World Cup: Group C: Peru vs. Denmark, 6/16/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I see two problems with this: 48 teams - way too many participants for the World Cup, and two games - just isn't enough for the group stage.

There will be the same amount of games in the group stage from a total perspective.
48x2=96
32x3=96

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
There will be the same amount of games in the group stage from a total perspective.
48x2=96
32x3=96
The number of games won't matter, if the quality of competition becomes considerably weaker. There aren't that many more good teams left to increase the participants count to 48. Moreover, qualification for the World Cup still has to be meaningful. Teams have to put effort to qualify for this major event.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
My biggest concern in groups of 3 is you can't play parallel games or even games on the same day. One team's first game would be one other team's second and potentially last game by default. This creates an interesting dynamic and also a weird schedule.

The total number of group stage games stays the same..so there would likely be much longer gaps between each team's two games. A team may enter the World Cup a whole 7 days after another team and that other team's World Cup may end just when the other team's gets started. One team will play in Game 1 and Game 3 of the group which may mean a near 2 week gap between games. The team who's 2nd match occurred in Game 2 may wait over 10 days for the K.O. round as well.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
16 groups of 3 is exactly horrible and awful.

You need a draw in your first game. If you get a draw, you are happy. We don't want teams to play for a draw, do we? Especially where both teams wants a draw.

If you lose your first match, you know you will be the team the two other teams agrees should go, and they will play accordingly.

A vs B
A vs C
C vs B

A plays B, and win. Now A will play C. C knows A is happy with a draw, and will advance with a draw. A knows C knows this. Instead of playing hard, A knows if they just passes the ball in their own half, C will know they will just have to get a draw in their own game against B.

Leaving us with A 4 points, C two points, and B 1 point.

Now that is actually the most exciting order of the games. The other one is worse.

A vs B
B vs C
A vs C

A plays B, and win. Now B will play C. C knows A will be happy with a draw in their last match, and will advance with a draw in their last match. A knows C knows this. Instead of playing hard in B vs C , C knows - in their first game- they have an opponent who needs to win, while they themselves are happy with a draw.

This is bad.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There aren't that many more good teams left to increase the participants count to 48

Honestly as a big CMNT fan I selfishly want this. The drought that has been going on since 1986 drives me mad. That being said I understand the challenges to this system.

I really hope Canada qualifies in 2022 especially if it is to be the last of the 32 team era (feels more legit)

Reactions: Firsov99

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Honestly as a big CMNT fan I selfishly want this. The drought that has been going on since 1986 drives me mad. That being said I understand the challenges to this system.

I really hope Canada qualifies in 2022 especially if it is to be the last of the 32 team era (feels more legit)
I like your honesty. 1986 WC was the first world cup that I watched, and I remember Canada playing in a very tough group with France, USSR, and Hungary. Hopefully, Canada can qualify for the next one.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I like your honesty. 1986 WC was the first world cup that I watched, and I remember Canada playing in a very tough group with France, USSR, and Hungary. Hopefully, Canada can qualify for the next one.

The glory days where the boys netted 0 goals! I have a feeling they will ;)

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I am going for Peru, especially after how obnoxious I saw the stupid Danish fans cheer for a bloke who missed a penalty. The goalkeeeper didn't even save it, stop celebrating like you won an effin game. Gezzz.
Just had to comment on this one:laugh: I Hope you understand what a goal can do in a ⚽️ match... ⚽️ is not:hockey: did you See the Fans from Peru when they Got the penalty? Sooo excited and of course its a big chance... if Peru had scored it would be a different match!!! Every fanbase or country would celebrate on a miss penalty...:popcorn: if you Think otherwise then im afraid you dont understand the passion of ⚽;)

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
and I still think Denmark are capable of much much more.

Doubtful. I expect all other teams to know that they should just put a guy on Eriksen. We saw the result of that yesterday. We have nothing if Eriksen is taken out.

We might go through to the last 16, but that is as far as this team can get us.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Doubtful. I expect all other teams to know that they should just put a guy on Eriksen. We saw the result of that yesterday. We have nothing if Eriksen is taken out.

We might go through to the last 16, but that is as far as this team can get us.
When I say much more, I mean, not making Peru look like Brazil, not magically going to the semi's.

I believe Denmark are more than Eriksen, but that Hareide is a bad tactician and coach.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Just had to comment on this one:laugh: I Hope you understand what a goal can do in a ⚽️ match... ⚽️ is not:hockey: did you See the Fans from Peru when they Got the penalty? Sooo excited and of course its a big chance... if Peru had scored it would be a different match!!! Every fanbase or country would celebrate on a miss penalty...:popcorn: if you Think otherwise then im afraid you dont understand the passion of ⚽;)
Yeah, for sure an unnecessary jab at Danish fans.

I cheered when he missed, I guess that makes me obnoxious aswell.

Generally a negative vibe towards Denmark.

Reactions: DashingDane

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Btw I feel the ref ruined the flow of the game everytime the ball was on Danish feet or in the air.

The Danes were penalized for being bigger, and the ref constantly blew for a freekick to Peru.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad