GDT: Group E • May 9 • Russia 2, Finland 3 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
:handclap: Respect to the Finns, they came back after a 2-0 deficit and Lassila showed a world class performance today! He had some big saves also against Ovechkin!

Now it depends on the game between the Czechs and Germans if they can hold the second place in their group. If the Germans don't win in regular time Finland is second and plays the quarterfinal against Norway. I think in this case they have good chances to reach the semifinal.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Mikko Koivu has such clean penalty shots. But shouldn't the "Mats Sundin" he/they do been scouted by now?

Tw149

Feb 22, 2010
Didn't see the match. Did the giant ruskie crack skulls this time?

Finland's a beast in shootouts :handclap:

ZZM

Nov 16, 2009
Stockholm
Bad game again from Russia. They hade the chance with 6min pp in 1 per to score a 3-d goal,but every pp was really bad.

Russian d-men are really weak, and often make big misstakes in d-zon, with or whitout the puck..

Also maybe they should make som changes in the lineup?

Congrats to the Finnish sisu.

As a Russian fan, next game is a "now or never" from a big disaster

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
I was really surprised by how great Lassila played, especially after the awful Germany game. I was also surprised by how bad team Russia played they didn't really play as a team at all. Maybe they are just waiting for team Canada ?

Oh, really? In all honesty, i can't recollect the last time we had SO MANY 100% opportunities against any team?! We should have scored at least 10 goals, but for your goalie (Ovechkin alone should've scored 3) - but the puck just would not go in, invariably finding your keeper's body or, at times, he played really well.
It also says tons about your adequacy and common sense when u pour accolades on your goalie for great performance and bash the attacking team for "poor effort". If u are reasonable and adequate, u can't seat on both chairs: today's victory is 10000% kudos to Lassilla. He bought u this game almost single-handedly.

But as I said it's basically what I wanted:
1) I saw a clearly improved Russian team, playing much better team hockey and creating dozens of scoring chances, however still with problems in defense.

2) Now we got a chance of playing Canadians in the QF to have a second go at avenging our vancouver loss (the first minor one was a 5-2 win at the last worlds and the last should happen in Sochi). It's gonna be verrry interesting, whatever the outcome!

And u, finns, have some fun just for now, little boys, at the expense of this INCREDIBLY, UNFATHOMABLY, UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY win. You are very unlikely to get a medal at this WC anyway:)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Mikko Koivu has such clean penalty shots. But shouldn't the "Mats Sundin" he/they do been scouted by now?

Even if you know what he i gonna do its just impossible to stop if Koivu gets it right

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
And u, finns, have some fun just for now, little boys, at the expense of this INCREDIBLY, UNFATHOMABLY, UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY win. You are very unlikely to get a medal at this WC anyway:)

To the Russian commander: Nuts!

Norway is in the QFs so hell has already frozen over. Anything can happen in these kinds of tournaments if your team does not decide to fold over and fade away.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Bad game again from Russia. They hade the chance with 6min pp in 1 per to score a 3-d goal,but every pp was really bad.

Russian d-men are really weak, and often make big misstakes in d-zon, with or whitout the puck..

Also maybe they should make som changes in the lineup?

Congrats to the Finnish sisu.

As a Russian fan, next game is a "now or never" from a big disaster

If u are indeed a "russian fan" how can u say it was a "bad game", especially if u saw our previous games at this WC??????????????????
This was hands down our best game so far with a myriad of scoring opprotunities which unfortunately failed to materialize.
U have to be OJBECTIVE and not give in to public opinion. Or, at least, substantiate your position. I honestly, can't see how u can do it, bearing in mind our previous effort during this tournament.

PS: the only beef of course is DEFENSE, which is still poor. But overall performance, goalting and team play was unquestinably the best so far.
Don't get it how u can say such things, being a russian?! And also being a hockey fan?!

ZZM

Nov 16, 2009
Stockholm
just to let you now, in sweden they taking about to let the canadiens win, so they wont meet russia in qf...

to even talk about it to a team like canada (who most of the times beat sweden) shows that the swedes belive ALOT in them selfs... Canada isnt austria...

happysquirrel

May 9, 2011
If u are reasonable and adequate, u can't seat on both chairs: today's victory is 10000% kudos to Lassilla. He bought u this game almost single-handedly.

Lassila didn't make any magical saves, but his play was solid. Russian forwards, on the other hand, were very weak in their attemps. They should have scored from those chances, but their solutions were clumsy -- no magical saves were needed. The whole Russian team played weak, which is the only reason Finland came back after 0-2 situation. If I was rooting for Russia, I'd be very worried at this point.

Charlie Milles*

I can order beer and say hello in 13 different languages.
THUMBS_UP_MAN_small.jpg

Good for you, bro.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
You are very unlikely to get a medal at this WC anyway:)
Maybe but Russia is going to join the same club.

Russia's had 6 games to develop their game and that's the best what it looks like with so many superstars? Ovie and Kovie were pure floaters out there plus the defense is in trouble when you put some pressure on it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If u are indeed a "russian fan" how can u say it was a "bad game", especially if u saw our previous games at this WC??????????????????
This was hands down our best game so far with a myriad of scoring opprotunities which unfortunately failed to materialize.

You need to take a look at those scoring opportunities again, most of them were created by individual errors by Finns or individual efforts, not via creative team play from Russia.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
just to let you now, in sweden they taking about to let the canadiens win, so they wont meet russia in qf...

to even talk about it to a team like canada (who most of the times beat sweden) shows that the swedes belive ALOT in them selfs... Canada isnt austria...

I'm sorry I don't get your point: what exactly do u mean?

Fulcrum

U have to be OJBECTIVE and not give in to public opinion. Or, at least, substantiate your position. I honestly, can't see how u can do it, bearing in mind our previous effort during this tournament.

PS: the only beef of course is DEFENSE, which is still poor. But overall performance, goalting and team play was unquestinably the best so far.
Don't get it how u can say such things, being a russian?! And also being a hockey fan?!

I disagree. It was a bad overall game by Russia. There were moments when they played well, but overall the key components were very weak, and unacceptable at this stage.

Beginning of the game was good, but:

-Power play was disastrous big time.

-The attacks were sporadic except ZZM line.

-There were many times when Russian forwards collided- no cohesion there at all.

-Afinogenov missed two open netters, time to swap him or Kulyomin on the 3rd line.

-Good game by the Finns to pull themselves together after a horrible 1st period.

The most worrying thing is there is no chemistry on 3 of the 4 lines. Coaches have failed so far to make it work.

ZZM

Nov 16, 2009
Stockholm
U have to be OJBECTIVE and not give in to public opinion. Or, at least, substantiate your position. I honetly, can't see how u can't do it, bearing in mind our previous effort during this tournament.

Yes i am, so you dont have to question that.
Yes, they played better than they played earlier, but still it isnt good. the players doesnt "click" with each other, and often loses the puck with som bad plays or missunderstandings.
With this team you CAN´T be satisfied when the team loses to the fins

Are you ok that they loss today, because they played better than before??

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
You need to take a look at those scoring opportunities again, most of them were created by individual errors by Finns or individual efforts, not via creative team play from Russia.

no, my little friend, u need to look at them again: there were at least dozen 90-100% opportunities, when the puck did not go in, or our forwards indeed played somewhat sloppily at the very last moment. But unlike in previous games, there WERE these scoring chances and there WAS a much better passing and teamplay.
But if all u want to do is ALWAYS rip into Russia, whatever happens, that's your choice,but then u r not a hockey fan, just a biased Finnish national. That's how I see it. Because a true fan of hockey sees gold when it's gold, and sees **** when it's ****, rather than see only one or the other depending on your personal attitudes to a specific country!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad