World Cup: Group C: Peru vs. Denmark, 6/16/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
lol, talk about underrating... it wouldn't be a surprise at all if Peru qualified from the group.

Not sure I agree.. Obviously anything can happen in one game but on paper Denmark is the stronger team fairly easily imo. It's not like Peru is a up and coming young squad. Their best player is 34 years old. If Peru had any players with crazy potential they'd be playing in Europe by now.

Reactions: King 88

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Denmark are also well structured and good technically.

Either I am overestimating Denmark or people are underestimating them, since no non scandi experts have Denmark progressing 2nd, they choose Peru and Even Australia.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Denmark, although I can understand all of the respect that Peru is getting. Qualifying through CONMEBOL is no joke, as we all know...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not sure I agree.. Obviously anything can happen in one game but on paper Denmark is the stronger team fairly easily imo. It's not like Peru is a up and coming young squad. Their best player is 34 years old. If Peru had any players with crazy potential they'd be playing in Europe by now.

Yes, but have you ever watched them? They beat Uruguay, who everyone thinks will win Group A. Both teams are good and we'll see what happens. These games aren't played on paper and are decided by execution and teamwork.

Peru also used pretty much the same team for the whole last two years. Very few newcomers, they know how to play together. Costa Rica got through a group with Uruguay, Italy, and England by using the exact same template. United States did the same against Portugal. Can't really judge only by paper.

Reactions: cgf

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Yes, but have you ever watched them? They beat Uruguay, who everyone thinks will win Group A. Both teams are good and we'll see what happens. These games aren't played on paper and are decided by execution and teamwork.

Peru also used pretty much the same team for the whole last two years.

Yes, I happened to watch a bunch of Peru's games because I live in Southern California as well as all of Denmarks games because I grew up there (hence the Danish bias). Peru is a good team! No question about that and anything can happen for sure. I just think Peru is being overrated by North Americans in general. Denmark also played with close to the same team for 2 years and are currently on a hotter streak than Peru. I don't think any of that means anything.

It should be a great opening match regardless with the winner more than likely taking the 2nd spot in the group.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

No, this isn't an "anything can happen" scenario if Peru beats Denmark. Peru's last loss came in November 2016 against Brazil. They finished qualifying unbeaten against the likes of Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia. Better than anything Denmark has done recently. You might look at their squad and not be impressed but as a collective team they are on Denmark's level. There's no clear favourite, it's likely a 50/50 game. If you're expecting an easy win on Saturday you're in for a rude awakening.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think Peru somehow is getting overrated... never thought this can be TBH. But one of the biggest reasons why they're in is because Chile started bitching and karma caught up to them. Combine that with Argentina and Uruguay being in turmoil and you have yourself a campaign that looks much better than the reality.

I still say this is 50/50 but push comes to shove I think the Danes take it. Could easily be tipped in Peru's favour though.

Reactions: Eisen

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
No, this isn't an "anything can happen" scenario if Peru beats Denmark. Peru's last loss came in November 2016 against Brazil. They finished qualifying unbeaten against the likes of Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia. Better than anything Denmark has done recently. You might look at their squad and not be impressed but as a collective team they are on Denmark's level. There's no clear favourite, it's likely a 50/50 game. If you're expecting an easy win on Saturday you're in for a rude awakening.

Never said I was expecting an easy win... Betting companies would disagree that it is a 50/50 game so if you are so confident I'd hurry up and throw down some cash.

Denmark hasn't lost since November either... The Danish team have always been about the "collective team" for as long as they have played.

I just can't see what gives Peru the advantage...

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I think Peru somehow is getting overrated... never thought this can be TBH. But one of the biggest reasons why they're in is because Chile started *****ing and karma caught up to them. Combine that with Argentina and Uruguay being in turmoil and you have yourself a campaign that looks much better than the reality.

I still say this is 50/50 but push comes to shove I think the Danes take it. Could easily be tipped in Peru's favour though.

What turmoil was Uruguay in? Regardless, Peru still got results against top teams.

Never said I was expecting an easy win... Betting companies would disagree that it is a 50/50 game so if you are so confident I'd hurry up and throw down some cash.

Denmark hasn't lost since November either... The Danish team have always been about the "collective team" for as long as they have played.

I just can't see what gives Peru the advantage...

Betting odds are adjusted given the bets that are being placed and not with the perceived probability of a result, so that's a futile point.

If I'm claiming it's a 50/50 game I don't get how you think I'm that confident in a Peru win, if anything I expect Denmark to pip them to second place. What I'm arguing against is your claim that it would be a surprise if Peru qualified. It wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilo

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't think it's overrating, it's respect. There's a history of teams who get through that qualifying having a decent or really good WC. Paraguay in 2010 was pretty much a garbage anti-football team and they made the QF. They almost beat Spain too and if Cardozo could take a penalty history may have been different.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I do expect a 50/50 game. Not sure how it's overrating Peru and/or underrating Denmark.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I expect a draw here too. And one of these two teams will draw France too. All three teams could beat Australia, but even that is not a given.
I expect France to top the group with 7 points. One of Denmark/Peru will have 5 points (DDW), the other will have 4 (DWL) and Australia 0.
But tbh, Australia could get a point out of anybody on any given day.

If Denmark or Peru wins this one, I expect the winning team to get through.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Definitely a tough group to call. It's easy to predict Australia with zero points but they're a team that tends to surprise so this is a truly a group where anyone can beat anyone (how easy to say), so as Evilo says, a win will mean a lot for either team here

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going with Peru winning and using the three points to take them to second in the group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad