GDT: Group E • May 9 • Russia 2, Finland 3 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Qualifying Round • Group E
flag_128.jpg
Versus-logo_1.jpg
flag_128.jpg

May 9, 2011 • 16:15 CET • 10:15 AM EDT

OndrejNepelaArena.jpg

Ondrej Nepela Arena, Bratislava, Slovakia

Russia
Confirmed lineup.

Left Wing | Center | Right Wing
25 Danis Zaripov​
|
42 Sergei Zinoviev​
|
95 Alexei Morozov (C)
|-

71 Ilya Kovalchuk (A)
|
23 Alexei Tereschenko​
|
47 Alexander Radulov (A)
|-

8 Alexander Ovechkin​
|
21 Konstantin Gorovikov​
|
61 Maxim Afinogenov​
|-

41 Nikolai Kulyomin​
|
55 Alexei Kaigorodov​
|
49 Yevgeniy Artyukhin​
|-

Left Defense | Right Defense
44 Nikolai Belov​
|
5 Ilya Nikulin​
|
-​
|
27 Vitaliy Atyushov​
|
51 Fyodor Tyutin​
|
7 Dmitriy Kalinin​
|
22 Konstantin Korneyev​
|
-​
|
43 Dmitriy Kulikov​
|
74 Alexei Yemelin​
|
-​
|

Starting Goalie | Backup Goalie
84 Konstantin Barulin​
|
83 Vasiliy Koshechkin​
|
-​

Scratched | Reason
G 20 Yevgeniy Nabokov|
Healthy​
|-
R 91 Vladimir Tarasenko |
Healthy​
|-

Finland
Confirmed lineup.

Left Wing | Center | Right Wing
15 Tuomo Ruutu (A)
|
9 Mikko Koivu (C)
|
37 Mika Pyörälä​
|-
71 Leo Komarov​
|
39 Niko Kapanen​
|
50 Juhamatti Aaltonen​
|-
20 Janne Pesonen​
|
26 Jarkko Immonen​
|
64 Mikael Granlund​
|-
24 Jani Lajunen​
|
29 Petteri Nokelainen​
|
40 Antti Pihlström​
|-

Left Defense | Right Defense
28 Anssi Salmela​
|
18 Sami Lepistö​
|
-​
|
41 Pasi Puistola​
|
4 Ossi Väänänen​
|
19 Jyrki Välivaara​
|
21 Janne Niskala​
|
-​
|
5 Lasse Kukkonen (A)
|
6 Topi Jaakola​
|
-​
|

Starting Goalie | Backup Goalie
31 Petri Vehanen​
|
35 Teemu Lassila​
|
-​

Scratched | Reason
G 30 Niko Hovinen|
Healthy​
|-
L 47 Janne Lahti|
Healthy​
|-

OFFICIALS | -
wch.gif
Danny Kurmann|Referee
wse.gif
Christer Lärking|Referee
wca.gif
Chris Carlson|Linesman
wca.gif
Kiel Murchison|Linesman

Last edited:

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Janne Lahti will not be playing. Jani Lajunen will take his place today.

Why no Joensuu is just beyond me ... But I've learned to stop expecting anything intelligent from Jalonen.

Russia should take this game easily, 6-1 is my quess. Let's just hope Artjuhin doesn't injure more players than he already has :rant:

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
I want us to lose on purpose so as to play against Canada in the QF (I believe the odds are good for Canada to finish 1st in their group, even though the Swedes may disagree. But so far Sweden has failed to impress, which is surprising because a couple of times we played against them during the Eurotour they looked pretty menacing, whereas we were shaky and imbalanced. That's why it's all the more surprising that the Swedes looked poor at the last Eurotour, the Czech games, and do not seem to pick up their game as yet).
We must avenge Vancouver's loss, even though it is impossible to fully achieve until Sochi. But the more we beat Canadians, the better. It's always a nice feeling:)
Go, Russia!

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I reckon Russia will win.

Not because they outplay Finland, but because Finland needs 49 shots for 1 goal.
To get that, Russia will have at least 20 shots and 2 goals.

So Finland to control the game, be the better team - but be unable to score enough goals.

ZemgsG

Feb 26, 2009

Not because they outplay Finland, but because Finland needs 49 shots for 1 goal.

So Finland to control the game, be the better team - but be unable to score enough goals.

In nutshell that's how it goes down tonight pretty much :(

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011

Yeah, right: and when exactly was the last time Finland controlled the game or was the better team against Russia???
It is 2011, not 2004 or 06, my friend. Don't indulge in wishful thinking - it won't do u any good:)
On the other hand, I don't mind losing to Finland this time - only to play Canada in the QF. That would be very motivational.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Yeah, right: and when exactly was the last time Finland controlled the game or was the better team against Russia???
It is 2011, not 2004 or 06, my friend. Don't indulge in wishful thinking - it won't do u any good:)

Losing to Germany, conceding 4 by relegated Slovenia..

Both lost to the Czechs, but Finland outshot them 32:25, Czechs outshot the Russians
Both narrowly beat Slovakia, Finns outshot them 35:28 , Slovaks outshot the Russians 32:31

This Russian team has not impressed, does not look like a team. Has all the firepower and offensive talent in the world but does not have remotely as good a system or game as the Finnish team.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Finland wins this one. Aaltonen gets the hatrick and Artjuhin gets thrown out of the game after he does something fishy. You heard it from me first!

Seriously, I haven't been impressed by team Russia so Finland has a good chance of winning this one.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Losing to Germany, conceding 4 by relegated Slovenia..

Both lost to the Czechs, but Finland outshot them 32:25, Czechs outshot the Russians
Both narrowly beat Slovakia, Finns outshot them 35:28 , Slovaks outshot the Russians 32:31

This Russian team has not impressed, does not look like a team. Has all the firepower and offensive talent in the world but does not have remotely as good a system or game as the Finnish team.

It's all circumstancial evidence. The fact remains
1) as of late we have got into the habit of struggling against minnows:(( So the results against germany, denmark and slovenia are not suprising at all.
2) We always elevate our game a notch or two when playing against strong nations.
3) We've been very good and consistent against the Finns in almost all our previous encounters over the last 4 years.
4) Our lineup is visibly more impressive than yours.

And only in one aspect u hit the nail on the head: our system at this particular tournament leaves much to be desired, which is totaly Bykov and Zacharkin's fault, cause they were too busy in the KHL playoff until just a few days before the worlds:((

Having said that, our game is improving slowly but surely (which was evident in the showdowns against the Czechs and Slovaks - not even remotely the best of our performance, but still by far better than the nightmares against the minnows) and there's every chance that we'll be in tiptop form or approaching that right for the decisive games.

Tw149

Feb 22, 2010
Artjuhin probably fighting Granlund :help:

I really hope Finland would just forfeit this meaningless match.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
On the other hand, I don't mind losing to Finland this time - only to play Canada in the QF. That would be very motivational.

Why? this is nonsense, Canada would knock you out. Russia has chocked against them so many times and im not impressed with the russian team this year.

Anyhow Im expecting a thight game, can go either so ill give the edge to fin 3-2.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
I really hope one of the finns take a cheapshot on Artyukhin.

Jukka Jalonen should pin 1000€ to the wall and say whoever takes the dirty ****er out can have the money.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Im waiting for physichal game

I hope ruutu is going to deliver again! ;)

SerbianHabs

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow,Russia
50/50 match, I had hope Russia would show up against the Czechs, that match left a lot to be desired. Russia so far in this tournament has yet to defeat any strong team.

Slovenia 6-4(Relegated)
Slovakia 4-3(Eliminated in Qualification Round)
Denmark(4-3(Eliminated in Qualification Round)

This is really the final chance to receive a confidence booster.
In the picture perfect world Russia would defeat Finland and Czechs would defeat the Germans giving Russia second place. Most likely it will be 3-1 Finland and Russia facing off against Canada :shakehead

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Lets just say that if Artjuchin harms any of our players intentionally, Kovalchuk will be taken out.

Anyway I guess he just wants some atention so lets leave him to his own value.

SerbianHabs

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow,Russia
Why? this is nonsense, Canada would knock you out. Russia has chocked against them so many times and im not impressed with the russian team this year.

Anyhow Im expecting a thight game, can go either so ill give the edge to fin 3-2.
?
Last 5 meetings.
QF Russia 5-2 Canada 2010 IHWC
QF Russia 3-7 Canada 2010 Olympics
F Russia 2-1 Canada 2009 IHWC
F Russia 5-4 Canada 2008 IHWC
QF Russia 2-0 Canada 2006 Olympics

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

I agree that wanting to play against Canada doesn't make much sense, Canada looks stronger than Russia this year. But stating that Russia has choked against them so often doesn't make much sense either. Yes, they lost in the 2010 Olympics, but they beat them in the World Championship the last three years in a row and in the 2006 Olympics as well. Winning four of the last five games is hardly choking.
edit: a bit late

I'd say this game is up in the air, could go either way. The Czechs were in control against Russia, but they also had timely scoring, something Finland didn't have so far.

If Germany makes it into overtime against the Czechs I'd be fine with a Russian win, because it would put Germany in second place. If they lose against the Czechs I'd prefer Russia not getting more than two points ;)

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011

Well, actually since the time of our revival (2006-2007) we have beaten them 4 times out of 5 in all major tournaments.
Not to mention, that genetically not only are we not afraid of them or have ever been, but we aslo have some extra emotional drive when playing them. Much like Czechs when playing against us, I suppose:)

Last edited:

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
I agree that wanting to play against Canada doesn't make much sense, Canada looks stronger than Russia this year. But stating that Russia has choked against them so often doesn't make much sense either. Yes, they lost in the 2010 Olympics, but they beat them in the World Championship the last three years in a row and in the 2006 Olympics as well. Winning four of the last five games is hardly choking.
edit: a bit late

I'd say this game is up in the air, could go either way. The Czechs were in control against Russia, but they also had timely scoring, something Finland didn't have so far.

If Germany makes it into overtime against the Czechs I'd be fine with a Russian win, because it would put Germany in second place. If they lose against the Czechs I'd prefer Russia not getting more than two points ;)

We, Russians, ALWAYS WANT to play Canada - any time, any day, make no mistake about it. But what happened in Vancouver only doubles our desire this time to kick their *****, even though it won't be full redemption until Sochi. But as I said before: any time we beat Canada, it feels nice: 'cause Canadians think too much of themselves hockey-wise.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Fine ill give you that one, but im sure that ud rather face an easier opponent than canada at this stage.

I guess the choking came to my mind after watching last years final. :)

SerbianHabs

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow,Russia
Fine ill give you that one, but im sure that ud rather face an easier opponent than canada at this stage.

I guess the choking came to my mind after watching last years final. :)

This Russian team is useless, Elimination by either Canada or USA followed by Bykov being fired is a good bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad