Euro: Group D: ENG vs. CZE, SCO vs. CRO, 6/22/2021

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Finland, yes, but I still don't see what's extremely unlikely about a result in the Spain-Slovakia game (especially since Spain can't rely on a draw to advance because they could finish 4th in the group) combined with a Sweden draw or win. Less than 50-50, sure, but I certainly wouldn't go locking up travel plans based on it not happening.

If Spain got a draw, the third place team in that group would have a better GD than Ukraine. Unless Poland won by more than one goal, Slovakia/Sweden/Poland would have better GD than Ukraine. I'm pretty sure there's no way Poland would ever beat Sweden by more than one goal.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
If Spain got a draw, the third place team in that group would have a better GD than Ukraine. Unless Poland won by more than one goal, Slovakia/Sweden/Poland would have better GD than Ukraine. I'm pretty sure there's no way Poland would ever beat Sweden by more than one goal.
Right, that's why I said a result. Either a Spain win or a Slovakia win puts the group's 3rd place finisher below Ukraine if Poland doesn't win (unless Spain wins in a one goal game that's higher scoring than 3-2, then Slovakia would win a tiebreaker on total goals scored).

I'm not sure what Poland winning by 2 or more goals has to do with anything - Sweden's already at 4 points if it loses. A Poland win guarantees the 3rd place team from group E advances (either the winner of Slovakia/Spain would have >4 points and win the group, or a draw would see Slovakia finish 3rd with 4 points and Spain would be eliminated in 4th)

EDIT: And I suspect Sweden will not want to finish third in the group and play Belgium, so I doubt they lie down for Poland...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So it'd be either Germany v England, Germany v Netherlands or Germany v Switzerland IF Germany avoids defeat tomorrow. All three match-ups with a ton of history. I know which one I'd prefer.

Netherlands or Belgium. Depends on whether Ukraine or Group E's 3rd place team advances.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That second half was not fun to watch. Congrats England. Hope our third place finish doesn't get us a crazy hard opponent. I was hoping for 2nd... congrats Croatia... well deserved

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
That second half was not fun to watch. Congrats England. Hope our third place finish doesn't get us a crazy hard opponent. I was hoping for 2nd... congrats Croatia... well deserved

Likely winner of Group E which could be one of Sweden, Spain or Slovakia, don’t think Poland can win their group but that one is very much up in the air

Reactions: Czechboy

member 305909

I wouldnt be surprised if it was another 20+ years until we see Scotland in a major tournament again. Let's remember that they got here through the backdoor. I mean that path-system.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I could accept it if we'd had a real go and set up well, but we literally gave Croatia free control of the midfield and played to their strengths.

Tactics were spot on against England but totally wrong in the home games.

member 305909

Finland is now out with 99% certainty. Ukraine's slim hopes depend on Sweden not losing to Poland and Spain hammering Slovakia with at least two goals or Slovakia beating Spain but I wouldn't count on that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope England goes out in the next round. I have no rooting interest in this tournament other than England to lose as soon as possible. How Southgate has treated Sancho is despicable. He’s the best English player alongside Kane, and not only is he not playing, he’s being insulted by Southgate when he’s a back up for much worse players like Saka, let alone Sterling, Foden, and Grealish.

Reactions: luiginb

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Finland is now out with 99% certainty. Ukraine's slim hopes depend on Sweden not losing to Poland and Spain hammering Slovakia with at least two goals or Slovakia beating Spain but I wouldn't count on that.

Spain only has to beat Slovakia in that part of the scenario, Ukraine wins a tiebreaker with Slovakia if Slovakia loses by one to Spain unless they score 3 or more goals in the loss.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Saka is just as good as Sancho. While Sancho has a better final ball for now, Saka can drop deeper and link play, while also being a much bigger threat running in behind. Saka and Grealish have been their best offensive players this tournament. Going Saka - Grealish - Sancho could work though but Sterling offers a lot off the ball. It absolutely isn’t a given that Sancho should start.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Saka deservedly man of the match. Second half wasn't great, content with 1-0 and the clean sheet. Maguire looked good for his first game since early May.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I’ll take goals and assists, the metrics that influence wins and losses. Sancho is proven better. It’s not even a debate. Comparing him to Saka is insulting.

You and the ones that gave Saka this accolade for meaningless nonsense like take one and dribbles can prefer him instead. I didn’t say others must adopt my opinion. But it’s still 2 goals in 3 games. England doesn’t score goals. I hope they continue to not score.

Reactions: luiginb

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saka is just as good as Sancho. While Sancho has a better final ball for now, Saka can drop deeper and link play, while also being a much bigger threat running in behind. Saka and Grealish have been their best offensive players this tournament. Going Saka - Grealish - Sancho could work though but Sterling offers a lot off the ball. It absolutely isn’t a given that Sancho should start.

Insane. Saka couldn’t lace Sancho’s boots. Do I need to post the stats?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Saka was very impressive & PB is ridiculous...but if you can get Sancho integrated, that unlocks another level for england.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland

Have you ever considered trying not to be such a massive homer?

I think England are mad not playing Sancho more, but you come across as being so petulant with these things. Same story when Shesterkin was allegedly robbed of the Calder despite being well down the list.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The Bundesliga isn’t a very hard league to score in. Werner scored 6 PL goals as a regular starter after lighting up the Bundesliga. Not comparable. As I said I also think Sancho has a better final ball, while Saka is better in other areas (so looking blindly at stats would be foolish especially considering Saka spent half the season at LB). Not sure I would pick Saka but they are definately on a similar level. Even Spurs fans seem to agree with me. Grealish and Foden are probably on the same level as Sancho for now as well.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad