Euro: Group D: ENG vs. CZE, SCO vs. CRO, 6/22/2021

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
England and Czech Republic have secured third place at the very least, but not advancement just yet. That picture will be more clear tomorrow and Monday.

• Czech Republic will finish first in the group with a win or draw against England, based on its superior goal differential. Even with a loss, the Czechs will finish second unless Croatia beats Scotland and overtakes them in goal differential.
  • England will advance with a win or draw tie against Czech Republic, or with a Croatia win or draw against Scotland. England will win the group with a win against Czech Republic.
  • Croatia could finish second with a win over Scotland and a Czech Republic loss, but only with a big gain in goal differential. Croatia must win to have any chance to advance.
  • Scotland could still finish second with a win over Croatia and an England loss. Scotland must beat Croatia to avoid finishing last in the group.

Reactions: Czechboy

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Don’t see any chance Croatia win, just an air of negativity around the team and Dalic is giving defeatist answers and looks beaten down

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think the Czechs will win but not because they are better (no argument the English side is stronger).

I think it is better to finish 2nd in this pool.

It could end with England getting it altogether and slaughtering us 4-0 and then being out in the round of 16 while we move on for a more equal match and chance at the quarters.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
After yesterday's games, Czech Republic is officially guaranteed through, even with a third place finish

Reactions: Czechboy

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With Mount out, england should play Foden & Bellingham in front of Rice in the midfield. Stick Sancho in Foden spot on the wing, and that's starting to look like a good team.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
For me I think the central midfield for England has been solid. And I think there is more than enough "fire power" even when they play two fairly defensive minded central midfield players (both are capable of breaking through lines - so they are not one dimensional defensive players). Problem for me has been the lack of rhythm and role understanding among the front 4. Who is to dictate the tempo? Who should control the ball when? You got players like Grealish who is clearly the main man at Villa, but how will that balance out when you got several others with somewhat similar roles in their club teams? Who is Son when Kane drops deep?

The more I think about it the more I would go Grealish - Kane - Rashford. Rashford got some similar qualities to Son - and Grealish could obviously play the Eriksen-role (if you want to compare it completely to Spurs). 4th guy would probably be Mount for me, but obviously he wouldn't play this. Could be cool to see Bellingham with the two deep CMs. I think that could work as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They just announced that Grealish gets the start tonight. I have not seen word that Sancho is drawing in...Seems ludicrous to have this guy stapled to the bench.

Hoping to see more from Grealish then...cause I still feel like he's more Diego / van der Vaart than he is Özil / de Bruyne, if that tracks. A good playmaker but not a world-class one; someone who is much less effective when an offense doesn't flow through him / isn't built around him and so has a limit on how good of a team he can consistently play for.

So hopefully he proves me wrong and shows he belongs in that Sancho / Foden / Mount category of flexible english creatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For me I think the central midfield for England has been solid. And I think there is more than enough "fire power" even when they play two fairly defensive minded central midfield players (both are capable of breaking through lines - so they are not one dimensional defensive players). Problem for me has been the lack of rhythm and role understanding among the front 4. Who is to dictate the tempo? Who should control the ball when? You got players like Grealish who is clearly the main man at Villa, but how will that balance out when you got several others with somewhat similar roles in their club teams? Who is Son when Kane drops deep?

The more I think about it the more I would go Grealish - Kane - Rashford. Rashford got some similar qualities to Son - and Grealish could obviously play the Eriksen-role (if you want to compare it completely to Spurs). 4th guy would probably be Mount for me, but obviously he wouldn't play this. Could be cool to see Bellingham with the two deep CMs. I think that could work as well.

Are you talking in theory or so far at this tourney? Cause on the pitch, their midfield being overly pragmatic & lacking technical quality / creativity, has been a clear issue IMO. Replacing Phillips with Bellingham could do the trick, but I think the clearest solution is playing Foden alongside Mount in the midfield whenever Mount is done quarantining.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I was putting money on Scotland today with Gilmour in... now i am not so sure. Does the this second golden generation still have fight left? Perisic, Modric . Lovren, Vida... Rebic will give everything..

Go Scotland..

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Are you talking in theory or so far at this tourney? Cause on the pitch, their midfield being overly pragmatic & lacking technical quality / creativity, has been a clear issue IMO. Replacing Phillips with Bellingham could do the trick, but I think the clearest solution is playing Foden alongside Mount in the midfield whenever Mount is done quarantining.

Would have to ask you the same question?

I think Phillips clearly showed against Croatia that he is more than capable of being the creative force in certain situations for England.

How many times have players like Sterling slowed things down? That one sequence that I guess started trending on Twitter was a good example. Doesn't matter who plays as CMs when your attackers just start slowing play down that way (even if Sterling probably should have had a penalty in that specific play).

The team also seems confused on how to play their full backs. Which again has nothing to do with the CMs. All of their full backs are quite capable in being part of an attack, but the combination of some terrible individual performances as well as this lack of understanding between the full backs and the wingers have just created confusion it seems.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I don’t think replicating Spurs is a good idea if England wants to actually win a trophy.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Would have to ask you the same question?

I think Phillips clearly showed against Croatia that he is more than capable of being the creative force in certain situations for England.

How many times have players like Sterling slowed things down? That one sequence that I guess started trending on Twitter was a good example. Doesn't matter who plays as CMs when your attackers just start slowing play down that way (even if Sterling probably should have had a penalty in that specific play).

The team also seems confused on how to play their full backs. Which again has nothing to do with the CMs. All of their full backs are quite capable in being part of an attack, but the combination of some terrible individual performances as well as this lack of understanding between the full backs and the wingers have just created confusion it seems.

Creative force is a bit much, Croatia left him with acres of space and almost nicked a draw...which is the problem. If a mediocre team can stifle England just by focusing on their better midfielders, then good teams will shut England down unless they swap Phillips for someone that can reliably punish teams who ignore him.

Certainly not the only issue with how Southgate is playing them, but it's a big one that exacerbates some of the other problems with their attacking play...i.e. since just getting into dangerous areas is more of a struggle, the bad mix in the front 3 is even more pronounced...similar thing with the FBs, even with them being poorly utilized, having their best midfield would draw even more attention centrally to open more space on the flanks, while also ensuring that the ball circulated out wide, better.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
When the likes of Sterling receive the ball well up the pitch and they just #"%%#""# there really isn't much Phillips or Rice could do with that. And Bellingham isn't exactly Gascoigne either.

Arguing that was quite possibly the best player on the pitch against Croatia was the problem I find odd. I know Phillips wasn't seen as a sexy player on here in the build up, but I just don't see it for the games they have played so far. I cannot guarantee that Phillips continues to play well of course.

England might even not have to change much. Even a settled City under Guardiola needed time to get going last season. For national teams it is a bit random who finds some rhythm and who just won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad