or turnovers where lost because of the ice
2) -
3) I agree , i prefer the canadiens in the qf, because iknow team russia will give 100% full game.

Lets hope so!

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
It was pretty funny why Russia didnt pull their goalie at the end? afraid of losing?

Looks like Bykov is under pressure and simply doesnt have gutts even though it should have been obvious.

You cant seourisly give those goals on barulin :D deflection infront and on the other one he was screened by russian defence.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Listen buddyboy, that kind of condescending attitude won't fly well when you're younger than to the person you're trying to insult. The fact the Lassila didn't have to make any highlight reel saves speaks volumes of the Russian players effort/play out there. Is it really that hard for you to admit that Bykov's regressed as a national team coach since 2009?

1) No need to be so sensitive: there was not a shred of offence in what I said

2) Saying that Lassila did not have to make crucial saves in this game is like saying that Africa is a country. That coupled, with the puck refusing to goin in did the trick for u today. So don't u get overenthusiastic over this result, since the game was won for u by the keeper.

3) But I do agree with your last statement: it's actually THE REASON why many in Russia want this team to lose: this the only one to get rid of Bykov and install a different coach to lead us to the Olympics in Sochi.
What I disagree with, though, is that it had anything to do with today's game: it was won by your keeper virtually alone.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Oh, really? In all honesty, i can't recollect the last time we had SO MANY 100% opportunities against any team?! We should have scored at least 10 goals, but for your goalie (Ovechkin alone should've scored 3) - but the puck just would not go in, invariably finding your keeper's body or, at times, he played really well.
It also says tons about your adequacy and common sense when u pour accolades on your goalie for great performance and bash the attacking team for "poor effort". If u are reasonable and adequate, u can't seat on both chairs: today's victory is 10000% kudos to Lassilla. He bought u this game almost single-handedly.

But as I said it's basically what I wanted:
1) I saw a clearly improved Russian team, playing much better team hockey and creating dozens of scoring chances, however still with problems in defense.

2) Now we got a chance of playing Canadians in the QF to have a second go at avenging our vancouver loss (the first minor one was a 5-2 win at the last worlds and the last should happen in Sochi). It's gonna be verrry interesting, whatever the outcome!

And u, finns, have some fun just for now, little boys, at the expense of this INCREDIBLY, UNFATHOMABLY, UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY win. You are very unlikely to get a medal at this WC anyway:)

Wow, I really have to say that you are by far the most spiteful and arrogant person on these forums that I've met so far. Haven't seen homerism gone that far before either. You take every criticism someone says about team Russia as a personal insult and then go ahead to bash team Finland/Canada/Czech.

I understand that you're Russian and want Russia to win, but please at least try to have some manners, when discussing with others. I don't see Finland winning a medal either, but that's just the kind of information you should keep to yourself unless you want to upset every other person reading this thread. Anyway good luck against Sweden/Canada.

Fulcrum

It was pretty funny why Russia didnt pull their goalie at the end? afraid of losing?

Looks like Bykov is under pressure and simply doesnt have gutts even though it should have been obvious.

Germans looked tired to me last game. I think his name is Wolfe, he said that they were tired since the goal for them was to peak in the pre-quals.

One hope I have, is that the Russian coaches have been talking that they were preparing their players' conditions to peak in the playoffs. We'll see if what they said was true soon enough.

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
Only a finn can call demand for objectivity "stupid". It must be a cultural thing, I suppose.

As for the future at these WC and canada/norway stuff - I think no need to waste time on futile argument now: we'll talk on that post-game, when there's something of substance to say, not just YAK.

Now now, kid keep it down please.

It was good entertaining game and while refs screwed the first period for the Finns, The Ruskies pretty much screwed it for themselves like they have always done.

This years Russian team pretty much resembles any Russian team after the break down of the Communist party in Russia. They have not been able to find any consistent team effort after the threat of communist administration was eliminated. All players play for themselves only to make themselves look good in international tournaments. Just look how Kovalchoke played today lol.

Finland has much more potential to win the tournament than Russia has.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Wow, I really have to say that you are by far the most spiteful and arrogant person on these forums that I've met so far. Haven't seen homerism gone that far before either. You take every criticism someone says about team Russia as a personal insult and then go ahead to bash team Finland/Canada/Czech.

I understand that you're Russian and want Russia to win, but please at least try to have some manners, when discussing with others. I don't see Finland winning a medal either, but that's just the kind of information you should keep to yourself unless you want to upset every other person reading this thread. Anyway good luck against Sweden/Canada.

I think u are going way overboard with your accusations. Your assessment of the game struck me as bewilderingly subjective and biased, so I offered my arguments against it. And it's actually what I expect from a fan, not a national of any country: to provide SUBSTANCE to what they say, rather than just blurt out what occurs to you. U made some very strong negative points against Russia's performance without providing a shred of argument. I call this "opinionated". If u r so polite and well-bred as follows from your post above, then please oblige me and come up with some argument of substance to prove your point, ok?

Fulcrum

Now now, kid keep it down please.

It was good entertaining game and while refs screwed the first period for the Finns, The Ruskies pretty much screwed it for themselves like they have always done.

This years Russian team pretty much resembles any Russian team after the break down of the Communist party in Russia. They have not been able to find any consistent team effort after the threat of communist administration was eliminated. All players play for themselves only to make themselves look good in international tournaments. Just look how Kovalchoke played today lol.

Finland has much more potential to win the tournament than Russia has.

Seriously?... way to loose your credibility- good job

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Wow. Finland wins against Russia in SO with Lärking being the referee. That truly shows how Russia must find their way back into team play again. If you are to compete for the medals you CAN'T play like this against a team with Finland's defense and goaltending (although Lassila was good today). That is not the work of a contender for the medals.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Again, congrats to the Finnish posters, but don't exult too much over beating a team that barely survived the storm against Slovenia.

Oh trust me, Finns have seen enough from the hockey team over the years to know to ecpect the worst every time they step on the ice (which should be evident by the posts here). :laugh:

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
I am looking at the way Russia SHOULD be playing with their roster, and the way they ARE playing. They Should be playing much better, even with the mediocre defense. They Should be scoring more goals.. but for whatever reason we are not seeing it.

I have a feeling that, although Bykov is still a good coach- he is loosing influence on the team and is not able to motivate them and control them. But the best representative is the result.

It might not even be his fault, but the fact that it's not working still stands.

Russia is still capable of surprises, but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

U have a valid point here. But also remember that Bykov was immersed in his club's affairs in the KHL until a few days before the WC - so he simply had no time to prepare the team properly.
Actually, there's heated debate in Russia about Bykov and Zacharkin with many demanding their sculp (which started long before this WC: people can't forgive them Vancouver blaming - and in many ways reasonably - that disaster entirely on them).

So, indeed there's no denying that Russia should be playing much better with the resources and talent we have, but ...it's also unquestionable that we've made some strides since the beginning of this tournment (for example, the game against GErmany was absolutely THE WORST MATCH invoving a Russian national team, at least the worst that I could think of - I watched it in a state of absolute shock: never saw a slower and more disjointed group of players on the same ice). But, again, undeniably, since then we've made some considerable progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese