Euro: Group D: ENG vs. CZE, SCO vs. CRO, 6/22/2021

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You think I was unaware that Werner was a product of Nagelsmann? Look at my post history. I said when he signed for Chelsea that he won’t ever hit 15+ Non penalty goals because he won’t have as much space to run in behind in the PL. And yes, I do believe the Bundesliga is an easy league to score in compared to every other top 5 league. There is not a single quality defensive unit in the entire league and most teams press incredibly high.

So now you agree he's a product of Nagelsmann but thats somehow an indictment on the Bundesliga? How does that make any sense?

And Leipzig had the same goals allowed per game as Chelsea, unless you want to go to the third decimal point. Very close to the same goal goals allowed per game as the winners of England and Italy. The whole of La Liga didn't allow goals last season because none of the top teams were able to score goals, but for the other three leagues Leipzig and Wolfsburg were right up there with best defenses in Europe last season statistically.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saka has played left back for half of that time and broke out for real this winter. He’s smarter, works harder off the ball, stretches the defence with runs in behind while also being able to drop deep and receive. He’s also a bigger goal threat than Sancho on the right despite what your stats say (Saka has only played on the right for half a season). Sancho isn’t even the same player type, so if you want him to start you half to bench Grealish who is a more comparable player (or Sterling who gives the attack an important dynamic). Saka and Grealish have been Englands best players this tournament and don’t deserve to be dropped.

I counted, and he only played LB 3 games.

I'm not sure what playing on the right versus the left matters. Sancho scores playing on both sides. He had 14 goals in 1102 minutes playing RW this season. Did Saka have anywhere close to that? No, he didn't.

Saka might be good in a few years, but this is a little like the Mount discussion. He might do other things that don't show up on the scoresheet and I'm sure he has plenty of intangibles, but England has 2 goals in 3 games. You need players that influence what wins games, goals. Their best offensive player is sitting on the bench having played 6 minutes through 3 games. Saka, Grealish, Sterling, Foden, it doesn't really matter. You play your best players. England has 2 goals in 3 games, and they aren't playing their best attackers. How are you making a serious argument that Sancho shouldn't be playing?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sounds like Saka made the starting 11 based on his training work ethic since camp started. Southgate is the kind of manager that puts added emphasis on training, my guess is he has not been impressed with Sancho in training, and he has not gotten the minutes due to that. Now that Saka has made it into the team it's going to be hard to dislodge him, he played really well yesterday.

I'm not saying it's the right decision to keep Sancho on the bench, but my guess is there is more context behind the scenes.

Reactions: maclean

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't see a pressing need to play Sancho. I don't know that he is clearly better than any of the other options. I'm not saying he shouldn't play, but I don't think Saka is clearly the worse option. Every little squad choice with England seems to get magnified by the media to a crazy degree. I'm not saying Southgate is one of the great minds of the game..but I also don't think you're going to find those great minds on Fleet Street or HFBoards for that matter.

Reactions: cgf, Havre and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So now you agree he's a product of Nagelsmann but thats somehow an indictment on the Bundesliga? How does that make any sense?

And Leipzig had the same goals allowed per game as Chelsea, unless you want to go to the third decimal point. Very close to the same goal goals allowed per game as the winners of England and Italy. The whole of La Liga didn't allow goals last season because none of the top teams were able to score goals, but for the other three leagues Leipzig and Wolfsburg were right up there with best defenses in Europe last season statistically.
He was a product of Nagelsmann, and scored so much partly because of him but mostly he played in a system that suited him in the Bundesliga where there is insane space to run in behind (and Werner is primarilly going to score like that). As for your Saka argument, he was one of the best players in the Premier League since december. He played left wing back for 19 games in total.

And I really think you are overrating Sancho a bit. He isn’t better than Grealish, Foden, Saka or Sterling. He’s on a similar level. Who you want to play is more to do with balance than anything else. I would not drop Saka or Grealish for him having watched the Czech game.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't see a pressing need to play Sancho. I don't know that he is clearly better than any of the other options. I'm not saying he shouldn't play, but I don't think Saka is clearly the worse option. Every little squad choice with England seems to get magnified by the media to a crazy degree. I'm not saying Southgate is one of the great minds of the game..but I also don't think you're going to find those great minds on Fleet Street or HFBoards for that matter.

More or less this.

Sancho might obviously get 20 mins and create 2 goals in the next game, but I don't think it is necessarily down to incompetence that he isn't playing.

I agree there isn't necessarily that much between the different players and obviously we do not know who is looking sharp in training etc. Look at Kane. No-one doubts that he is England's best forward, but does he look at his best? I would say certainly not. Point being a player isn't some sort of static thing- form etc matters. If Sancho is a bit out of it, like Kane, then clearly he shouldn't play. We wouldn't know.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not like scoring in the EPL is hard. With 18 scorer points in 35 premiere league matches, Werner's 1st EPL season trumped the output of his first 2 BuLi seasons combined (13pts in 62 games).

Just imagine how much he'll score in that joke of a league once he's acclimated :naughty:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad