GDT: Group D • May 4 • Denmark 3, Latvia 2 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Seems like I've been underestimating Denmark. Their hockey quality has been increasing in the past 2-3 years. Ours has, let's say, survived a harsh winter, and I don't know if the winter is over yet.
Yes, DEN pulled off some miracles last year, but I thought it was just luck. It's getting tougher and tougher to get in to or stay in elite Division. Too many good and stable team popping up (GER, DEN, NOR...).

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
if not for KHL - Ozolinsh would have long like retired, Karsums and Sprukts would have still been dwelling in the AHL, the rest of your quality guys - playing in low-mid level European leagues. Gudlevskis would have never traveled to NA to play for the MHL team (would have been anoother player too if not for passport problem (yakovlev?)), Podzinsh would have probably never played for Latvija as well...it's crazy to say that KHL is not good for Latvija...

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Seems like I've been underestimating Denmark. Their hockey quality has been increasing in the past 2-3 years. Ours has, let's say, survived a harsh winter, and I don't know if the winter is over yet.
Yes, DEN pulled off some miracles last year, but I thought it was just luck. It's getting tougher and tougher to get in to or stay in elite Division. Too many good and stable team popping up (GER, DEN, NOR...).

Well, Den and Norway are not sitting pat, a lot of Swedes are coaching there, sort of like back in a day many Russians helped raise Finnish hockey to another level

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
(1) Danish players do not play in KHL because they lack skill. We do too, so thank a couple of Russian billionaires that they've allowed RD to be formed. Or else, most of our players would be playing in Belarus.
(2) No foreigners play in Denmark right now, except for a couple in each team. I've heard it's due to financial difficulties, but not sure.
(3) Look at U-18 and U-20 now and ten years ago, and then talk about purging LHF.

I'm not talking about KHL, which is not even "our" league. There is just a team there with 85% Latvians, but run by ex-KGB officers and failed politicians. I'm talking about our internal home Ice Hockey league. I don't even know how many teams there are. There were six once and one went bankrupt recently. Jesus!

LHF has to be purged nevertheless. It has to be run by fanatics, not by businessmen.

Peter K

Dec 30, 2009
Latvija
if not for KHL - Ozolinsh would have long like retired, Karsums and Sprukts would have still been dwelling in the AHL, the rest of your quality guys - playing in low-mid level European leagues. Gudlevskis would have never traveled to NA to play for the MHL team (would have been anoother player too if not for passport problem (yakovlev?)), Podzinsh would have probably never played for Latvija as well...it's crazy to say that KHL is not good for Latvija...
Exactly. Moreover, the Latvian League is not competing for those guys you mentioned.
Strong national league is great, but, to be honest, it's not a must. Our youngsters get to play as in North America, as in Russia and Finland. Those who stay home, well, wouldn't be any decent players anyhow.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
I hope Denmark really picks up their development. I'd love to see more Danes in the NHL than Frans Nielsen and Lars Eller.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I'm not talking about KHL, which is not even "our" league. There is just a team there with 85% Latvians, but run by ex-KGB officers and failed politicians. I'm talking about our internal home Ice Hockey league. I don't even know how many teams there are. There were six once and one went bankrupt recently. Jesus!

LHF has to be purged nevertheless. It has to be run by fanatics, not by businessmen.

lol, KHL and Dinamo Riga is a greatest blessing in disguise for a Latvijan hockey fan, you are ridiculous...as for who runs it? who cares as far as you get to see most of your best players playing home...we all know how things are ran in our parts of the world.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Thread needs to get back on track now, guys. Feel free to continue the discussion though PMs or start a new thread.

Peter K

Dec 30, 2009
Latvija
OK, back to game.
Interesting reference to Turku, when the game was tied 2:2 after the 2nd as well.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Our youngsters get to play as in North America, as in Russia and Finland. Those who stay home, well, wouldn't be any decent players anyhow.

It is hard to be away from home all the time. Why do they have to travel abroad so far if they could compete here? Besides, if they stay in USA they mostly lose contact with Latvia and usually just settle there.

As for Danes not playing in KHL, I think they prefer SWE leagues. It's closer to Denmark.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
lol, KHL and Dinamo Riga is a greatest blessing in disguise for a Latvijan hockey fan, you are ridiculous...as for who runs it? who cares as far as you get to see most of your best players playing home...we all know how things are ran in our parts of the world.

I'm not denying it. But most of the fans don't care about anything beyond that one team. There is no emotional connection to the KHL at all. No pride or whatsoever. The league is strong and it's not my business if Latvian players want to play there, but having a local league won't hurt.

Danish goalie - unstoppable. And now it's OT, just as I predicted.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I'm not denying it. But most of the fans don't care about anything beyond that one team. There is no emotional connection to the KHL at all.
are u a Russian speaker? u ever been to allhockey.ru? DR games have the most amount of posts all the time
No pride or whatsoever. The league is strong and it's not my business if Latvian players want to play there, but having a local league won't hurt.
agree with you 100% I posted that earlier, all the teams going bankrupt, should definitely develop the domestic league as well

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I'm not denying it. But most of the fans don't care about anything beyond that one team. There is no emotional connection to the KHL at all.

are u a Russian speaker? u ever been to allhockey.ru? DR games have the most amount of posts all the time

No pride or whatsoever. The league is strong and it's not my business if Latvian players want to play there, but having a local league won't hurt.
agree with you 100% I posted that earlier, all the teams going bankrupt, should definitely develop the domestic league as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad